Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

theextremist04

Apr 6, 2012, 3:08 AM
Post #101 of 104 (1023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Still not Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Wait a minute... if lots of people run, but not on TV, does that mean it's not popular? Consumerist culture does not define popularity. Whether or not someone has figured out a way to package and sell something does not define whether or not people actually inherently like it.

GO

There is no way of knowing how everyone defines the word popular so I just used my own definition. I measured popularity by television viewers as opposed to participants because television programs can draw in the millions where race participants are usually in the tens of thousands.

If a sport has millions of viewers(Super Bowl, World Series, World Cup) I would say it is popular. When a sport(The Boston) can’t even draw enough viewers to justify showing it on an off channel(Versus) on an “off day”(Patriots day) then I don’t really consider it to be very popular.
I don't think that's true. For example, the Tour de France has more viewers (in person) than the Superbowl. Does that mean it gets more television coverage? No. Some sports (including climbing) are just more popular in other parts of the world than they are here. Such a shame, since we have so much good rock.

JasonsDrivingForce

Apr 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #102 of 104 (997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Still not Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for writing that edge and thank you for everything you have done to help indoor and outdoor climbing progress. I see your point about affecting the outdoor climbing with overcrowding. However, I don’t think it will have quite the impact like snowboarding had.

If you want to snowboard like they do in the Olympics then you have to go to a ski/snowboarding slope to do that. If climbing becomes an Olympic sport and someone wants to climb like them then you will need to go to a gym and not necessarily go outdoors.

I don’t doubt that when climbing becomes an Olympic sport gyms around the world will be full of little kids talking about numbers more than actually climbing. However, there will still be a select few kids that are training like they do today.

Those will be the kids that also are climbing consistently outside and eventually they will be the ones that make it to the Olympics.

The Olympics will significantly increase the traffic in climbing gyms. I am still not convinced that it will significantly increase the traffic in the areas where the more experienced climbers on this board climb.

Places like Pilot Mountain near where I live will almost certainly be overcrowded with kids playing loud music. However, it is like that today. I doubt some of the trad climbing places like Moores Wall a few miles down the road will have any more traffic than they do now. The traffic in the bouldering areas in those places might increase. However, I doubt the roped sections will see more people than they do now.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on Apr 6, 2012, 12:53 PM)

JasonsDrivingForce

Apr 6, 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #103 of 104 (992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] Still not Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

theextremist04 wrote:
I don't think that's true. For example, the Tour de France has more viewers (in person) than the Superbowl. Does that mean it gets more television coverage? No. Some sports (including climbing) are just more popular in other parts of the world than they are here. Such a shame, since we have so much good rock.

I have watched just about every Tour de France on TV since I was 7. It gets plenty of coverage and has plenty of viewers in person and on TV.

Tour de France coverage at its lowest gets about 150,000 viewers per stage. I doubt that every single stage has 150,000 people along the roadside. Yes some of the bigger stages definitely have more than that. However, those stages also get a lot more viewers on TV.

All of this pales in comparison to the 100 million television viewers the Super Bowl has. Never mind the millions of viewers the regular season has.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/...ratings_down_so.html

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/...-ratings-jump/22990/

Nadam

Apr 8, 2012, 4:04 AM
Post #104 of 104 (922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fsacb3] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fsacb3 wrote:
We're obsessed with numbers, both age and grade.

Big competition usually takes the fun out of climbing.
Especially when beaten by a wee one.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook