Forums: Climbing Information: General:
crash pads gone in climbing gym... good idea?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

todd_climberinla

Jun 30, 2012, 5:38 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3691 views)
Shortcut

crash pads gone in climbing gym... good idea?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few days ago, Rockreation in LA decided to remove all the crash pads from the gym. Granted, the pads were pretty thin and needed to be replaced. Like others, I assumed they were going to put new pads in the bouldering area. In fact, they decided to remove the pads entirely and presumably permanently. The bouldering area is, on average, about 10-12 feet high at the top out, making a fall from the top about 5-6 feet for most people (obviously much more for kids). The floor is, of course, padded, but it's uneven and depressed in various places.

Question: Do other gyms across the country have no crash pads in the bouldering area? Does this work or is this a bad idea? I'd like to give them some feedback, with reference to other bouldering gyms across the country .... thanks!

Rufsen

Jun 30, 2012, 6:59 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [todd_climberinla] crash pads gone in climbing gym... good idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

An uneven and depressed floor will lead to injuries. I spent a couple weeks on cruches because of bad padding once.

Pads might help slightly, but it's not fixing the real problem here.

mounacheese

Jun 30, 2012, 1:49 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [todd_climberinla] crash pads gone in climbing gym... good idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They removed the crashpads in the gym near my house a year or so ago. More people were getting injured from rolling ankles and falling awkwardly off the wall onto the pads. At the same time, they put in new, more level flooring. So far, I haven't noticed or heard about any increase in injuries.

gosharks

Jun 30, 2012, 6:39 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes.

todd_climberinla

Jul 1, 2012, 4:05 AM
Post #5 of 9 (3486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gosharks] crash pads gone in climbing gym... good idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That looks awesome ... but it's quite unlike what we have at Rockreation. First, yours is level and consistent padding, which appears on top of the regular padded floor. From what I can see in the picture, when people stand on the padding, it actually has some give. Our does not. I was surprised that the managers at rockreation weren't even considering redoing the floor padding. Ours is depressed in a few places, the carpet has small tears, it has seams that are somewhat uneven, and its kinda hard, with virtually no give. I'll send them this picture of how it should be! Thanks!

jt512

Jul 1, 2012, 5:42 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

todd_climberinla wrote:
A few days ago, Rockreation in LA decided to remove all the crash pads from the gym. Granted, the pads were pretty thin and needed to be replaced. Like others, I assumed they were going to put new pads in the bouldering area. In fact, they decided to remove the pads entirely and presumably permanently. The bouldering area is, on average, about 10-12 feet high at the top out, making a fall from the top about 5-6 feet for most people (obviously much more for kids). The floor is, of course, padded, but it's uneven and depressed in various places.

This is fucked up. As bad as those pads were, they were better than nothing.

Jay

Bats

Jul 1, 2012, 6:01 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They removed the pads about 2 years ago at the gym where I go bouldering, because a girl missed the pad in landing, and really screwed up her ankle. I think there might have been a law suit, not sure. I've asked management if I could bring my personal pads in, and they are okay with it, but only my friends and I can used them. Meaning they, the management, don't want anyone who does not have my permission to be using them.

hiyapokey

Jul 9, 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just recently got back into climbing at the gym. The reason for the hiatus was that I fell wrong on a crash pad and rolled my ankle bad. I feel differently now about bouldering and am super careful when I do. The gym that I just joined has crazy high bouldering routes and requires the use of pads. The pads are great if you land on them in the middle. I see far too many people who boulder without spotters though.

weschrist

Jul 15, 2012, 4:45 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rufsen] crash pads gone in climbing gym... good idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The real problem here is gravity. Why don't they just remove that? Flattening the gym floor will do little compared to flattening the space-time continuum. A little apergy can go a long way.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook