RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

climbingaggie03

May 16, 2012, 4:07 AM
Post #1 of 12 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Shoe Recomendation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm in the market for new shoes for the first time in nearly 10 years. I had 2 pairs of 5.10 ascents, one that let my toes lay flat and were great all day and crack climbing, I have a tighter pair that gives me more performance but less comfort.

My comfortable shoes were in my haulbag in camp 4 and a mouse chewed on them and died in one of them, so I think they're retired.

Now I need some new all day/crack shoes. My first thought is some La sportiva Mythos, I also want to try some 5.10 Coyote VCS. I prefer velcro, but can live with laces. Also I have wide duck feet so shoes that fit well are hard to find. Are there any other shoes I should try on?

also if anybody has any ideas on how to get rid of dead mouse funk, I'm all ears.

climbingaggie03

May 17, 2012, 4:19 PM
Post #2 of 12 (4012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Shoe Recomendation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone?

SylviaSmile

May 17, 2012, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 12 (4009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
So I'm in the market for new shoes for the first time in nearly 10 years. I had 2 pairs of 5.10 ascents, one that let my toes lay flat and were great all day and crack climbing, I have a tighter pair that gives me more performance but less comfort.

My comfortable shoes were in my haulbag in camp 4 and a mouse chewed on them and died in one of them, so I think they're retired.

Now I need some new all day/crack shoes. My first thought is some La sportiva Mythos, I also want to try some 5.10 Coyote VCS. I prefer velcro, but can live with laces. Also I have wide duck feet so shoes that fit well are hard to find. Are there any other shoes I should try on?

also if anybody has any ideas on how to get rid of dead mouse funk, I'm all ears.

Since you said velcro, I like my Spirit VCR Impact Zone shoes with velcro; they are comfortable for wearing for several hours without taking them off. I also have narrow feet and have to velcro them up all the way tight, so they'd probably have room for wider feet.

jp_sucks

May 17, 2012, 7:24 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have really wide feet, stick with 5.10 shoes. If they're not too wide, check out Evolv shoes as well.

climbingaggie03

May 17, 2012, 7:46 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Shoe Recomendation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have really wide feet, Triple E wide, even 5.10 shoes aren't really wide enough, my foot way over flows the sole using the rand on the outsides of the foot.

jp_sucks

May 17, 2012, 8:09 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you near an REI or some other big store with a good selection? Your best bet is going to be spending a few hrs in a store that carries 30-40 models and put the time in trying lots on.

jpanderson80

May 17, 2012, 8:58 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My feet are wide too... 4E. I'm interested in hearing the responses too.

...just letting you know that you're not the only one out there. Hey... we're really good at smearing!

shockabuku

May 17, 2012, 9:54 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I have really wide feet, Triple E wide, even 5.10 shoes aren't really wide enough, my foot way over flows the sole using the rand on the outsides of the foot.

The Mythos are relatively narrow - to start with. But since they're unlined leather they stretch a lot. I have a mildly wide foot and got a pair that were too small in both directions to start, and now I can wear them pretty much all day with no issues. They're also on about their 4th resole.

climbingaggie03

May 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Shoe Recomendation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not near an REI or big outdoors store, but I do have one a couple of hours away that I'll probably hit up and try them on, I just don't want to try on every single model.

shockabuku

May 18, 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #10 of 12 (3919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I'm not near an REI or big outdoors store, but I do have one a couple of hours away that I'll probably hit up and try them on, I just don't want to try on every single model.

If I was driving a couple of hours to try on shoes I'd try on every one in which I was even remotely interested.

acorneau

May 18, 2012, 9:49 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also in the wide/duck/hobbit feet category...

My usual everyday/gym shoe is the LS Nago (or it's velcro brother, the Arco). The Nago is available at REI and is actually on sale right now for ~$75.

Even though they're lace-up only you should also check out the TC Pro's. (When I have saved up some extra spending money I'm going to get a pair.)

I've also heard good things about Acopa's but I haven't had any opportunity to try a pair on yet.

wmshub

May 18, 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Shoe Recomendation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have wide toes but a narrow heel. I don't think there are any shoes that fit me properly right out of the box, but with laceups I can at least adjust to get things snug all along my foot. I know you said you wanted velcro, but if you're having fit problems then I think you should reconsider. Laces are just more adjustable. (I use Mythos and they fit me fine after I tweaked the lacing).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook