RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Gradisek

Apr 30, 2012, 2:42 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Looking to learn some multi-pitch / trad - somewhere in the Midwest-ish area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I live in Columbus, OH and I've recently come to the realization that given my love for massive mountains that I need to learn some trad and multi-pitch skills or else I'm limiting myself to garbage walk-ups. I'd love to barter some beers or a ride to somewhere in exchange for teaching myself and a buddy some basics of placing gear and general multi-pitch such as self-rescue and so-forth. Anyone willing, please give me a shout!

-Ben

(This post was edited by Gradisek on Apr 30, 2012, 2:45 PM)

Kartessa

Apr 30, 2012, 8:11 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gradisek] Looking to learn some multi-pitch / trad - somewhere in the Midwest-ish area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gradisek wrote:
Hey all,

I live in Columbus, OH and I've recently come to the realization that given my love for massive mountains that I need to learn some trad and multi-pitch skills or else I'm limiting myself to garbage walk-ups. I'd love to barter some beers or a ride to somewhere in exchange for teaching myself and a buddy some basics of placing gear and general multi-pitch such as self-rescue and so-forth. Anyone willing, please give me a shout!

-Ben

Sounds pretty straight-forward... Until you understand everything that that entails...

How about starting small... Ask if you can follow some pitches, be a belay bitch and clean up after a leader.

Good luck man! I live in single-pitch southern ontario

sherpa79

Apr 30, 2012, 9:29 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gradisek] Looking to learn some multi-pitch / trad - somewhere in the Midwest-ish area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Red River Gorge, KY, though know for it's single pitch stuff, does have a handfull of good multi-pitch trad lines. That's the closest to you, and the Gorge has a vibrant climber's community. Just go down there, camp at Miguell's, and find someone to climb with.
Next closest is probably Seneca Rocks, WV . Maybe a little harder to find a partner there, but still, not that hard. Ask around at the Gendarme. Plenty of easy to moderate multipitch to get on there. Again, go on a weekend and make friends.

DougMartin

May 1, 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sherpa79] Looking to learn some multi-pitch / trad - somewhere in the Midwest-ish area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sherpa79 wrote:
Red River Gorge, KY, though know for it's single pitch stuff, does have a handfull of good multi-pitch trad lines. That's the closest to you, and the Gorge has a vibrant climber's community. Just go down there, camp at Miguell's, and find someone to climb with.
Next closest is probably Seneca Rocks, WV . Maybe a little harder to find a partner there, but still, not that hard. Ask around at the Gendarme. Plenty of easy to moderate multipitch to get on there. Again, go on a weekend and make friends.

Seneca on the weekends, 100% agree with that.

Gradisek

May 1, 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Looking to learn some multi-pitch / trad - somewhere in the Midwest-ish area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha yeah that's basically the gist of my request...I know I'm gonna be following and watching, and am very aware that there's a ton to learn. I saw similar posts to this and a few people offer to let someone tag along, figured it was worth a shot.

Ontario huh? Haven't been up there in years...

Thanks guys...I go to the Red at least once a year and am in the New 4-5 times a year to raft, which usually goes hand-in-hand with a day of climbing too...not a bad plan.

Kartessa

May 2, 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It can be hard to teach a lot of skills to two peopleat once.

You and your friend might want to split on a guide.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook