Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

hyhuu

Oct 18, 2011, 2:41 PM
Post #26 of 56 (2815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
I tend to think "moderate"=5.9-5.11a. No specific reason for it, other than in our gym the climbs in that range are called moderate (with mod- being 5.9-5.10a, and mod+ being 5.10d-5.11a)

If you walk up to ANY 5.11a in the Gunks or North Conway and more than likely, no one will be on it.

True. We have happily exploited this phenomenon at the Gunks before.

blueeyedclimber wrote:
In my view, moderate is defined as a large percentage of the climbing population can do without trouble. 5.11a, or even 5.10+, in most (if not all) trad areas, does not fit that bill. I think our views toward what constitutes a moderate might be influenced by inflated gym grades and the actual numbers pushed outside (5.15+?), when in actuality the extreme end of the climbing grades are only pushed by a VERY small number of climbers, which should not raise where moderates fall. IMO, of course Wink

Josh

Well, if you read the rest of my post, I did say that 5.9-5.11 was effectively moderate for sport, and 5.8-5.10b moderate for trad, because not as many people push the grades on gear.

I guess I agree with you in respect to the fact that what is "moderate" changes somewhat from area to area, if you define "moderate" as something that the majority of climbers in the area would be able to do. But I don't think it is fair to use how many people you see on climbs of specific grades as a way to gauge what is moderate, or not.

Gunks seem to be rather skewed in this respect. I didn't find the climbs themselves to be notably more difficult at the Gunks than climbs of the same grade at the New, for example. Yet many 5.11s will be busy on any given weekend at the New.

5.10-5.11 is certainly easy-moderate at the Red, but if you go solely by how many people you can see on the climbs, the argument you use to support your claim that 5.11 is not moderate, then 5.12s and 5.13s fall into moderate category at the Red, too, because there are always people on them, it is not uncommon to wait in line for a popular 5.12/5.13 at a popular crag. Heck, even 5.14s are all busy on a good fall weekend.

In general, protection for Gunks 11s are not as great as 11s at the New. Same can be said for Seneca.

kachoong

Oct 18, 2011, 2:55 PM
Post #27 of 56 (2808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
I've been seeing a few different definitions of "moderate" lately. Is it "5.6 and below" or maybe in the 5.9-5.10 range?

Just curious to see what most people consider to be a moderate grade. Does it change between sport/trad? Is there such thing as moderate boulders?

You should be aspiring to NOT climb the moderates. Or did someone downgrade your project to moderate?

Kartessa

Oct 18, 2011, 2:59 PM
Post #28 of 56 (2805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
I've been seeing a few different definitions of "moderate" lately. Is it "5.6 and below" or maybe in the 5.9-5.10 range?

Just curious to see what most people consider to be a moderate grade. Does it change between sport/trad? Is there such thing as moderate boulders?

You should be aspiring to NOT climb the moderates. Or did someone downgrade your project to moderate?

One day I'll climb 5.7... one day.

johnwesely

Oct 18, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #29 of 56 (2795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
if 5.10 was still the hardest grade, it would save a lot of confusion

Except for the confusion created by everything from 5.10 to 5.15 sharing the same grade.

Partner cracklover

Oct 18, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #30 of 56 (2792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the term is completely useless, and should be expunged from the climber vocabulary.

It means whatever people want it to mean, so it actually conveys nothing at all. If someone says: "Tell me some moderate routes I should get on when I'm in your area" the only way I can make head or tail of the request is to find out what "moderate" means to that person. How totally and completely useless. They may as well have asked "Tell me some routes I should get on when I'm in your area."

If we stopped using that stupid term tomorrow, our language would be no poorer for the loss.

GO

kachoong

Oct 18, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #31 of 56 (2783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I think the term is completely useless, and should be expunged from the climber vocabulary.

It means whatever people want it to mean, so it actually conveys nothing at all. If someone says: "Tell me some moderate routes I should get on when I'm in your area" the only way I can make head or tail of the request is to find out what "moderate" means to that person. How totally and completely useless. They may as well have asked "Tell me some routes I should get on when I'm in your area."

If we stopped using that stupid term tomorrow, our language would be no poorer for the loss.

GO

Vocabulary is such an overused word!

donald949

Oct 18, 2011, 4:02 PM
Post #32 of 56 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

One day I'll climb 5.7... one day.
5.7 is fun!
In fact I'll say its the most funnest.

caughtinside

Oct 18, 2011, 4:23 PM
Post #33 of 56 (2767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

GO

You think? What if someone asked you for easy routes? hard routes?

blueeyedclimber

Oct 18, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #34 of 56 (2760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

It would be the same useless question. He would have to respond with, "What is easy and hard for you?"

Josh

kachoong

Oct 18, 2011, 4:34 PM
Post #35 of 56 (2756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

It would be the same useless question. He would have to respond with, "What is easy and hard for you?"

Josh

A climber with any whiff of knowledge about climbing would be asking for specific grades, not asking vague questions like that anyway.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 18, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #36 of 56 (2751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:

A climber with any whiff of knowledge about climbing
would be asking for specific grades, not asking vague questions like that anyway.

So, no one here then. Angelic

Josh

kachoong

Oct 18, 2011, 4:43 PM
Post #37 of 56 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
kachoong wrote:

would be asking for specific grades, not asking vague questions like that anyway.

Josh

Where? In Massachusetts?

lena_chita

Oct 18, 2011, 4:50 PM
Post #38 of 56 (2736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

Josh

A climber with any whiff of knowledge about climbing would be asking for specific grades, not asking vague questions like that anyway.

Only on internets... This is what the conversation would sound like in real life:

Person 1: Hey, I'm new to the area, looking for something moderate routes to start on. Any suggestions?

Person 2: well, there is this classic 5.9 (5.7, 5.11, etc.) that everyone HAS to do if they are visiting. Totally cool climb, you should get on it.

Person 1: thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I was hoping for something in that grade range (or easier, or harder).

Person 2: Oh, in that case, you should get on...

This is the way the conversation would NOT go;

Person 1: Hey, I'm new to the area, looking for something moderate routes to start on. Any suggestions?

Person 2: well, if you had a whiff of knowledge, you would be asking for climbs in specific grade range, not vague questions like that! Dumbass! STFU.

rtwilli4

Oct 18, 2011, 4:57 PM
Post #39 of 56 (2730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

We had a pretty good argument about this last year and most people disagreed with me about what I think is moderate. I think of it this way:

Sport:
Easy - <=5.10
Moderate - 5.10+ to 5.12-
Hard - 5.12 to 5.13+
Very Hard and World Class is blurred depending on a lot of things that don't matter to any of us.

Trad:
Easy - <5.9
Moderate - 5.9 to 5.10
Hard - 5.10+ to 5.12
Again, no reason for any of us to worry about the difference between VH and World Class

It totally depends on where you are. I've been on 5.8's that were pretty damn hard and I've also been on 5.9's that didn't even warm me up.

The more you climb the more you realize that grades are pretty inconsistent, sometimes even at the same crag.

If you know how to get yourself out of a mess, then it doesn't really matter what grade the climb is now does it?

Partner cracklover

Oct 18, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #40 of 56 (2712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

Sheesh, way to get in the way of a good rant. Laugh

But, honestly, I think I would have at least a *little* more of a clue what to suggest if the person asked for "easy" or "hard". At least if I knew a bit about that person's climbing.

Not as much if they asked for "moderate". It just means such different things to different people.

GO

blueeyedclimber

Oct 18, 2011, 6:46 PM
Post #41 of 56 (2704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Josh

Where? In Massachusetts?

Yes. No one here climbs. We just drive like jerks and beat everyone else's sports teams. Although that seems to be coming to an end. Maybe I'll start climbing now and move to Texas. Any good climbing down there? If the climbing is as good as the politics, then it must be AWESOME!

JoshCool

kachoong

Oct 18, 2011, 6:53 PM
Post #42 of 56 (2698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
kachoong wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Josh

Where? In Massachusetts?

Yes. No one here climbs. We just drive like jerks and beat everyone else's sports teams. Although that seems to be coming to an end. Maybe I'll start climbing now and move to Texas. Any good climbing down there? If the climbing is as good as the politics, then it must be AWESOME!

JoshCool

I would say you have moderate footballers up there... TX is where most of the hard core players come from. Drivers in TX are probably bigger jerks too... but I have yet to drive in the NE. Crags here are moderately-endowed with plenty of easy-moderate climbs. I know nothing of politics... I'm a koala.

teo916

Oct 18, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #43 of 56 (2673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Only on internets... This is what the conversation would sound like in real life:

Person 2: well, there is this classic 5.9 (5.7, 5.11, etc.) that everyone HAS to do if they are visiting. Totally cool climb, you should get on it.

Person 1: thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I was hoping for something in that grade range (or easier, or harder).

Person 2: Oh, in that case, you should get on...

This is the way the conversation would go on rc.com;
In reply to:

Person 2: well, if you had a whiff of knowledge, you would be asking for climbs in specific grade range, not vague questions like that! Dumbass! STFU.
FTFY - TEO

teo916

Oct 18, 2011, 8:12 PM
Post #44 of 56 (2673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Like ratings, this is subjective and open to people's opinion. Some people like to seem like hardasses so they say anything under 5.12 is "moderate."

IMO, it depends on the area and the population that climbs there. For example, up at Rumney, a large collection of people can climb 5.10, so maybe moderates are 5.10a and below. At the Gunks, a much smaller population is climbing 5.10, so maybe moderates are 5.9 or 8 and below. In North Conway, an even smaller population is climbing 5.10. You see where I'm going with this?

As far as sport vs. trad goes, yes it makes a difference, because of the percentage of climbers that can climb certain grades.

Josh

Do you think this is because of the way the climbs are rated from one location to another, or because of the skill level of the climber population there?

sbaclimber

Oct 18, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #45 of 56 (2664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
kachoong wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
kachoong wrote:

Josh

Where? In Massachusetts?

JoshCool

I would say you have moderate footballers up there... TX is where most of the hard core players come from. Drivers in TX are probably bigger jerks too... but I have yet to drive in the NE.
Just wait until you do....Pirate

johnwesely

Oct 18, 2011, 8:26 PM
Post #46 of 56 (2662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teo916] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

teo916 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Like ratings, this is subjective and open to people's opinion. Some people like to seem like hardasses so they say anything under 5.12 is "moderate."

IMO, it depends on the area and the population that climbs there. For example, up at Rumney, a large collection of people can climb 5.10, so maybe moderates are 5.10a and below. At the Gunks, a much smaller population is climbing 5.10, so maybe moderates are 5.9 or 8 and below. In North Conway, an even smaller population is climbing 5.10. You see where I'm going with this?

As far as sport vs. trad goes, yes it makes a difference, because of the percentage of climbers that can climb certain grades.

Josh

Do you think this is because of the way the climbs are rated from one location to another, or because of the skill level of the climber population there?

It is a bit of the former and mostly the latter.

rockman517

Oct 18, 2011, 8:33 PM
Post #47 of 56 (2657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I generally refer to boulders in the V5-V9 range as moderate. I feel this range reflects the middle ground between beginners (V4 and under), and more advanced climbing (V10 and up). I believe a majority of people who boulder regularly find themselves maxing out in the moderate range I described above. I do believe that this fluctuates based on the climbing population of the region, and the specific area. In other words, it's not scientific, important, or reliable.

byran

Oct 18, 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #48 of 56 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure the term "moderate" comes out of the alpine/mountaineering arena from way back in the day. A pitch of "easy 5th class" (5.5 and under) can often be navigated without a rope and you could perhaps bring along a follower who has limited technical climbing experience.

By contrast, a "moderate" 5th class rock climb (5.6-5.8) demands a party with well developed climbing skills, will most likely be done with a rope, and poor conditions (ice or water on the route) could drastically impair the ascent.

"Hard" pitches of 5th class (5.9 or 5.10) in the mountains are best left to the badasses, or at least that used to be the case back when that grade was the limit and you were protecting the climb with hexes and pitons. As always, the sport has progressed so none of this is really valid anymore.

The confusion I think arises when some people try to apply "moderate" to a modern sport crag where the warm-up is 5.11c, while others are still using the term to indicate 5.6's and 5.7's, as it originally did.

Bag11s

Oct 19, 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #49 of 56 (2612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe I am an example of your average climber who climbs at a moderate level. Bag11s is what I mean. This general level was first climbed by many in Germany well before I was born in the mid twentieth century. I therefore cannot conclude that even the hardest things I have done are actually beyond moderate. If you look at my profile, you will see that I have recorded some of the moderate climbs I have been able to complete. There are quite a number of other moderates that I have also climbed that I have not recorded. So maybe I have climbed a few hundred moderates, some of them once, some a few times, and a few of them many times. I also have not recorded a very large but not documented number of easy climbs that I have done, probably thousands. So far, I have not been able to complete any climbs that might be considered beyond moderate (advanced), even though on occasion I have spent many, many days attempting to do so.

I do not think 5.8 or 5.9 is moderate. Today 5.8 and 5.9 must surely be considered beginners or “easy” climbs. Even though (for example) Recombeast, on Cathedral Ledge is highly coveted, physical, thuggy, and a fantastic tick on great granite architecture- in this later day- it should be considered the type of thing that a beginner aspires to, and yet is at most- an entry level moderate. Like Eric says- “my amp goes to 11” even though, I do have 12 scribbled on that bastard with a magic marker, and that’s fun because I can say well, it goes to 12, doesn’t it? Unfortunately for me, getting to the harder ones of those, or any where beyond, seems like you must just have to go beyond moderation.

binrat

Oct 24, 2011, 2:48 PM
Post #50 of 56 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bag11s] "Moderate" Climbs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On Ontario Limestone:
Sport - 5.8-5.10D
Trad - 5.7-5.9

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook