Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Looking for the ideal place to alpine climb and ski on the East Coast.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Gazleahork

Aug 16, 2012, 3:04 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Looking for the ideal place to alpine climb and ski on the East Coast.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have just moved to the states from the UK and have been climbing mostly in the Alps, Spain and well the UK. I am currently living in NYC but am looking for a place on the East Coast where i can continue Alpine climbing and skiing all within roughly the same area.

I have looked at the Adirondacks, Mount Washington and a few other places but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Can anyone give me some ideas as to where a good location would be to move to so i can continue climbing.

Also i am looking for a climbing partner and would like to find someone climbing around the same level. I have been climbing around French 7C+, V10, WI4, ED recently but i'm a little out of shape. I am looking for someone around the same level to get out with thats amped for trying new routes, improving there ability and just totally motivated for climbing at any spare moment.

Cheers

Gaz

carabiner96

Aug 16, 2012, 3:25 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gazleahork] Looking for the ideal place to alpine climb and ski on the East Coast. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stowe. Right between the Daks and Whites, greens have great backcountry skiing in they're own right, not too far from climbing in Quebec, Willoughby, and skiing in the chic chocs.

Gazleahork

Aug 16, 2012, 3:36 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Looking for the ideal place to alpine climb and ski on the East Coast. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheers! Thats sounds great but i don't really know what any of the area's are right now. i've just ordered a heap of books on climbing in the area and reckon i can figure it out from that though. Do you know of any decent companiees out there were i could look for possible job oppurtnities

carabiner96

Aug 16, 2012, 3:38 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gazleahork] Looking for the ideal place to alpine climb and ski on the East Coast. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Sorry, I had read it that you were looking to move. You've got it about right, Mount Washington Valley is excellent and Mt Katahdin in Maine is primo remote alpine climbing and skiing.

Gazleahork

Aug 16, 2012, 3:47 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Looking for the ideal place to alpine climb and ski on the East Coast. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there any where in NY where you can Ski and Climb?

cclarke

Aug 16, 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yes, the Adirondacks has both climbing and skiing. In the right conditions it is loads of fun. The rock and ice climbing is pretty easy to find out about but it takes a bit longer to figure out the skiing.

But if you really want alpine climbing and alpine skiing the East Coast of the US is not the place to be.

Gmburns2000

Aug 17, 2012, 2:24 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Sorry, I had read it that you were looking to move. You've got it about right, Mount Washington Valley is excellent and Mt Katahdin in Maine is primo remote alpine climbing and skiing.

Cannon has both. How many times have people climbed and then skied? Honest question, actually.

Gazleahork

Aug 17, 2012, 3:19 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Looking for the ideal place to alpine climb and ski on the East Coast. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The east coast definitely isn't the place i want to be but for now i'm stuck here, this winter at least so i appreciate all the advice! Ski mountaineering is the muts nuts. bit of alpine then a ski home when your totally shagged.

Gmburns2000

Aug 17, 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gazleahork wrote:
The east coast definitely isn't the place i want to be but for now i'm stuck here, this winter at least so i appreciate all the advice! Ski mountaineering is the muts nuts. bit of alpine then a ski home when your totally shagged.

To the best of my knowledge, Cannon doesn't have any alpine-type skiing (it's been YEARS since I last skied there), but the climbing definitely is alpine. The skiing is the same as a normal ski area, with lifts and a coffee shop on the top.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook