Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

chadnsc

Mar 26, 2012, 7:42 PM
Post #51 of 71 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
Who cares just climb...

Well that was a rather insightful look into your personality.

The view wasn't very scenic. Unsure

Marylandclimber

Mar 26, 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #52 of 71 (3617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Its just who cares what gender or race or overweight. Everyone has there own style of climbing. Women are great climbers and so as men. The only difference might be the style in which they climb but that's not a big deal.

chadnsc

Mar 27, 2012, 1:40 AM
Post #53 of 71 (3586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
Its just who cares what gender or race or overweight. Everyone has there own style of climbing. Women are great climbers and so as men. The only difference might be the style in which they climb but that's not a big deal.

You're right, little things like style, technique, center of gravity, height, reach, hip flexibility, hand size, weight, and muscle mass are exactly the same in men and women.

I mean except that whole style thing which you pointed out those other things don't effect your climbing at all. Angelic

Marylandclimber

Mar 27, 2012, 1:42 AM
Post #54 of 71 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your thinking too much... Were all good just climb...

chadnsc

Mar 27, 2012, 2:02 AM
Post #55 of 71 (3573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
Your thinking too much... Were all good just climb...

... and you're failing to see the obvious.

Look, I never disputed your second comment but . . .
Grades are subjective
People are different

There is nothing wrong with being different.

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 27, 2012, 4:00 AM
Post #56 of 71 (3554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Do you realize that by adding the second half of your post you completely undercut the otherwise excellent first half? It's like you wanted to demonstrate that you actually don't have a clue as to why there is a Ladies Room, even though you (clearly) do.

???

GO

No, I don't see how that is the case, and would be interested in your perspective.

I was actually just taking a stab at humor, and imagining guys running with the scissors that would be the novelty of having a men's room forum. I do not actually think a men's room forum is needed or would have much in the way of seriousness if one were, for some reason, implemented.

Partner cracklover

Mar 27, 2012, 3:05 PM
Post #57 of 71 (3517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Do you realize that by adding the second half of your post you completely undercut the otherwise excellent first half? It's like you wanted to demonstrate that you actually don't have a clue as to why there is a Ladies Room, even though you (clearly) do.

???

GO

No, I don't see how that is the case, and would be interested in your perspective.

I was actually just taking a stab at humor, and imagining guys running with the scissors that would be the novelty of having a men's room forum. I do not actually think a men's room forum is needed or would have much in the way of seriousness if one were, for some reason, implemented.

- Because no-one wants one
- Because if one existed, it would be nothing like what you imagine/describe
- Because the men of the forum do not have the needs that such a forum fills
- Because your (seemingly serious) suggestion makes it seem as though your are oblivious to the three points above.
- Because if you can't tell the difference, you don't really understand why the women's forum would be helpful to some women here.

Oh, and sorry, your humor didn't really come across.

GO

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 27, 2012, 3:25 PM
Post #58 of 71 (3510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

- Because your (seemingly serious) suggestion makes it seem as though your are oblivious to the three points above.
- Because if you can't tell the difference, you don't really understand why the women's forum would be helpful to some women here.

GO

Jeez - apparently not! You've got no emoticons going on there, GO, but it seems you are a little wound up on this one....

You may not have noticed, but I'm been known to give the smackdown to people(men and women alike) who minimize/intimidate and otherwise attack women on this forum for voicing concerns which would be "ladies room-appropriate"). I am not the enemy here, when it comes to female empowerment.

Partner cracklover

Mar 27, 2012, 4:12 PM
Post #59 of 71 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

Jeez - apparently not! You've got no emoticons going on there, GO, but it seems you are a little wound up on this one....

You may not have noticed, but I'm been known to give the smackdown to people(men and women alike) who minimize/intimidate and otherwise attack women on this forum for voicing concerns which would be "ladies room-appropriate"). I am not the enemy here, when it comes to female empowerment.

Huh? I'm not wound up. You seemed honestly puzzled, and asked me to explain, so I did.

I never said you were the enemy. As I said, you clearly know why the forum is here. I was simply pointing out that you totally undercut your own argument.

Cheers,

GO

shockabuku

Mar 27, 2012, 5:26 PM
Post #60 of 71 (3475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

Huh? I'm not wound up. You seemed honestly puzzled, and asked me to explain, so I did.

I never said you were the enemy. As I said, you clearly know why the forum is here. I was simply pointing out that you totally undercut your own argument.

Cheers,

GO

Your tone comes across like you are.

The big indicators I was picking up on that lead me to believe the same thing are:

The repetitive use of because comes off as condescending.

The use of "you don't really understand" is a pretty harsh judgement, based on a couple of sentences, of someone's ability to conceptualize an issue.

Partner cracklover

Mar 27, 2012, 7:58 PM
Post #61 of 71 (3435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

Cheers,

GO

Your tone comes across like you are.

The big indicators I was picking up on that lead me to believe the same thing are:

The repetitive use of because comes off as condescending.

The use of "you don't really understand" is a pretty harsh judgement, based on a couple of sentences, of someone's ability to conceptualize an issue.

Hahaha! Touche!

Anyway, sorry it came across that way. Was just trying to be matter-of-fact about it.

Oh and I hate to belabor the point, but for whatever it's worth - "you don't really understand..." was not a judgement of HG. It was saying that: "if the writer couldn't see the above, then she would not understand..."

Of course HG does see the above, but was writing as if she didn't. Which was odd - but I get that it was supposed to be humorous.

Cheers,

GLaugh

ceebo

Mar 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #62 of 71 (3410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Marylandclimber wrote:

You're right, little things like style, technique, center of gravity, height, reach, hip flexibility, hand size, weight, and muscle mass are exactly the same in men and women.

I mean except that whole style thing which you pointed out those other things don't effect your climbing at all. Angelic

Most of the points you make are not the same from person to person so god only knows how you go about defining them from man to woman. I repeat, most of them.

http://mandingueira.com/...upper-body-strength/

Granite girl,If at all valid then this link is interesting for you. Says to me that women do not need to train differantly to men at all.

granite_grrl

Mar 28, 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #63 of 71 (3389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Marylandclimber wrote:

Most of the points you make are not the same from person to person so god only knows how you go about defining them from man to woman. I repeat, most of them.

Granite girl,If at all valid then this link is interesting for you. Says to me that women do not need to train differantly to men at all.

Who ever said the same basic principles of building muscle mass works different for men than it does for women? In my experience though most women (myself included) don't start off at the same strength to weight ratio as men do. You then see women struggling on steep and burly routes and problems that the guy who just started climbing with her is monkey barring up.

Now this is totally a stereo type, but I think we can all relate to the young guy new to climbing muscling his way up routes at the gym. The other stereo type is the woman who takes well to the delicate vertical faces.

The problem is that strength begets strength and you get these ladies who have been climbing for a couple of years complaining how hard overhanging faces are (myself included back then). Meanwhile the guy hasn't really gained much technique from his monkey barring (though instead of complaining how hard slabby walls are he normally just wallows in the world of 5.10 at this point).

Everyone should work on their weaknesses and man and women tend to develop different weaknesses when they start climbing (it's WAY more fun to cater to your strengths). So yes, I think these two stereotypes need to train differently.

ceebo

Mar 28, 2012, 2:16 AM
Post #64 of 71 (3366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
ceebo wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Marylandclimber wrote:

Who ever said the same basic principles of building muscle mass works different for men than it does for women? In my experience though most women (myself included) don't start off at the same strength to weight ratio as men do. You then see women struggling on steep and burly routes and problems that the guy who just started climbing with her is monkey barring up.

Now this is totally a stereo type, but I think we can all relate to the young guy new to climbing muscling his way up routes at the gym. The other stereo type is the woman who takes well to the delicate vertical faces.

The problem is that strength begets strength and you get these ladies who have been climbing for a couple of years complaining how hard overhanging faces are (myself included back then). Meanwhile the guy hasn't really gained much technique from his monkey barring (though instead of complaining how hard slabby walls are he normally just wallows in the world of 5.10 at this point).

Everyone should work on their weaknesses and man and women tend to develop different weaknesses when they start climbing (it's WAY more fun to cater to your strengths). So yes, I think these two stereotypes need to train differently.

The link was in effort to be helpful not to argue against something you think you said.

The rest of your post is just rediculess. In context of climbers who have climbed for a few month perhaps you are more right than wrong.. but the exceptions even in those are thousands of people. One thing that is most true is women on over hangs, or more so the lack of.

The worst part here is that you assume women get some god given vert and slab technique.

Slab, vert, overhang, being the common angles in climbing do not fully pass over to each other. No 8a on sight level vert or slab climber will ever jump on a 8a overhang and complete it. I garuntee it. On the other hand.. a 8a on sight over hang climber will stand a very good chance at doing the compareble slab/vert.

Its simple why. Slab climbing has the smallest learning curve, its emphisis is more on technique than strength. You can do it over and over with ought muscles packing in, its not hard to learn. Over hangs though, the inherent physical strain that come with them make angle spacific technique consolidation much harder. You get less time to practice due to physical fatigue dictating the pace.

What you are trying to say is that men need to start climbing more slab and so so?.. wrong. Both men and women need to climb a mix of all.. but with the majority of time going to over hang, some to vert.. a little to slab. That is ofc, in the mindset of a climber wishing to be good at all.

I left roof climbing and other styles out for simplicity.

granite_grrl

Mar 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
Post #65 of 71 (3348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
ceebo wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Marylandclimber wrote:

The link was in effort to be helpful not to argue against something you think you said.

The rest of your post is just rediculess. In context of climbers who have climbed for a few month perhaps you are more right than wrong.. but the exceptions even in those are thousands of people. One thing that is most true is women on over hangs, or more so the lack of.

The worst part here is that you assume women get some god given vert and slab technique.

Slab, vert, overhang, being the common angles in climbing do not fully pass over to each other. No 8a on sight level vert or slab climber will ever jump on a 8a overhang and complete it. I garuntee it. On the other hand.. a 8a on sight over hang climber will stand a very good chance at doing the compareble slab/vert.

Its simple why. Slab climbing has the smallest learning curve, its emphisis is more on technique than strength. You can do it over and over with ought muscles packing in, its not hard to learn. Over hangs though, the inherent physical strain that come with them make angle spacific technique consolidation much harder. You get less time to practice due to physical fatigue dictating the pace.

What you are trying to say is that men need to start climbing more slab and so so?.. wrong. Both men and women need to climb a mix of all.. but with the majority of time going to over hang, some to vert.. a little to slab. That is ofc, in the mindset of a climber wishing to be good at all.

I left roof climbing and other styles out for simplicity.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. That slab and verticle climbing is easy? I think that all depends on your strengths and weaknesses.

chadnsc

Mar 28, 2012, 1:39 PM
Post #66 of 71 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

Here I thought you got a time out. Guess you just ran away and hid for a couple days.

shockabuku

Mar 28, 2012, 1:47 PM
Post #67 of 71 (3318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all good. I'm trying to develop a better understanding of unintended tones in my own writing so that I don't piss people off at work!

ceebo

Mar 28, 2012, 4:17 PM
Post #68 of 71 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Women and Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. That slab and verticle climbing is easy? I think that all depends on your strengths and weaknesses.

No.. slab and vert is not ''easy'' but in comparison to over hang, they are far easier to get more miledge on, for physical reasons i already pointed out. More miledge >> better chance to learn in that style. Slab skill deminishes FAST, i already said why in other post.

You are under some silly illusion that climbers who are strong on over hangs (that you associate with half shaven ape men who have no grasp of technique) can not also be just as good and have the required technique attributes associated with slab climbing under their belt.

My slab climbing ability has always matched w/e my max grade was on other styles yet i rarely climb slab in comparison. The learning curve technique wise in climbing slab was not small, but due to the lack of physical aspects involved (that i again pointed out) it makes for endless miledge to ge that shit done and move on.

Once you have a good idea how to climb slab and even vert you then just venture into route spacific moves. The underlining factor from their on out IMO is physical condition to allow more time to refine and attempt those spacific moves. Overhang climbing comes with the pro of giving you the physical condition to eliminate as a weakness in the other styles.

Has it registered?.

chadnsc

Mar 28, 2012, 4:36 PM
Post #69 of 71 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

No.. slab and vert is not ''easy'' but in comparison to over hang, they are far easier to get more miledge on, for physical reasons i already pointed out. More miledge >> better chance to learn in that style. Slab skill deminishes FAST, i already said why in other post.

Spray deleted.

Has it registered?.

Ceebo you really should run away and hide again.

ceebo

Mar 28, 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #70 of 71 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
ceebo wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Spray deleted.

Has it registered?.

Ceebo you really should run away and hide again.

You try so hard, go ahead and count this as a bite. It's kinde funy that the steroe type granite described probably applys to you. In that light im not suprised at what you would consider spray.

Kill file me?.. instead of coming across like you crave my attention.

chadnsc

Mar 28, 2012, 9:00 PM
Post #71 of 71 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Craving your attention, meh.

Wanting you to go away, yeah.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook