Forums: Community: Campground:
The Courtesy Flush: Valid technique or waste of water?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

notapplicable

Jun 22, 2012, 8:33 PM
Post #1 of 10 (5015 views)
Shortcut

The Courtesy Flush: Valid technique or waste of water?
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, the guy in the next stall performed the patented "double flush" earlier today and after observing the water level in my own, presumably similar, porcelain throne, I began to wonder...

It seems to me that the majority of toilet bowels in America contain enough water to fully submerge the average bowel evacuation. If that is the case, and your recent deposit is not so large as to stick out of the water, does a courtesy flush actually serve a purpose? Doesn't the water, at least for the most part, prevent any additional odors from escaping? Certainly there are exceptions like a floater or the runs but I'm thinking more as a general rule.

Gmburns2000

Jun 23, 2012, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] The Courtesy Flush: Valid technique or waste of water? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
So, the guy in the next stall performed the patented "double flush" earlier today and after observing the water level in my own, presumably similar, porcelain throne, I began to wonder...

It seems to me that the majority of toilet bowels in America contain enough water to fully submerge the average bowel evacuation. If that is the case, and your recent deposit is not so large as to stick out of the water, does a courtesy flush actually serve a purpose? Doesn't the water, at least for the most part, prevent any additional odors from escaping? Certainly there are exceptions like a floater or the runs but I'm thinking more as a general rule.

after flushing, i'll usually wait a few seconds to see if anything comes back up. If something does, down it goes with a second flush. If not, the next fucker in line better hold his breath.

chadnsc

Jun 25, 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #3 of 10 (4968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] The Courtesy Flush: Valid technique or waste of water? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My BM's are epic and are barely contained by 3-4 flushes so no, the courtesy flush isn't a waste of water.

T.M.I. ?

donald949

Jun 25, 2012, 5:18 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:

I don't know if its West East Coast thing. But we only do Courtesy Flushes during our bathroom visit if the odor during the process requires it. Don't want the poor next door to pass out now do we?
As a general rule, after the busniess is done, we single flush. Now there is the case when it is not completely flushed out. Which warrents a second. But as a general rule after you're done, once is enough.
Perhaps you should have made this a poll?

jamesnater

Jun 30, 2012, 5:31 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At my work place, the techs/mechanics use the same restrooms as the customers in the lounge area. We are required to courtesy flush every plop as to not clear out the lounge full of customers... haha.

coastal_climber

Jul 4, 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #6 of 10 (4858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] The Courtesy Flush: Valid technique or waste of water? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hit it as you leave, each man for themselves.

AZwolf

Jul 12, 2012, 5:30 AM
Post #7 of 10 (4825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that rather than covering smells the water may help to distribute smells from certain volatile liquids and gases that may become dissolved in the toilet water. I myself have layed down some pipe that required a courtesy flush for my own protection.

johnwesely

Jul 14, 2012, 8:08 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had no idea this was a thing.

pinktricam

Jul 29, 2012, 9:23 AM
Post #9 of 10 (4701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climber49er

Aug 28, 2012, 7:06 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] The Courtesy Flush: Valid technique or waste of water? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jamesnater wrote:
At my work place, the techs/mechanics use the same restrooms as the customers in the lounge area. We are required to courtesy flush every plop as to not clear out the lounge full of customers... haha.

This because techs/mechanics make worse stinks than customers? What if the customer is a tech/mechanic somewhere else, wouldn't they be used to the smells?

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook