RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Nayas

Apr 15, 2012, 3:57 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1421 views)
Shortcut

First Climbing Trip... Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I been climbing for the last 2 years. We been climbing indoor only so far. We been climbing top rope for 1.5 years and lead for 0.5 year.

We are taking our outside top rope class in 2 weeks to learn how to do the anchor and stuff.

For this summer vacation, we are looking to mix both climbing and camping.
I bought "Adirondack ROCK" book and been reading website.

I would like to know what would be a good place in Adirondack to do camping and top rope climbing?

If I understand correctly what I read, Beer Wall would be a good spot?
Is there many walls to climb in that spot? Is it close to a camping?

Thank you very much for every suggestions.
Felix

ctrickey

Apr 20, 2012, 9:55 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Nayas] First Climbing Trip... Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi There,

I actually just spent for days down in the Chapel Pond Pass area, which is where the Beer Walls are located. They are probably the best place to do some top roping, because of ease of access to the top, and an incredible variety of different styles and grades. Some of the climbs are really only good for lead, since they either traverse or are too tall for a slingshot top rope setup. If you are willing to do a top belay you could probably do a few more, but based on what you've said, that might not be the best thing to start with.

If you are looking for some easy sport routes, Sunshine city in Spanky's area is a great choice, ranging from 5.7 to 5.10c and beyond. You can find the info in Adirondack Rock pg. 159.

For Beer Walls, some easy areas for top rope setup are in the Afternoon Delight area (pg. 247) and a bunch of short climbs just at the beginning of the Upper Beer Walls pg. 240 - climbs 7-10.

For camping, there are a number of campsites along the road that are easy to find. If you are willing to do a 5 minute walk, I highly recommend a campsite by Roaring Brook Falls (pg. 262). When you come to the base of the falls, watch out for little yellow camping tags. Cross the creek the runs away from the falls and you will find a trail on the other side. I've never run into anyone here myself, and its a beautiful campsite. This campsite is about two minutes down the road from the Beer Walls trail head. I've recently posted on the area in my blog, which you are more than welcome to check out.
http://www.rockclimbingonsight.com/...ng-chapel-pond-pass/

Good luck and all the best.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook