RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

SlacklifeNC

Feb 28, 2012, 1:26 PM
Post #1 of 7 (7337 views)
Shortcut

Gibbon Slacklines...Lacking?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So Gibbon lines have been THE trickline for, what? 5 years now? Lately, it seems Gibbon line owners have had alot of problems with their lines, including me. I've talked to people who have had their lines fray during first use and even broken ratchets. I can say from personal experience that my jibline webbing sucks, first I noticed small, very small, frays in my line that began to rip bigger as I tensioned my ratchet each use. I just got a surfline about 3 weeks ago and it is already begining to do the same thing. The Tubeline is going to hit markets soon ( 1" gibbon webbing with double 1'' ratchets) so hopefully gibbon has fixed this problem. Don't get me wrong, I love tricklining on my Jib and Surflines, but I don't want to have to replace my line every 4 months.

My question is, is this normal? I've heard of these things happening from numerous people, what about you? Broken ratchet? Frays? Rips?

(This post was edited by SlacklifeNC on Feb 28, 2012, 1:30 PM)

areyoumydude

Feb 29, 2012, 8:43 PM
Post #2 of 7 (7256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SlacklifeNC] Gibbon Slacklines...Lacking? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SlacklifeNC wrote:
So Gibbon lines have been THE trickline for, what? 5 years now? Lately, it seems Gibbon line owners have had alot of problems with their lines, including me. I've talked to people who have had their lines fray during first use and even broken ratchets. I can say from personal experience that my jibline webbing sucks, first I noticed small, very small, frays in my line that began to rip bigger as I tensioned my ratchet each use. I just got a surfline about 3 weeks ago and it is already begining to do the same thing. The Tubeline is going to hit markets soon ( 1" gibbon webbing with double 1'' ratchets) so hopefully gibbon has fixed this problem. Don't get me wrong, I love tricklining on my Jib and Surflines, but I don't want to have to replace my line every 4 months.

My question is, is this normal? I've heard of these things happening from numerous people, what about you? Broken ratchet? Frays? Rips?

Gibbon slackines are for people that don't know how to rig. I gave mine away. I don't like ratchets at all. The few times I did set it up it worked fine. No frays.

sungam

Mar 1, 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #3 of 7 (7212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of the lines that people in my uni club (including the club lines) have are holding up fine after several years, except for then jibline's tendancy to melt/fuse to itself where it passes through the loop. I mean, light fraying/roughing up but nothing that would make them unusable. The broken ratchets are worrying, though.

overlord

Mar 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #4 of 7 (7202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, there is some fraying in the ratchet area if you set it up at the same length every time. and ditto the fusing, especially on a new line. but mine is still going strong after 3+ years.

slackhappy22

Apr 13, 2012, 11:44 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had the same issue. I think a part of it is definitely the ratchet but also the webbing isn't the best (prob mass produced in China somewhere). I met a few guys who had some A-frames setup on the beach in Venice, CA last weekend and they are selling similar lines to the jib and surfline except their webbing is made in the states. They claim it holds up a lot better as their manufacturer does military grade work. The line was also really bouncy and grippy which I kind of like for tricklining. I'm considering buying one. Anyone else heard of these guys? www.perfecttension.com

sungam

Apr 14, 2012, 9:15 AM
Post #6 of 7 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slackhappy22] Gibbon Slacklines...Lacking? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as your post seems like advertising spam, I have heard really good things about perfect tension. Mostly about how bouncy their trickline is.

slackhappy22

Apr 14, 2012, 5:10 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Gibbon Slacklines...Lacking? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha yeah I guess I'm just bias since these guys are local and I want to see them succeed! But I do enjoy their lines. I'm also curious to see about balance community's rageline when that comes out. I like 2-inch better though.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook