Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Linsanity

Mar 23, 2012, 9:29 AM
Post #1 of 34 (7805 views)
Shortcut

I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, Im from the San Francisco, CA area. Right now i love to climb stairs. There are many secret public stairways in my area that lead up to incredible views. I also love to hike and see scenic spots. Love to lift weights. About a month ago I watched Rocky 4 again and saw that he climbed a mountain. Now i know that is different than rock climbing. But anyways, that has kind of inspired me to look into all of this. I already love climbing stairs and love to go to spots and I am really looking to get into rock climbing. I have some general questions and I am very new, but i have been constantly searching google and seem to be a bit confused.

1. Is mountain climbing much different than rock climbing? Or is there some rock climbing involved/mixed in? Also, why can't i find any books on the subject of mountain climbing? would love to learn both.

2. This may sound stupid, but When you climb are you climbing rocks on mountains mainly, or just large rocks? Do most rock climbing views get you to nice spots at the top? I have been doing a search in my area and a lot of these places just look like rocks that are in some random places. I have no idea why people enjoy climbing indoors.

sbaclimber

Mar 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #2 of 34 (7772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Linsanity] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
1. Is mountain climbing much different than rock climbing? Or is there some rock climbing involved/mixed in? Also, why can't i find any books on the subject of mountain climbing?
Try searching for "mountaineering". e.g. http://www.amazon.com/...words=mountaineering

Linsanity wrote:
2. This may sound stupid, but When you climb are you climbing rocks on mountains mainly, or just large rocks? Do most rock climbing views get you to nice spots at the top? I have been doing a search in my area and a lot of these places just look like rocks that are in some random places.
That's because that is what they are.
Climbing a rock may lead you to the top of a mountain, but not necessarily.
It sounds like you are more interested in hiking than rock climbing.
If you are interested in steeper stuff, you might be interested in "scrambling": http://www.amazon.co.uk/...-keywords=scrambling

sp115

Mar 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #3 of 34 (7769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Linsanity] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
Hi, Im from the San Francisco, CA area. Right now i love to climb stairs. There are many secret public stairways in my area that lead up to incredible views. I also love to hike and see scenic spots. Love to lift weights. About a month ago I watched Rocky 4 again and saw that he climbed a mountain. Now i know that is different than rock climbing. But anyways, that has kind of inspired me to look into all of this. I already love climbing stairs and love to go to spots and I am really looking to get into rock climbing. I have some general questions and I am very new, but i have been constantly searching google and seem to be a bit confused.

1. Is mountain climbing much different than rock climbing? Or is there some rock climbing involved/mixed in? Also, why can't i find any books on the subject of mountain climbing? would love to learn both.

2. This may sound stupid, but When you climb are you climbing rocks on mountains mainly, or just large rocks? Do most rock climbing views get you to nice spots at the top? I have been doing a search in my area and a lot of these places just look like rocks that are in some random places. I have no idea why people enjoy climbing indoors.

Welcome Linsanity, I'm not really suited to answer your questions, but I'm certain they will be shortly. You might want to buckle-up.

Edit to add, we're also going to need a profile pic. Doesn't need to be outdoorsy, but you should dress age-appropriate and smile.

(This post was edited by sp115 on Mar 23, 2012, 11:39 AM)

Linsanity

Mar 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #4 of 34 (7752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Linsanity wrote:
Try searching for "mountaineering". e.g. http://www.amazon.com/...words=mountaineering

Linsanity wrote:
That's because that is what they are.
Climbing a rock may lead you to the top of a mountain, but not necessarily.
It sounds like you are more interested in hiking than rock climbing.
If you are interested in steeper stuff, you might be interested in "scrambling": http://www.amazon.co.uk/...-keywords=scrambling

Oh thanks for the info. Yea i just looked into that and just heard of the terms mountaineering and scrambling. However, I am also interested in rock bouldering as well. I like hiking, would like to look into scrambling, but am going to find variety. I like the look of rock climbing because it looks like a good way to condition your upper body, and i want a challenge. Thanks for the info. I was confused LOL.

(This post was edited by Linsanity on Mar 23, 2012, 11:53 AM)

Linsanity

Mar 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #5 of 34 (7748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On a 2nd note, couldn't find much info on scrambling in my area. I do see books on scrambling, but what's the best way to find out the routes in your area?

sbaclimber

Mar 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #6 of 34 (7737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
On a 2nd note, couldn't find much info on scrambling in my area. I do see books on scrambling, but what's the best way to find out the routes in your area?
That's a bit tricky outside of the UK. I think that's about the only place where scrambling is considered its own sport.
Anywhere else, you will probably just have to look for easy rock climbs / hard hikes. (e.g. in the US, look for 4th class climbs)

Partner j_ung

Mar 23, 2012, 6:26 PM
Post #7 of 34 (7599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
Also, why can't i find any books on the subject of mountain climbing?

Because you didn't Google "mountain climbing books"?

gosharks

Mar 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #8 of 34 (7513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
You want to go to http://summitpost.org, not rockclimbing.com

sungam

Mar 24, 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #9 of 34 (7389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My advice: Most of my friends who like scrambling and made a lot of effort to find goo scrambling routes eventually realized that they liked rock climbing more. It's the same thing just more so.

So just skip out the "scrambling only" phase and jump straight into climbing. You'll end up doing plenty of 4th class climbing (sometimes to get to a route, sometimes as a route in itself) during climbing trips etc, but you'll also get to do more involved routes.

Linsanity

Mar 24, 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #10 of 34 (7375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

can i ask why they like rock climbing better than scrambling? Would love to know. I was thinking of doing both. It seems that with scrambling, you will get to go more distance/see more views. I could be wrong.

areyoumydude

Mar 24, 2012, 6:39 PM
Post #11 of 34 (7308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd stick to basketball if I were you. Just stop turning the ball over so much.

Linsanity

Mar 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #12 of 34 (7268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats funny, but come on i wanna climb

bigredscowboy

Mar 25, 2012, 3:00 AM
Post #13 of 34 (7242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

please tell me this is a troll...

edit: all this talk about bouldering as 'rock scrambling' is just too funny not to be

(This post was edited by bigredscowboy on Mar 25, 2012, 3:01 AM)

shotwell

Mar 25, 2012, 3:15 AM
Post #14 of 34 (7231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigredscowboy] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigredscowboy wrote:

edit: all this talk about bouldering as 'rock scrambling' is just too funny not to be

Um....they aren't talking about bouldering. Seriously.

bigredscowboy

Mar 25, 2012, 3:40 AM
Post #15 of 34 (7222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, I see now, only skimmed it the first go around

Linsanity

Mar 25, 2012, 3:48 AM
Post #16 of 34 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigredscowboy] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigredscowboy wrote:

I had a feeling i would get labeled troll. No. the thing is i am fairly new to this subject, but i find all these outdoor activities and workouts very fascinating. I want to learn a lot in the future. Yes, i like to watch basketball, but that doesn't mean I can't learn to rock climb, scramble, and do mountaineering. Right now Im mainly doing stairways and starting to find hikes, but i want to do a variety of things like rock climbing as well. Im not trolling. No reason to.

knubs

Mar 25, 2012, 7:24 AM
Post #17 of 34 (7187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/ <---- type away into the search engine and see what you like. bouldering, climbing, etc...

sungam

Mar 25, 2012, 1:33 PM
Post #18 of 34 (7146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
can i ask why they like rock climbing better than scrambling? Would love to know. I was thinking of doing both. It seems that with scrambling, you will get to go more distance/see more views. I could be wrong.
There are easy (and hard, for that matter) rock routes that are just as long as any scrambling routes. The reason they progress is they want to do something a little more challenging.

Scrambling is really just very easy climbing.

Linsanity

Mar 25, 2012, 2:29 PM
Post #19 of 34 (7118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Typically, when someone goes up a rock, do they come back down and repeat? How high is the typical climb? Im thinking scrambling would be a higher climb, but i could be wrong

marc801

Mar 25, 2012, 2:52 PM
Post #20 of 34 (7111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
Typically, when someone goes up a rock, do they come back down and repeat? How high is the typical climb? Im thinking scrambling would be a higher climb, but i could be wrong

There is no such thing as a "typical" climb or a typical height - it varies considerably, from 10' or less for bouldering to thousands of feet for big walls and everything in between.

Please dear god read the FAQs and beginning climber's guide on this site before asking these most basic questions. It will save us all a lot of time.

Marylandclimber

Mar 25, 2012, 5:07 PM
Post #21 of 34 (7086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YouTube has tons of videos on it by the way just be safe...

dindolino32

Mar 25, 2012, 5:45 PM
Post #22 of 34 (7067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would buy a harness, rope and some quickdraws. Then just stick to stairs for a while but practice leading up them with the rope attached to you. Clip into the railing every 5-10 feet or "run it out" if you feel comfortable. When you run out of rope, have the person at the bottom come up. You will get the hang of it quickly. Just practice practice practice!

Colinhoglund

Mar 26, 2012, 5:44 AM
Post #23 of 34 (6967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing has many "flavours". Call it a choose your own adventure, bouldering to alpine big wall; road side crags and alpine vistas. For most people you get into climbing 2 ways. Progressing from hiking, to difficult hikes, to scrambles to learning rock movement skills to push things ever further. Or you begin climbing indoors or out for the sake of liking enjoying movement on stone.

If you like vistas and hiking to scenic spots, scrambling is probably the thing for you. If you start finding the hiking part of scrambling an annoying delay before the climbing part begins. Then "rock climbing" is logical progression.

Take it slow, there is a lot to be learned, especially if your going more than crawling distance from the road. Climbing is a craft, learn it well and have some great experiences.

tomthedancinghobo

Mar 26, 2012, 5:55 AM
Post #24 of 34 (6962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

(In it for the view) + (looking for workout) = future 5.7 trad monster!

You won't find shit on here but boasting, in its many forms.

The views happen to be about 1/3 of what I like about climbing. And they are great. Even the middle of nowhere looks pretty damn cool with a hundred or so feet of air under you and adreniline in your veins.

The best way to understand it is to try it, seriously. Go to a climbing club or a gym or whatever. Learn to belay, then - and this is the important part - find someone quiet to take you up a couple of easy routes somewhere nearby. An even more audacious approach would be to just show up at one of those 'middle of nowhere climbing rocks' and ask to follow somebody on a route. But whoever you go with, make sure its someone quiet. Nothing like having some spray-king blabbing in your ear about the differences between a yosemite finish and double bowline and how they just got promoted to 'prince' in the Mountaineers.

And before you decide if you like it, it is really important to go climbing outside at least once. Deciding you don;t like climbing after going to the gym is like deciding you dont like sex after beating off to pictures of Elvis' corpse.

(This post was edited by tomthedancinghobo on Mar 26, 2012, 5:58 AM)

Linsanity

Mar 26, 2012, 6:01 AM
Post #25 of 34 (6952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomthedancinghobo] I am looking into this sport. Would appreciate if you can answer some questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tomthedancinghobo wrote:
(In it for the view) + (looking for workout) = future 5.7 trad monster!

You won't find shit on here but boasting, in its many forms.

The views happen to be about 1/3 of what I like about climbing. And they are great. Even the middle of nowhere looks pretty damn cool with a hundred or so feet of air under you and adreniline in your veins.

The best way to understand it is to try it, seriously. Go to a climbing club or a gym or whatever. Learn to belay, then - and this is the important part - find someone quiet to take you up a couple of easy routes somewhere nearby. An even more audacious approach would be to just show up at one of those 'middle of nowhere climbing rocks' and ask to follow somebody on a route. But whoever you go with, make sure its someone quiet. Nothing like having some spray-king blabbing in your ear about the differences between a yosemite finish and double bowline and how they just got promoted to 'prince' in the Mountaineers.

Scrambling looks cool too, it seems more free. I think that is what Rocky did in Rocky 4 when he climbed up the mountain in Russia. Seemed like he scrambled it. Rock climbing does look fascinating. I don't want to be the type to just do one thing. I like to visit pretty stairways in san francisco, hike, take scenic walks, and i believe my next step is to scramble and then climb. I also saw something on YT called Tough Mudder. I don't know what you call that, but that also looks like something that could be fun. There is lots to explore. The avatar i have is the coit tower in san francisco. Now, it's not the tower i like. It's the 400 or so steps that go from the bottom of the street, that lead up to the street of the tower once you make it to the top. So that is called stairway climbing, not as common since most cities don't have massive stairways. But that is how I started to explore all this outdoor stuff and i think my next step is to scramble and then climb. I want to do lots of things, not just one thing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook