Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New Dixie Cragger's Atlas Guidebook for AL and GA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Ropeless

May 23, 2012, 7:27 PM
Post #1 of 3 (3818 views)
Shortcut

New Dixie Cragger's Atlas Guidebook for AL and GA  (North_America: United_States: Alabama)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just picked up a copy and it's pretty sweet. All in color with route photos. A few new areas, most notably Little River Canyon in Alabama. Last time I tried to go there I couldn't find any info. Lookin to go as soon as school's out in a week or so. Also want to check out Steele, which I've heard of but never been.

jae8908

May 23, 2012, 9:06 PM
Post #2 of 3 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ropeless] New Dixie Cragger's Atlas Guidebook for AL and GA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just keep an eye on the grades in the book. there are quite a few misprints.

Ropeless

May 25, 2012, 1:32 AM
Post #3 of 3 (3751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] New Dixie Cragger's Atlas Guidebook for AL and GA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh...grades...really? I don't look for a guidebook to be super accurate for grades, as they change all the time. I see that in all guidebooks, every one I've ever owned. You can ask 20 different climbers the grade of a route and get 20 different answers. What I want from a guidebook are clear directions on how to get someplace, have all (or most) of the routes, as much as possible. I didn't see that many off grades. The Little River Canyon chapter so far has been spot on. I've seen lots of really poor quality guidebooks, and in my experience, the DCA books cover a LOT of territory, for not much money. Plus I like the fact that they seem to draw from input from climbers in the community. I know several climbers who were consulted for different areas, which is pretty cool. Big job - I could never do it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook