Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Summit Rock CLOSED
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fusatia

Jan 16, 2010, 4:28 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Summit Rock CLOSED  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Francisco_Bay: Castle_Rock_State_Park: Summit_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The park has decided to CLOSE Summit Rock, posting a sign on a gate noting that the area is closed due to sensitive habitats and it will be reopened when the park deems it safe. The same sign also shows a graphic indicating that climbing is prohibited.

I discovered this when I arrived from out of town to do a little climbing while in the area on 1/15/2010.

boulderTroll

Jan 16, 2010, 5:16 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fusatia] Summit Rock CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it has been closed for over a year now so this is really old news and with all of the hoodlums going out there with spray paint and beer bottles it will never be reopened.

fusatia

Jan 17, 2010, 6:13 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boulderTroll] Summit Rock CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...information which people who are from out-of-area (like myself) did not find posted anywhere, thus I'm letting people know so their trips aren't ruined like mine was.

Thanks for the contribution.

pplachta

May 30, 2010, 9:05 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boulderTroll] Summit Rock CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well actually, ironically, ever since they closed it it got way worse (i.e., more spray paint & broken bottles).

Does anyone know why it's still closed? I went to inspect it last weekend, no sign of any danger to wildlife.
It closed
In reply to:
last year because there was 1 nesting falcon close to the Practice Climb #2.

rhyang

May 30, 2010, 2:19 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pplachta] Summit Rock CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Raptor closure. There's a thread on supertopo about it. I guess some folks from the Access Fund are facilitating discussions with the county.

morcomm

Apr 16, 2012, 8:59 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhyang] Summit Rock CLOSED [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can write a letter from the Access Fund requesting that a typical, seasonal closure be implemented at Summit Rock by clicking on this link:

http://www.accessfund.org/c.tmL5KhNWLrH/b.5208267/k.8C84/Action_Center/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx?c=tmL5KhNWLrH&b=5208267&aid=516572

The seasonal closure that the Access Fund is trying to negotiate with Santa Clara County Parks would run from January to August to allow the peregrines to nest and fledge. This is the way it's done in every other climbing area in the USA.

Be sure to click on the Access Fund link and register your comments with the authorities. Rock climbing has gone on at Summit Rock for at least 60 years and represents one-half of the recreational rock climbing opportunities in Santa Clara County.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook