RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

surfergirl

Apr 5, 2012, 6:16 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2763 views)
Shortcut

lump on back of hand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so now that i've addressed the finger injury, i have another question. I do a lot of crackclimbing (usually with tape). Well there is now a lump on the back of my hand, near the knuckle but more on the hand itself not right on the knuckle. It kinda just looks swollen as if i cranked too hard...except it's looked like this for several weeks now. It does not hurt at all. Mostly i'm just concerned that my hands are going to start growing lumps like this and pretty soon they will look really, really nasty (they already look nasty enough). Anyone know what this is?

styndall

Apr 5, 2012, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfergirl] lump on back of hand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It might be a ganglion cyst. They're common on hands and wrists.

sbaclimber

Apr 5, 2012, 8:44 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
Well there is now a lump on the back of my hand, near the knuckle but more on the hand itself not right on the knuckle. It kinda just looks swollen as if i cranked too hard...except it's looked like this for several weeks now. It does not hurt at all
Seeing as it doesn't hurt, I would personally 2nd styndall's assumption that it is a ganglion cyst. (all usual caveats apply of course...)
I have had a number of ganglion cysts, non-ganglion cysts, and a carpal boss (<< so far self-diagnosed). If it moves, is soft, and non-painful, then it is most likely a ganglion cyst.
There are self remedies, and professional remedies.....which you choose is up to you. Tongue
(regardless, ymmv)

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Apr 5, 2012, 8:46 PM)

wwalt822

Apr 5, 2012, 8:49 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll third the cyst suggestion, my wife has one on her wrist. Her doctor had her get an MRI to make sure it wasn't going to mess up anything deeper in the wrist. It wasn't hurting anything so she just lives with it. It can grow and shrink over time too.

houslele

Apr 5, 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah it is most likely some sort of cyst caused by overworking the area. I have a very similar bump in my shin area. Doctor says it could just be scar tissue building up from exercise (i.e. I played select soccer for ten years). Wouldn't worry about it

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook