RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

scrapedape

Aug 14, 2012, 2:19 AM
Post #1 of 7 (15037 views)
Shortcut

harness recommendation for toddler
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm wondering what harnesses parents can recommend for a toddler. I've found a few options from the major manufacturers, such as this one from Petzl, this one from Mammut, and this one from CAMP. Anyone have any experience with these, good or bad, or have another they would recommend choosing or avoiding?

My son is a little over two and pretty small - about 26 lbs - but he loves climbing anything he can get up and has said he wants to climb with his dad.

shockabuku

Aug 14, 2012, 3:52 AM
Post #2 of 7 (15013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] harness recommendation for toddler [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've tried the Petzl one and a similar Trango harness. The Petzl fit significantly better but was also significantly more expensive.

You should note that the youngest specified age for these is 3 yrs for the Camp, 4 for the Petzl, and unspecified for the Mammut. I suspect that none of them will fit a 26 lb. two year old but you can probably try the Petzl in REI or some place like that.

I'd be surprised if you really needed it though. Most kids that age don't go over about 6 feet up before they decide they've reached their reasonable height limit.

FFSchooley

Aug 14, 2012, 4:24 AM
Post #3 of 7 (15006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My son is the same age and same weight and loves to climb. I am looking at getting him the trango harness. The problem I found is not necessarily that some don't fit, but where the rope ties in and where it ends up when he weights the harness. It seems that the ones at the gym end up in his face and he is not a fan of that. The trango looks like it will fit, has the most adjustability, and the tie in point seems lower and more adjustable. Hope that helps.

Guran

Aug 14, 2012, 1:29 PM
Post #4 of 7 (14937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] harness recommendation for toddler [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd be surprised if you really needed it though. Most kids that age don't go over about 6 feet up before they decide they've reached their reasonable height limit.

The problem when climbing with small kids is usually how to get them down, once they are beyond your reach.

I've seen more than one kid freeze up and refuse to let go when it gets scary. And try to explain to a frightened child how to use his/her feet to keep the body away from protruding holds.
Not to mention the "No honey it's not a swing, you'll bump in to the w... o never mind..."

Lesson learned: make sure they know how to be lowered before they climb out of reach.

Kartessa

Aug 14, 2012, 2:24 PM
Post #5 of 7 (14927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

We have the Trango and an Edelrid harness... I really dig the Edelrid for the smaller kids, won't go as big as the trango (but you have a tiny one anyways)

Also on the bright side, its cheaper than the other brands and my son finds it super comfy

http://www.edelrid.de/...rnesses/fraggle.html

Kartessa

Aug 14, 2012, 2:28 PM
Post #6 of 7 (14926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Guran] harness recommendation for toddler [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guran wrote:
The problem when climbing with small kids is usually how to get them down, once they are beyond your reach.

Easy with the little ones... just shake the line, they're so light you can shake them off the holds/rock

bettertrees

Apr 17, 2016, 7:53 PM
Post #7 of 7 (11869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] harness recommendation for toddler [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That was what I thought, but my little dude saw me climbing a tree and wanted in, so I just set a life grade pulley about twenty feet up and tied him a makeshift 5 point from some webbing and double lockers and pulled him up while his mother ran belay from my harness.

At 20 feet, he was upset that that was it. And I expected to spook him by zipping him down, but the kid is fearless. We did that and swung him around for an hour before we were done, and he was still all about it.
Needless to say, he is getting a legit harness once I decide which one of the limited options there are for almost 3 year olds is the one I want.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook