Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rangerrob

Dec 27, 2011, 3:35 PM
Post #26 of 35 (1863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [divnamite] Tope Rope C1 / C2 Aid in NY/NJ area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Be EXTREMELY careful about hooking on established free routes. A hook can easily pry flakes and pebbles off of holds. These flakes and pebbles might be the key to the hold. A hook directs the entire weight of your body onto a 1/8" size area of the rock. Unless you want your ass kicked, I would refrain from hooking on other than aid routes. Besides, you don't need to hook on C1 routes, which is the only thing you'll be doing right now.

johnwesely

Dec 27, 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #27 of 35 (1854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] Tope Rope C1 / C2 Aid in NY/NJ area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
Good question.....My girl is very understanding of my dedication to hobby, but multiple hours belaying in the winter might just piss her off. I guess I'll find out. Sly

Do yourself a favor and don't find out.

losbill

Dec 27, 2011, 9:05 PM
Post #28 of 35 (1839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Tope Rope C1 / C2 Aid in NY/NJ area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Regarding ground school (see GO's post) and bounce testing placements (clip placed gear with long sling, place foot in sling and vigorously jump up and down on it):

1) It really accelerated my skill in placing gear.
2) While bounce testing keep your head off to the side as you watch the piece to see how it shifts and/or sets. Pieces will pop out at great velocity and you don't want to be in the "line of fire". (Gabe you may want to include this warning in your future posts on the subject. It took an object lesson, cam off the noggin, for me to wise up!)

Partner cracklover

Dec 28, 2011, 5:55 AM
Post #29 of 35 (1816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Tope Rope C1 / C2 Aid in NY/NJ area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Regarding ground school (see GO's post) and bounce testing placements (clip placed gear with long sling, place foot in sling and vigorously jump up and down on it):

1) It really accelerated my skill in placing gear.
2) While bounce testing keep your head off to the side as you watch the piece to see how it shifts and/or sets. Pieces will pop out at great velocity and you don't want to be in the "line of fire". (Gabe you may want to include this warning in your future posts on the subject. It took an object lesson, cam off the noggin, for me to wise up!)

Good point. Same goes for aid climbing when you get around to it. Wear a helmet and don't look at the piece when you do vigorous bounces. I've had several bounce hard off my helmet as they ping out.

GO

donwanadi

Dec 28, 2011, 2:55 PM
Post #30 of 35 (1800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got some gear from alpenglowgear arriving tomorrow.

Set of BD nuts 4-13
Set of 4 tricams (pink/red/brown/purple)
Metolius Curve Hex Alpine set

Going to hold off on dumping money into cams. I've gotten the impression that most in my area prefer C4s or MasterCams but I'd like to use them before I spend that kind of $.

I'll start with ground school this weekend. I'll be the one with all the anodizing still on his gear.

(This post was edited by donwanadi on Dec 28, 2011, 2:59 PM)

njrox

Dec 28, 2011, 3:12 PM
Post #31 of 35 (1795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:

Going to hold off on dumping money into cams. I've gotten the impression that most in my area prefer C4s or MasterCams but I'd like to use them before I spend that kind of $.

My NY/NJ experience has been more horizontal than vertical cracks. I have the same BD Stopper Set, 4-13, and most of them haven't even touched rock yet. Tricams are a great supplement - and definitely the pink and red ones. But you're going to need cams out here.

rangerrob

Dec 28, 2011, 5:56 PM
Post #32 of 35 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don if you want to aid climb, you will need a set of small nuts. Starting your BD nuts at 4 will cause you to run tino problems with thin seams. BD copper steel micros are good, as are BD #1-3.

donwanadi

Dec 28, 2011, 6:47 PM
Post #33 of 35 (1768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Tope Rope C1 / C2 Aid in NY/NJ area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I likely to encounter body weight only placements on C1 cracks?

Maybe pickup 1-3 + some Leeper cams when I am ready for C2?

(This post was edited by donwanadi on Dec 28, 2011, 6:49 PM)

rangerrob

Dec 30, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #34 of 35 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the Gunks you are likely to encounter body length sections of small gear, including small wires. If you are good a aid, you can avoid a lot of them by creative highstepping. Kind of a catch 22 actually. Small wires, and small aid placements in general aren't always just bodyweight. A #2 stopper placed well in solid rock will hold a good fall. Every piece you weight on a C1 route should be bomber, but your current definition of bomber is going to change. Once you start getting body weight only placements you are either moving into C2 territory, or you need to improve your gear placement skills.

donwanadi

Jan 3, 2012, 4:34 PM
Post #35 of 35 (1679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [njrox] Tope Rope C1 / C2 Aid in NY/NJ area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see what you mean. First day out the only nut placements I could find that I was happy with were in vertical cracks or in horizontal cracks with two nuts opposed.

It was hard to find places that I couldn't put a tricam. They seem to be very multi-directional and confidence inspiring when set actively.

I like the hexes but I can't imagine I'd carry them once I have cams, unless setting up a TR anchor.

(This post was edited by donwanadi on Jan 3, 2012, 4:48 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook