RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

illusiondweller

Dec 7, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #1 of 17 (12819 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by illusiondweller
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

JAB

Dec 8, 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #2 of 17 (12714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [illusiondweller] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That sucks. Basic medical care should be very affordable, not requiring a separate insurance. Hope you get it sorted out!

donwanadi

Dec 8, 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #3 of 17 (12691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't know how much the bill is then why are you asking for money? If you get $500 and the bill is $300 are you going to give the money back? This kid is 20, he doesn't have family that can spare a few hundred dollars?

If this isn't bullshit, it's nice that you are helping out your friend. You are not responsible for his injury. He made the decision not to wear a helmet on his own.

(This post was edited by donwanadi on Dec 8, 2011, 2:24 PM)

sungam

Dec 8, 2011, 2:30 PM
Post #4 of 17 (12676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
If you don't know how much the bill is then why are you asking for money?
Yeah, RC.com has had some pretty serious issues with people trying to scam money through this kinda thing in the past, without details I severely doubt people are just going to dump cash into some random paypal account.

illusiondweller

Dec 8, 2011, 5:13 PM
Post #5 of 17 (12600 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by illusiondweller [In reply to]
Report this Post

illusiondweller

Dec 8, 2011, 5:16 PM
Post #6 of 17 (12593 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by illusiondweller [In reply to]
Report this Post

donwanadi

Dec 8, 2011, 5:32 PM
Post #7 of 17 (12571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

illusiondweller wrote:
A better explanation of my actions towards Brad, would be: Compassion - a mixed passion, compounded of love and sorrow. Love - a wiling (that's a decision), sacrificial giving of oneself (it's going to hurt or result in a cost), for the benefit of another (it's not about you), with no thought of return.

If you're going to be condescending (Acting in a way that betrays a feeling of patronizing superiority.), at least check your spelling (Correctly putting together the symbols that form words.).

(This post was edited by donwanadi on Dec 8, 2011, 5:34 PM)

sungam

Dec 8, 2011, 5:41 PM
Post #8 of 17 (12556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

illusiondweller wrote:
Well, you can have faith that it's not just "some random paypal account" for I have already deposited into Brad's account.
Well, people "had faith" in the past and got jacked.

So there is some unknown amount of money that needs to be paid to an unknown medical center, and it is unknown how much short the dude called "Brad" (last name cook possibly?) is on said payment.

Not dumping your cash into that account isn't a lack of compassion, it's the presence of not being a dumbass.

If it turns out there is a dude who got hurt by falling rocks I would strongly consider tossing a couple bucks into a fund to help with the med bills.

But at this point I feel bad helping out Brad when the heir to the nigerian throne is desperately in need of help from a western bank account to safe store his father's entire fortune - I mean a whole country desperately needs my help!

markc

Dec 8, 2011, 7:01 PM
Post #9 of 17 (12510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
illusiondweller wrote:
Well, you can have faith that it's not just "some random paypal account" for I have already deposited into Brad's account.
Well, people "had faith" in the past and got jacked.

So there is some unknown amount of money that needs to be paid to an unknown medical center, and it is unknown how much short the dude called "Brad" (last name cook possibly?) is on said payment.

Not dumping your cash into that account isn't a lack of compassion, it's the presence of not being a dumbass.

If it turns out there is a dude who got hurt by falling rocks I would strongly consider tossing a couple bucks into a fund to help with the med bills.

But at this point I feel bad helping out Brad when the heir to the nigerian throne is desperately in need of help from a western bank account to safe store his father's entire fortune - I mean a whole country desperately needs my help!

This. I could set up a paypal account for my "friend," create some accident, and then start hitting people up for cash. Saying you donated doesn't give me any faith in the least, especially with how hard you're pushing this. Your story may well be true, but where are details sungam asked for? Where's a scan of the hospital invoice with personal info removed?

On the Taco, there are a lot of suggestions to negotiate the bill down, to seek aid from different agencies, etc. A web search will produce similar suggestions, as well as arranging for some interest-free nominal monthly payment. Maybe it sounds harsh, but I wouldn't kick anything in the middle until I knew Brad took steps to deal with this and is still overwhelmed. I've been in a similar position, and went without coverage for years.

clee03m

Dec 20, 2011, 7:16 PM
Post #10 of 17 (12211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a very good advise. Most hospitals and doctors will work with underinsured and uninsured to work out a payment. As insurances would pay much less anyways, the uninsured can first work out a lower bill. Then they can work out a reasonable payment option. Doctors are happy that an uninsure patient would even bother to pay at all as many simply ignore the bill. And a gesture goes a long way even if the payment in the end amounts to not much.

Good luck to you and your friend.

damienclimber

Dec 21, 2011, 1:13 AM
Post #11 of 17 (12125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
This is a very good advise. Most hospitals and doctors will work with underinsured and uninsured to work out a payment. As insurances would pay much less anyways, the uninsured can first work out a lower bill. Then they can work out a reasonable payment option. Doctors are happy that an uninsure patient would even bother to pay at all as many simply ignore the bill. And a gesture goes a long way even if the payment in the end amounts to not much.

Good luck to you and your friend.

Doctors are usually overpaid, and often try to sucker patients into unnecessary procedures.

btw- this thread sounds like one of those scam letters

wonderwoman

Dec 21, 2011, 3:55 PM
Post #12 of 17 (12041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The OP has been a member of RC.com for awhile and I see no history of scamming folks. However, I do understand folks' skepticism after the whole John Bachar fundraising incident several years ago.

That being said, I would love an update from the OP as to how the person is healing up. Still sending best wishes.

Bats

Dec 27, 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #13 of 17 (11854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was it the hospital in Mt. Judea?

Bats

Dec 27, 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #14 of 17 (11793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe you and I belive Brad. I have talked to him today. I think what you are doing is noble, but as someone mentioned earlier too many scams. Brad is working things out. I think he will make smart choices on the bill. No worries...I believe in miracles and you should too.
Anyhoo...

dan2see

Dec 28, 2011, 5:50 AM
Post #15 of 17 (11741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Scam or no, compassion or no, "Brad" or no ...

There's no way I would send off some money to some post on some forum. Not even RC.com!

Well maybe if you had presented it with documentation and third-party testimonials, and a picture of Brad's "parietal" region, I'd think about it.

Then, would you reply with an on-line update? and a thank-you card?

jcrew

Dec 28, 2011, 5:30 PM
Post #16 of 17 (11678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
Scam or no,

scam or no, i think it's entirely bad form to go online, essentialy begging for money, for yourself or someone else, because of some hardship, climbing related or not. the climber knew the risk...

blondgecko

Dec 29, 2011, 9:42 AM
Post #17 of 17 (11579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Climber Needs Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
donwanadi wrote:
If you don't know how much the bill is then why are you asking for money?
Yeah, RC.com has had some pretty serious issues with people trying tosucceeding in scamming money through this kinda thing in the past, without details I severely doubt people are just going to dump cash into some random paypal account.

Fixed that for you. Including some of my own, in fact. And in that case the victim was very much real and a very well-known and respected member of the community - yet still we were scammed.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook