RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

MC22rocks

Feb 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #1 of 24 (16660 views)
Shortcut

indoor wall height
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,
I'm curious to hear what more people think about the gym's wall height.
I'm looking at a location that is near two post secondary schools (30,000 students living around area). This location however would only be able to have 22 ft walls.
Do you think I would lose more business having a location further away from the schools, or by having a smaller wall height.
Lets assume route setting, A/C, staff, programs, bouldering walls will all be kick ass.
I'd obviously rather have taller walls, but the next closest building allowed to have walls taller than that is 15 minutes away in industrial area.

Partner cracklover

Feb 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #2 of 24 (16648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MC22rocks] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bigger is not always better, since it always means tradeoffs. But 22 feet is simply too short, particularly after you lose a foot or so to padding.

And 15 minutes is not that far to go for a decent gym.

Just my $0.02

GO

Traches

Feb 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #3 of 24 (16626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you went with the 22 foot location, you should probably make it exclusively bouldering and you probably shouldn't have top-outs. Is it within walking distance of those schools? I could see you making a killing if that's the case.

That said, cracklover's right... 22 feet is SHORT and 15 minutes is not very far.

rschap

Feb 23, 2012, 5:21 AM
Post #4 of 24 (16585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Traches] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found that most college students only boulder at my gym. We even do a $5 Friday that includes harness and they still boulder only. So a bouldering only gym would probably be fine as long as you were only looking to draw from the college crowd or real climbers. I have also found that most college students are broke and real climbers are not always high in numbers so neither are my best source of income. My best source of income comes from beginners and most of them want to climb on ropes. I agree 22 ft is short, our walls down the center of the building are 28ft but because of the pitch of the roof our shortest roped wall is 18 ½ ft and while it’s short it’s not that bad. Having a topout wall would also be fine; if you top out at 12ft with a foot of padding you’d still have 9ft to the ceiling. You could even go to 14ft topout and be fine and I wouldn’t go much higher anyways.

Personally I wouldn’t do it though. I think the best height for gym walls is between 30 and 35ft. I think as time goes on you’ll regret it and wish you had taller walls. I also don’t think the college will give as much business as you think, just my experience. That being said what does your budget tell you?

guangzhou

Feb 23, 2012, 7:14 AM
Post #5 of 24 (16566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with the above post, less than 30 feet won't be great. Going all bouldering is one option, but like the post above me, the majority of my gym's income is from beginners who want height.

On advantage of bouldering only is you won't need to add a bunch of ropes and harnesses to opening to your opening budget. (Relatively small in the big pictures.

Higher gyms also mean a lot more handhold. 1 meter more doesn't seem like a lot, until you think that it's one meter all around. two or three handhold more per route when you have over 100 routes adds up quickly.

Eman

MC22rocks

Feb 23, 2012, 2:10 PM
Post #6 of 24 (16524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay thanks everyone for the input, I was really iffy about doing the gym there, but my partners thought it could work out. Your input will be used to sway them away from this location.

sycamore

Feb 23, 2012, 4:56 PM
Post #7 of 24 (16492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The places I've been that had unused topropes also had the lowest wall heights. You need to give the customer the incentive to pay more to toprope/lead by providing a sufficiently different experience than bouldering. 22' is really low.

Partner j_ung

Feb 23, 2012, 5:37 PM
Post #8 of 24 (16473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MC22rocks wrote:
Okay thanks everyone for the input, I was really iffy about doing the gym there, but my partners thought it could work out. Your input will be used to sway them away from this location.

Wait a sec. What town are you in? If there's a large climbing community, a bouldering gym certainly can be successful.

guangzhou

Feb 24, 2012, 1:17 AM
Post #9 of 24 (16414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sycamore] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sycamore wrote:
The places I've been that had unused topropes also had the lowest wall heights. You need to give the customer the incentive to pay more to toprope/lead by providing a sufficiently different experience than bouldering. 22' is really low.

You could charge the same for both bouldering and climbing, that could spread the traffic out.

pdx_climber

Feb 24, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #10 of 24 (16363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sycamore] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait, what?

What kind of gym charges separately for bouldering versus roped climbing? Aside from the gear rental fees, of course.

22ft. minus 2-3 ft. at the top for lights & ducts, minus a foot or so for padding at the bottom leaves you with 17 or 18 ft. That's pretty good for a bouldering-only gym, but not nearly enough for roped climbing.

(This post was edited by pdx_climber on Feb 24, 2012, 6:56 PM)

gmggg

Feb 24, 2012, 8:20 PM
Post #11 of 24 (16348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pdx_climber] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

pdx_climber wrote:
Wait, what?

What kind of gym charges separately for bouldering versus roped climbing? Aside from the gear rental fees, of course.

Most of them.

redlude97

Feb 24, 2012, 8:25 PM
Post #12 of 24 (16344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
pdx_climber wrote:
Wait, what?

Most of them.
Really?

gmggg

Feb 24, 2012, 8:26 PM
Post #13 of 24 (16342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
gmggg wrote:
pdx_climber wrote:
Wait, what?

Most of them.
Really?

Yep, in my experience.

You could make some phone calls if you want to check.

pdx_climber

Feb 24, 2012, 8:32 PM
Post #14 of 24 (16338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's news to me.

I have been climbing both competitively and recreationally in gyms on the West coast (and in CO) since the mid-90s and I have never been to a gym that charged separately.

kennoyce

Feb 24, 2012, 8:49 PM
Post #15 of 24 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pdx_climber wrote:
That's news to me.

I have been climbing both competitively and recreationally in gyms on the West coast (and in CO) since the mid-90s and I have never been to a gym that charged separately.

I'll echo that, I've climbed in gyms all over the west coast and never even heard of one that charges seperately.

gmggg

Feb 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #16 of 24 (16311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I've traveled around to a bunch of gyms and seen it in quite a few places. None in CO that come to mind

Perchance "most" was too strong a word as I haven't done any actual research on the subject.

Another interesting pass option I've seen are the "belay" or "belay only" passes. Anyone see a justification for charging belayers for anything other than an initial class/test?

shockabuku

Feb 24, 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #17 of 24 (16299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
Well, I've traveled around to a bunch of gyms and seen it in quite a few places. None in CO that come to mind

Perchance "most" was too strong a word as I haven't done any actual research on the subject.

Another interesting pass option I've seen are the "belay" or "belay only" passes. Anyone see a justification for charging belayers for anything other than an initial class/test?

Money. Money is a pretty popular justification for pretty much everything.

Greggle

Feb 25, 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #18 of 24 (16280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pdx_climber wrote:
Wait, what?

One of the three gyms I go to charges different rates for the two activities. The other two gyms charge the same.

dagibbs

Feb 27, 2012, 2:11 AM
Post #19 of 24 (16165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pdx_climber wrote:
Wait, what?

I don't know about seperately -- but what I've often seen is one price for climbing (including bouldering) and a lower price for bouldering only.

acorneau

Feb 27, 2012, 2:22 AM
Post #20 of 24 (16159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
I don't know about seperately -- but what I've often seen is one price for climbing (including bouldering) and a lower price for bouldering only.

Seems to be the standard practice around here as well.

gmggg

Feb 27, 2012, 4:40 PM
Post #21 of 24 (16102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
pdx_climber wrote:
Wait, what?

Ah, perhaps I misunderstood his question. I interpreted him to be taking exception to the scenario you described. I have never seen anyone charging for roped climbing and not including bouldering.

rschap

Feb 29, 2012, 5:04 AM
Post #22 of 24 (16000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
pdx_climber wrote:
Wait, what?

Ah, perhaps I misunderstood his question. I interpreted him to be taking exception to the scenario you described. I have never seen anyone charging for roped climbing and not including bouldering.

Both the gym I used to work at in California and the gym I own in Colorado do that. The way I look at is, why should the person bouldering only pay for the wear and tear on the ropes plus the extra setting. it takes twice as much work to set a roped route as opposed to a boulder problem. I see it as cutting them a break for using less.

Edit to add:We call them "All Access" and "Boulder only" passes.

(This post was edited by rschap on Feb 29, 2012, 5:06 AM)

gmggg

Feb 29, 2012, 8:16 PM
Post #23 of 24 (15959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] indoor wall height [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
gmggg wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
pdx_climber wrote:
Wait, what?

Both the gym I used to work at in California and the gym I own in Colorado do that. The way I look at is, why should the person bouldering only pay for the wear and tear on the ropes plus the extra setting. it takes twice as much work to set a roped route as opposed to a boulder problem. I see it as cutting them a break for using less.

Edit to add:We call them "All Access" and "Boulder only" passes.

There you go, a gym in CO that does it.

grottoco

Mar 1, 2012, 9:42 PM
Post #24 of 24 (15890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

A few months ago there was an official announcement made about a new gym opening up in London, ON, in partnership with the Guelph Grotto. For those who are interested in an update, we are excited to announce that we have secured a location close to the intersection of Highbury and Oxford! Can't beat that location!
We are in discussion with the property owners and should begin construction on the new facility within the next month or so. We can't wait to tell you more about our exciting plans.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook