Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
5.5-5.9 climbs in Canmore/Kananaskis area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Justin20

Jun 7, 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5762 views)
Shortcut

5.5-5.9 climbs in Canmore/Kananaskis area  (North_America: Canada: Alberta)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just looking for beginner rock climbing spots in the Canmore, Kananaskis, Banff area? I know of Grassi lakes but that place gets very busy and that isn't the greatest.

d.vonk

Jun 8, 2012, 4:51 AM
Post #2 of 7 (5728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Justin20] 5.5-5.9 climbs in Canmore/Kananaskis area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Justin20 wrote:
Just looking for beginner rock climbing spots in the Canmore, Kananaskis, Banff area? I know of Grassi lakes but that place gets very busy and that isn't the greatest.

Grassi is a good fun spot when time is limited or a pump is needed. Also
cougar canyon
Heart Creek
Grotto Canyon
Back Of The Back Of The Lake (Lake Louise)
Tunnel mountain (banff)
Barrier (k-country)
Wasootch (k-country)

These are all great spots and you could spend years climbing these Few spots out.

Mish1100

Feb 20, 2014, 1:10 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d.vonk] 5.5-5.9 climbs in Canmore/Kananaskis area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doing a road trip across Canada this summer. Can u give me more info on the one in Lake Louise and Banff please? Sport/trad? Level of difficulty? Top rope-able? Thanks!

amyas

Feb 20, 2014, 1:27 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mish1100] 5.5-5.9 climbs in Canmore/Kananaskis area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lake Louise a must go. Beautiful quartzite in a breathtaking semi-alpine setting. Both sport and trad, 5.4-5.14.
Tunnel mostly sport, 5.5 -5.12 on limestone. Good and walking distance from town, need a 70m or 2 ropes for some single pitch routes.

amyas

Feb 20, 2014, 1:30 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh and you'll have to lead at either place. a few routes you could share an anchor and top rope a second route after leading the first, but probably not a good idea at louise at least since people are usually waiting for a chance at the easy to moderate routes in high season.

markc

Feb 20, 2014, 9:43 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amyas] 5.5-5.9 climbs in Canmore/Kananaskis area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amyas wrote:
Lake Louise a must go. Beautiful quartzite in a breathtaking semi-alpine setting. Both sport and trad, 5.4-5.14.
Tunnel mostly sport, 5.5 -5.12 on limestone. Good and walking distance from town, need a 70m or 2 ropes for some single pitch routes.

The only time I climbed at Lake Louise was when I was visiting a friend for a week. It was in the middle of our trip, and we were so tired that we only did a handful of easy/moderate sport routes. Still, it was well worth it. It's breathtaking!

I've climbed just a little at a number of the crags d.vonk mentioned way back when. Just the variety of formations is really fantastic.

markcarlson

Feb 22, 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mish1100 wrote:
Doing a road trip across Canada this summer. Can u give me more info on the one in Lake Louise and Banff please? Sport/trad? Level of difficulty? Top rope-able? Thanks!

On a related note: Many of the places near Banff and to the east of Banff were affected by flooding last summer. Some approaches are a bit different now, and some routes have first bolts that are much higher or lower than they used to be.

IMO, the best guidebook for the Banff / Lake Louise area is the new Banff Rock book. If you are strapped for cash, you can sometimes get the "Sport Climbs in the Canadian Rockies - 6th Edition" guidebook on Google Play for cheap ($8!)

For beginner sport routes, you can also check out the Sunshine Slabs area in addition to the already mentioned crags:
See here for a topo

It has a number of easy routes and has the shortest approach of any crag in the Canadian Rockies (as far as I know!) It was also affected by the flooding, but most routes are still climbable.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook