Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

granite_grrl

Mar 29, 2012, 6:28 PM
Post #26 of 55 (3958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
well then call me and many guides ive seen around here stupid ... and many of the experienced climbers, or those that climb alot ... many of us dont use tarps on the ground here

and our gear wears just fine, as my partners old solid gates can attest to ...

if its sooo dirty or muddy just use an ikea bag ... its not like a $$$$ rope bag is any better ...

another RC special .. MUST buy a $$$$ rope bag Tongue

You know, there are a lot of things I use in climbing that I don't really need. I could be using forged friends and a swami belt, but I like nice stuff that makes my life more comfortable.

No matter how you cut it a commercially made rope bag will be nicer than your Ikea bag. If you're a real cheapo I could see the appeal, but to me the cost of a rope bag isn't that much and worth the convienience.

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 6:36 PM
Post #27 of 55 (3954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

nicer? ... not if yr trying to carry it any good distance ... youll just look like yr pregnant with the rope bag in the front and the pack at the back ... rather than just carrying the rope on yr pack/back as its meant to be on approaches and folding the idea bag in yr pack ... functionally an ikea bag will do everything you need without the fancy $$$$ logo

funny how the folks on MP seem to be fine with ikea bags ... but all the hardcore RCers who insist $$$$ bags are the only way to go ... damn gumby MPer Tongue

http://www.mountainproject.com/...n-rope-bag/107512959
as to forged friends or swarmi belts ... im not quite sure how that relates to using an ikea bag, or no bag at all ... plenty of people who do multi dont use rope bags ... if their ropes get dirty they just wash it every now and then ... they arent using swarmi belts ... and plenty of people who crag often dont use em either

maybe were all stupid geriatric dinos according to RCers

how often do you climb outside Wink

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Mar 29, 2012, 6:38 PM)

granite_grrl

Mar 29, 2012, 6:37 PM
Post #28 of 55 (3952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
now im not saying you shouldnt use a bag at all ... im sure certain places have more abrasive dirt ... what im AM saying is that you dont need one up here ... and you dont need a $$$$ one ... just go to ikea

So in the narrow climbing world of bearbreeder climbing only at his local crags you will never need a tarp?

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #29 of 55 (3943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive never used on in BC and alberta ...

maybe you can tell us how often you climb and where ...

i ciimb 5-6 days a week weather permitting in squamish, penticton and the canadian rockies when its in season ... and most good off season days ... Wink

and i stupidly, according to RCers, almost never use a rope bag ... of course plenty of "crags" out here you both crag and do multi at the same place, and climb yr way out

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Mar 29, 2012, 6:43 PM)

redlude97

Mar 29, 2012, 6:46 PM
Post #30 of 55 (3937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
nicer? ... not if yr trying to carry it any good distance ... youll just look like yr pregnant with the rope bag in the front and the pack at the back ... rather than just carrying the rope on yr pack/back as its meant to be on approaches and folding the idea bag in yr pack ... functionally an ikea bag will do everything you need without the fancy $$$$ logo
Do you climb by yourself? One person carries the rack one person carries the rope. The person with the rope either stuffs it in their pack, or carries the rop bag with the shoulder sling. When sport climbing you need even less gear, just about everything can go in the rope bag and the other person carries the water/food

granite_grrl

Mar 29, 2012, 6:53 PM
Post #31 of 55 (3930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
rather than just carrying the rope on yr pack/back as its meant to be on approaches

I find carrying a rope IN my pack is the best way to distribute the load well. This is easy to do when I wrap my rope up in a neat little package with my rope bag. It is also already flaked out when I take it back out again.

Like I said, it's a worth while convinence for me. It's not a problem that you use an ikea bag (except I feel it looks a little noobish at the crag) but I don't understand your insistance that it's just as good as a proper rope bag.

In reply to:
how often do you climb outside Wink

Seriously? You're trying to play that card? Do you have inadequacy issues?

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 6:53 PM
Post #32 of 55 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
Do you climb by yourself? One person carries the rack one person carries the rope. The person with the rope either stuffs it in their pack, or carries the rop bag with the shoulder sling. When sport climbing you need even less gear, just about everything can go in the rope bag and the other person carries the water/food

so let me get this straight .... youre going to carry the rope bag which weights a decent amount ... and the pack ... or carry the rope bag on yr shoulder for long approaches???

an ikea bag is light and very foldable ... hmmmm

so rope bags are for this thing called sport climbing Wink

heres a "cragging" climb out here ... you rap down and climb out ... i prefer not to climb out with a rope bag personally ... but look how stupid i am with all those dirty ledges and no bag !!!!

photo from this month, partner from ontario who i took out to show around, seemed more interested in climbing than telling me the million ways im going to be stupid, wear out my gear, or die without a $$$$ rope bag ... maybe he aint a RCer Tongue

csproul

Mar 29, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #33 of 55 (3925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
thats odd ... i climb 5-6 days a week for the last 2 seasons whether permitting ... rarely use a tarp, when i do its an ikea bag ... and my biners and belay devices are just fine

want to bundle up a rope in an ikea bag? ... simply pull the one handle through the other and roll it, then strap to the pack ...

most the guides up here may use a rope bag to carry their ropes, but rarely use the tarp, the rope is often on the ground and in the dirt ...

how many people here who insist on the $$$$$ rope bags actually do longer multis every other day ... when yr doing 6+ pitches at with a lot of ledgy belays at least a few times a week, youll understand the futility of a $$$$ rope bag up here ...

this is a typical belay out here ... id love to see people carry a rope bag up 12+ pitches ... Wink

[image]http://i40.tinypic.com/sdlagh.jpg[/image]
Not many people carry rope bags/tarps up multi-pitch climbs, but many many climbers find them valuable for cragging. It also matters where you climb. Try climbing somewhere muddy or someplace that has a lot of fine sand. It quickly gets on your rope and grinds away on you gear. Granite areas like Squamish or Yosemite...not so much.

(This post was edited by csproul on Mar 29, 2012, 7:07 PM)

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #34 of 55 (3923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

Seriously? You're trying to play that card? Do you have inadequacy issues?

no i have a how often do you use yr gear issues ... since theres people claiming here that yr gear will die horrible deaths from wear if you dont use a bag ...

im not the most prolific climber by far ... but i use my gear often, and the people i know do as well ... like climbing every day often in season ... and we dont have issues with our gear dying from rope wear

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 6:57 PM
Post #35 of 55 (3920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Not many people carry rope bags/tarps up multi-pitch climbs, but many many climbers find them valuable for cragging. It also matters where you climb. Try climbing somewhere muddy or someplace that has a lot of fine sand. It quickly gets on your rope and grinds away on you gear. Granite areas lie Squamish or Yosemite...not so much.

thank you ... that i do understand ...

my point is simply that up here i dont use or need one generally ...

and when i do, an ikea bag works just as well as an fancy $$$$ rope bag

csproul

Mar 29, 2012, 7:06 PM
Post #36 of 55 (3902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never seen or used an Ikea bag, so i can't comment on its usefulness. I do, however, really like having a bag with a tarp. Here in the SE it can stay muddy and it gives me a place to keep the rope out of the mud , as well as my shoes and gear. I also prefer to carry the rope in my pack on the approach, so it is easy to wrap the whole thing up in the tarp/bag and stuff it in the bottom of a pack. Given how much I've spent on ropes, I don't really see the rope bag as a significant investment, especially given that I've had the same 2 bags for ~5-10 years.

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 7:10 PM
Post #37 of 55 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well squamish is muddy ... so they tell me ... typical PNW weather ...

each to his/her own ....

just like anything else in climbing there are many ways to skin a cat ... i personally prefer to spend my money on a cam or a set of nuts ... but so long as people dont try to tell me that ikea bags dont work or that my gear will just die from not using a rope bag here ... its up to them

cause for some reason my partners and i are stupidly arent dead ... yet Wink

chadnsc

Mar 29, 2012, 7:17 PM
Post #38 of 55 (3883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
csproul wrote:
Not many people carry rope bags/tarps up multi-pitch climbs, but many many climbers find them valuable for cragging. It also matters where you climb. Try climbing somewhere muddy or someplace that has a lot of fine sand. It quickly gets on your rope and grinds away on you gear. Granite areas lie Squamish or Yosemite...not so much.

thank you ... that i do understand ...

Then why didn't you show that understanding in your first two pages of posts?

bearbreeder wrote:
my point is simply that up here i dont use or need one generally ...

and when i do, an ikea bag works just as well as an fancy $$$$ rope bag

Actually untill your last post you’ve been saying that an ikea bag works great for a rope bag and there is no reason to use otherwise. Rather narrow minded and short sighted to be making such generalizations.

Not to mention it’s rather odd that you got all butthurt over a .69 cent ikea bag. Crazy

olderic

Mar 29, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #39 of 55 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
It's not a problem that you use an ikea bag (except I feel it looks a little noobish at the crag) but I don't understand your insistance that it's just as good as a proper rope bag.

Actually I have found that the ones who insist on dragging their $$$ ropebags every place - even when there are cheaper and BETTER solutions a lot of the time (not always) are the nOObs. Although the bag is usually a more subtle hint then the gym passes on their harness, their perfectly matched set of draws (they do like nice things after all and it's key to know that every one will be the same when you go for it) and the bandana on their dog "(Sierra") that color coordinates with their Prana outfit. Nice things are vital.

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 7:29 PM
Post #40 of 55 (3868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

because there is no NEED for anything else ... Tongue

chadnsc

Mar 29, 2012, 7:44 PM
Post #41 of 55 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
because there is no NEED for anything else ... Tongue

You Winkalso don't NEED that rope. Just don't fall. [/;)]

Partner cracklover

Mar 29, 2012, 7:47 PM
Post #42 of 55 (3854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
It's not a problem that you use an ikea bag (except I feel it looks a little noobish at the crag) but I don't understand your insistance that it's just as good as a proper rope bag.

Actually I have found that the ones who insist on dragging their $$$ ropebags every place - even when there are cheaper and BETTER solutions a lot of the time (not always) are the nOObs. Although the bag is usually a more subtle hint then the gym passes on their harness, their perfectly matched set of draws (they do like nice things after all and it's key to know that every one will be the same when you go for it) and the bandana on their dog "(Sierra") that color coordinates with their Prana outfit. Nice things are vital.

Funny post, but I'm curious - what do you mean by the italicized above?

I don't always bring my ropebag with me. For example on long climbs, it would be silly. But, as an owner of a ropebag that is quite useful when I go cragging, I cannot think of any examples where using something else in its place would be "cheaper" or "better"? What are these places, and these solutions, of which you speak?

GO

granite_grrl

Mar 29, 2012, 7:54 PM
Post #43 of 55 (3845 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

You are correct about there being quite a few different systems that work well for different areas.

If I'm not returning to the base of the cliff where I started I'll wrap the rope up in itself and carry it on my back. Some place like the RRG I might carry a couple of tarps on top of the rope bag in a vain effort to stay quasi clean. And in the gym I'll admit I'm jealous of those rope buckets, but I don't go to a gym often enough to warrent it.

But in the end I find a rope bag very useful for the majority of my climbing and it seems good for someone looking for a general solution.

kennoyce

Mar 29, 2012, 7:56 PM
Post #44 of 55 (3842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
... but all the hardcore RCers who insist $$$$ bags are the only way to go ... damn gumby MPer Tongue

I love how you keep on calling them $$$$ bags as if they cost soooo much money. I bought my current rope bag in 2001for about $30.00. I currently climb outside once a week on average (but have climbed much more than that prior to having kids), so just to make the math nice and easy, lets say that I have used my rope bag 600 times since I bought it (i'm sure it's been more than that). That means that it has cost me a grand total of $0.05 per use. Personally, I think that $0.05 per use was money well spent.

Obviously you don't need a rope bag, but I would certainly recommend one to the OP if he plans on doing much single pitch cragging.

olderic

Mar 29, 2012, 7:58 PM
Post #45 of 55 (3840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gabe - you realize that I am just playing a role here - right? My cellar probably contains more old rope bags (real ones) then everyone else on this thread put together has. But to answer your question - in the context of this thread, a gym would be one place where a official bag would be serious overkill and not even the best solution. The Yuppie response to that is usually - the MadRock bucket thingie is just the ticket - but even that is over priced and not as good as a collapsible laundry basket from Target.

If I ever grow a new rotator cuff (6 weeks post surgery today - 6 months "growing" time before I am supposed to touch a rock) maybe I won't be so cranky - but I probably will be.

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 8:03 PM
Post #46 of 55 (3837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when the works just as well alternative is 69 cents (add a buck or two for a cheap tarp if you want that as well) vs the $30-60 ... which is basically a cam, a few draws or a good climbing book or two ...

it is $$$$ for something that is functionally equivalent to its "cheaper" alternative Wink

Partner cracklover

Mar 29, 2012, 8:05 PM
Post #47 of 55 (3833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Gabe - you realize that I am just playing a role here - right? My cellar probably contains more old rope bags (real ones) then everyone else on this thread put together has. But to answer your question - in the context of this thread, a gym would be one place where a official bag would be serious overkill and not even the best solution. The Yuppie response to that is usually - the MadRock bucket thingie is just the ticket - but even that is over priced and not as good as a collapsible laundry basket from Target.

If I ever grow a new rotator cuff (6 weeks post surgery today - 6 months "growing" time before I am supposed to touch a rock) maybe I won't be so cranky - but I probably will be.

My point is that if you have a rope bag... whadda ya know, a rope bag is the best and cheapest solution!

Well, you came back from your ankle, despite all the terrible prognoses. I have high hopes for you (and by extension, the rest of us heading down the same path). Sorry for the long sit-down. 12 months off rock is a bitch. Good luck.

And you realize that my role is to poke holes in your faulty logic to help get you riled up. I just love it when the old man shakes his cane and starts hopping up and down and frothing at the mouth.

GAngelic

shimanilami

Mar 29, 2012, 8:48 PM
Post #48 of 55 (3808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
There is a dude at my gym that uses a basket exactly like the kind snake charmers in India use. It's bad-ass. Every time I look over and see the rope coiling out of that basket, I'm like, "Watch out!! Fucking cobra!!" And then he flakes the rope back in, like he's charming that cobra back into it's lair. And I'm like, "Fuck, dude. That is so bad-ass."

I mean, a Rope Master is cool and all, but it ain't no cobra basket.

I tried to set y'all straight, but sometimes some people need reminding: COBRA BASKET! It doubles nicely for laundry, too.

Every time you posers get in this IKEA bag circle jerk, I feel sorry for you. 2008?! Try 2000 late. I'm going Ghandi-style, yo, and throwin' my Rope Master and IKEA bag in the trash!

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Mar 29, 2012, 8:59 PM)

blueeyedclimber

Mar 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #49 of 55 (3740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
when the works just as well alternative is 69 cents (add a buck or two for a cheap tarp if you want that as well) vs the $30-60 ... which is basically a cam, a few draws or a good climbing book or two ...

it is $$$$ for something that is functionally equivalent to its "cheaper" alternative Wink

This thread is silly. If you are looking for a rope bag, then you can't do better than Metolius (metal buckles that won't break, and no zipper). If you like the IKEA bag and you think it fills your needs, then great. If you find no use for a tarp or bag then that's fine too.

Personally, though, I like this......

Cool

Josh

Partner robdotcalm

Mar 31, 2012, 9:08 PM
Post #50 of 55 (3696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] keeping rope untangled [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a way to save 69¢. Buy a Mammut rope and get this Ikea-like bag for free. It's even better than Ikea as it has two loops inside for securing the ends of the rope.

rob.calm
[/image]
Attachments: ropeBag.jpg (115 KB)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook