Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sangiro

Aug 20, 2012, 3:12 PM
Post #1 of 28 (26085 views)
Shortcut

D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heya all,

I have some exciting news to share today. We’ve entered into an agreement to buy back Dropzone.com, BASEjumper.com and Rockclimbing.com. See the official PR below. There are several factors that played in on this decision and that got us to this point. Bringing these sites back into the D4DR Media stable at this time provides us with the best opportunity to improve on what’s been created here over many years and ensure their longevity.

So what will happen next? Right now I don't have a long list of plans lined up to execute. We've been managing these sites as a partner and more recently as minority stakeholder since the day we initially sold them so while the ownership just changed, our involvement really doesn't. I think the moderators and Bryn are doing an excellent job at being available to you guys to help steer the ship in the forums and they will continue to do so.

We're excited to be able to focus on this community again. We're looking forward to the opportunity to grow and improve the site. Smile

Sangiro

Press Release:
------------------------------------------
D4DR Media Acquires Dropzone.com, BASEjumper.com and Rockclimbing.com to Refocus on Adventure Sport Communities

Somerset West (South Africa) August 20, 2012 - D4DR Media announced today that the company will acquire and operate three of the leading sites in the adventure sport category: Dropzone.com, BASEjumper.com and RockClimbing.com.

Willem Grobler, the CEO of D4DR Media, originally founded Dropzone.com in 1994. Dropzone.com merged with Rockclimbing.com in 2005 and in the year after these two sites started operating under the banner of D4DR Media. In 2007 BASEjumper.com was added to the portfolio of leading adventure sport sites .

"I have a personal history with Dropzone.com spanning almost two decades" Grobler was quoted as saying. "Bringing Dropzone.com, BASEjumper.com and Rockclimbing.com back to D4DR Media will give us the opportunity to refocus on the adventure sport niche and reconnect with some old and new friends."

D4DR Media will continue to build on the success of these sites by providing a platform for members to interact, share knowledge, experiences and ideas. Focus will be also be brought to efforts to help introduce new members to these sports by leveraging the reach of new and existing online channels.

"These are well-established communities and the company understands the strong underlying cultures and the industries that support these sports. Social media, new web and mobile platforms and technologies, application based interaction and different form-factor handheld devices have changed how individuals and businesses find and share information," said Grobler. "D4DR Media is looking forward to exploring how to solidify the foundations of these sites but also reinvigorate them to grow these great online communities."

About D4DR Media:
D4DR Media CC is a privately held company based just outside Cape Town in Somerset West (South Africa). D4DR Media owns or operates a portfolio of leading adventure sport portals which include Dropzone.com, Rockclimbing.com, BASEjumper.com and Divetime.com. These sites serve the skydiving, rock climbing, BASE jumping and scuba diving communities world-wide by providing platforms for sport participant and industry interaction.

Charl Liebenberg
D4DR Media - Marketing Lead
info@d4drmedia.com
10 Lourensford Rd
Somerset West
South Africa

jt512

Aug 20, 2012, 5:43 PM
Post #2 of 28 (25999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sangiro] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (14 ratings)  
Can't Post

Big fucking deal.

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 20, 2012, 5:43 PM)

iknowfear

Aug 20, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #3 of 28 (25978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sangiro] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKbFb6TPVEA

curt

Aug 20, 2012, 7:15 PM
Post #4 of 28 (25937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Big fucking deal.

More like "here we go again" Cool

Curt

sungam

Aug 21, 2012, 1:14 AM
Post #5 of 28 (25796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

When is GMBurns200 getting made a mod? That dude is absurdly legit and needs to be more respected around here. I feel a good dose of power would solve this.

Gmburns2000

Aug 21, 2012, 3:05 AM
Post #6 of 28 (25757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
When is GMBurns200 getting made a mod? That dude is absurdly legit and needs to be more respected around here. I feel a good dose of power would solve this.

Considering I'm bleepin' poor these days, I could use the opportunity to take advantage of the pro-deal, too.

guangzhou

Aug 21, 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #7 of 28 (25683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sangiro wrote:
Heya all,

I have some exciting news to share today. We’ve entered into an agreement to buy back Dropzone.com, BASEjumper.com and Rockclimbing.com. See the official PR below. There are several factors that played in on this decision and that got us to this point. Bringing these sites back into the D4DR Media stable at this time provides us with the best opportunity to improve on what’s been created here over many years and ensure their longevity.

So what will happen next? Right now I don't have a long list of plans lined up to execute. We've been managing these sites as a partner and more recently as minority stakeholder since the day we initially sold them so while the ownership just changed, our involvement really doesn't. I think the moderators and Bryn are doing an excellent job at being available to you guys to help steer the ship in the forums and they will continue to do so.

We're excited to be able to focus on this community again. We're looking forward to the opportunity to grow and improve the site. Smile

Sangiro

Press Release:
D4DR Media Acquires Dropzone.com, BASEjumper.com and Rockclimbing.com to Refocus on Adventure Sport Communities

Somerset West (South Africa) August 20, 2012 - D4DR Media announced today that the company will acquire and operate three of the leading sites in the adventure sport category: Dropzone.com, BASEjumper.com and RockClimbing.com.

Willem Grobler, the CEO of D4DR Media, originally founded Dropzone.com in 1994. Dropzone.com merged with Rockclimbing.com in 2005 and in the year after these two sites started operating under the banner of D4DR Media. In 2007 BASEjumper.com was added to the portfolio of leading adventure sport sites .

"I have a personal history with Dropzone.com spanning almost two decades" Grobler was quoted as saying. "Bringing Dropzone.com, BASEjumper.com and Rockclimbing.com back to D4DR Media will give us the opportunity to refocus on the adventure sport niche and reconnect with some old and new friends."

D4DR Media will continue to build on the success of these sites by providing a platform for members to interact, share knowledge, experiences and ideas. Focus will be also be brought to efforts to help introduce new members to these sports by leveraging the reach of new and existing online channels.

"These are well-established communities and the company understands the strong underlying cultures and the industries that support these sports. Social media, new web and mobile platforms and technologies, application based interaction and different form-factor handheld devices have changed how individuals and businesses find and share information," said Grobler. "D4DR Media is looking forward to exploring how to solidify the foundations of these sites but also reinvigorate them to grow these great online communities."

About D4DR Media:
D4DR Media CC is a privately held company based just outside Cape Town in Somerset West (South Africa). D4DR Media owns or operates a portfolio of leading adventure sport portals which include Dropzone.com, Rockclimbing.com, BASEjumper.com and Divetime.com. These sites serve the skydiving, rock climbing, BASE jumping and scuba diving communities world-wide by providing platforms for sport participant and industry interaction.

Charl Liebenberg
info@d4drmedia.com
10 Lourensford Rd
Somerset West
South Africa

The moderators doing an excellent job, really??

moose_droppings

Aug 21, 2012, 3:55 PM
Post #8 of 28 (25628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Darn, I was hoping Bain Capital was taking over.

curt

Aug 21, 2012, 5:14 PM
Post #9 of 28 (25604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Darn, I was hoping Bain Capital was taking over.

Not enough jobs to offshore.

Curt

wonderwoman

Aug 21, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #10 of 28 (25595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

Considering I'm bleepin' poor these days, I could use the opportunity to take advantage of the pro-deal, too.

We don't get any.

wonderwoman

Aug 21, 2012, 6:15 PM
Post #11 of 28 (25587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
sangiro wrote:
Heya all,

Sangiro

Press Release:

About D4DR Media:

Charl Liebenberg
info@d4drmedia.com
10 Lourensford Rd
Somerset West
South Africa

The moderators doing an excellent job, really??

What do you have for the suggestion box?

Gmburns2000

Aug 21, 2012, 6:35 PM
Post #12 of 28 (25577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

We don't get any.

wow, that's a shitty deal. You used to.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 21, 2012, 7:51 PM
Post #13 of 28 (25549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

We don't get any.

Maybe that should be one of the things that will change!

It's interesting to see this, since the topic of "what happened to" on Supertopo just last week.

I wish the best for the site in the future. Many people have put effort into it over the years.

wonderwoman

Aug 21, 2012, 7:52 PM
Post #14 of 28 (25549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

We don't get any.

wow, that's a shitty deal. You used to.

I just do it for the glamour and to make you all get butthurtz.

wonderwoman

Aug 21, 2012, 7:54 PM
Post #15 of 28 (25546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
It's interesting to see this, since the topic of "what happened to" on Supertopo just last week.

Do you have a link to that? I'm curious.

AZwolf

Aug 21, 2012, 8:35 PM
Post #16 of 28 (25526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.supertopo.com/...-to-rockclimbing-com

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 21, 2012, 8:38 PM
Post #17 of 28 (25524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The link is here: http://www.supertopo.com/...-to-rockclimbing-com

I'd still love to help the site with social media(as I had mentioned in the Supertopo thread), but would no longer be interested in doing a barter, because I have actually started a new business in which I do this exact sort of thing. However - if RC owners are interested in having a discussion, fell free to shoot me a PM.

edited to have link show start of thread instead of intermediate point

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Aug 21, 2012, 8:39 PM)

notapplicable

Aug 22, 2012, 1:56 AM
Post #18 of 28 (25437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

Serving the community should be reward enough.

notapplicable

Aug 22, 2012, 2:13 AM
Post #19 of 28 (25432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sangiro wrote:
So what will happen next? Right now I don't have a long list of plans lined up to execute.

Exciting news indeed!! A return to this kind of leadership and vision is exactly what we have all been waiting for.

I'm glad to hear the folks at D4DR will be working hard to consistently improve the sites functionality and expand content. Oh, wait...

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Aug 22, 2012, 2:13 AM)

Gmburns2000

Aug 22, 2012, 2:33 AM
Post #20 of 28 (25421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

Serving the community should be reward enough.

Yes. Yes it should.

guangzhou

Aug 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #21 of 28 (25354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Let's start with actually moderating the general and beginners forum so people feel welcomed instead of having one of ten regular poster attacking on first post.

Another-words, don't allow bullying.

When you ban someone, ban them for good. Plenty of warning, get rid of them for not playing ball. (Rude and abusive users don't help your site.

Don't allow personal attacks, and ban repeat offenders.

Bring J_ung back to help the sites success.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #22 of 28 (25337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Meet the new boss...

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Aug 22, 2012, 11:16 AM)

wonderwoman

Aug 22, 2012, 3:22 PM
Post #23 of 28 (25304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Let's start with actually moderating the general and beginners forum so people feel welcomed instead of having one of ten regular poster attacking on first post.

Another-words, don't allow bullying.

I agree. I would also encourage you to use the 'report this post' button whenever you see this happening. This would help us out a lot.

guangzhou wrote:
When you ban someone, ban them for good. Plenty of warning, get rid of them for not playing ball. (Rude and abusive users don't help your site.

Don't allow personal attacks, and ban repeat offenders.

We have a lot of discussions before banning somebody. A perma-ban has happened to some users.

guangzhou wrote:
Bring J_ung back to help the sites success.

That would be awesome.

Thanks for your feedback. Believe it or not, it is helpful to us.

Partner macherry

Aug 22, 2012, 3:56 PM
Post #24 of 28 (25294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

We don't get any.

really! what about the 50,000 bucks a year we usd to get, is that gone too? i guess i'm glad i got out when i did!

wonderwoman

Aug 22, 2012, 4:01 PM
Post #25 of 28 (25290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] D4DR Media Acquires Rockclimbing.com, Dropzone.com and BASEjumper.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

We don't get any.

really! what about the 50,000 bucks a year we usd to get, is that gone too? i guess i'm glad i got out when i did!

Most people don't know this, but I do wear my official RC.com moderator tiara whenever I log on. I also bang a gavel whenever I hide or move a post.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook