Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Highest Road?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

trisgo

May 1, 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Highest Road?  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Northern_Colorado)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

Me and a friend are going to be climbing at Lumpy Ridge around the end of May, and on one of our rest days, we wanted to see how high up we can drive. Can anyone tell me what's the highest point in RMNP that you can drive to and what road?

Peace

plantmandan

May 3, 2012, 8:16 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trisgo] Highest Road? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The highest road in RMNP is the Trail Ridge Road. It goes up to over 12,000 feet. If you want to go even higher and are willing to drive a few hours from RMNP, the Mount Evans Road goes up to 14,000ft.

Both of these roads should be open by Memorial Day weekend, but that could change if there is a late season blizzard. Check the road conditions before you head out.

edge

May 3, 2012, 9:28 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trisgo] Highest Road? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trisgo wrote:
Hey all,

Me and a friend are going to be climbing at Lumpy Ridge around the end of May, and on one of our rest days, we wanted to see how high up we can drive. Can anyone tell me what's the highest point in RMNP that you can drive to and what road?

Peace

Trail Ridge is a great drive and will get you well above treeline with lots of pull-offs to get out and enjoy the views. Near it's top is a gift shop where you can get something to eat or buy tchotchke. You can follow it all the way to Grand Lake and back for a nice drive, just be mindful of predicted thunder storms...

On the way up and if it's open, I highly recommend Fall River Road which is the original road into the park interior. It is one way only (up) and is narrow with lots of tight hairpin turns i.e. don't bring your RV up there. It joins Trail Ridge just above tree line.

There are some nice hikes all along the way as well.

(This post was edited by edge on May 3, 2012, 9:29 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook