Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Wichita Mountains
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

BananaHammock

Sep 2, 2012, 9:35 PM
Post #1 of 5 (5537 views)
Shortcut

Wichita Mountains  (North_America: United_States: Oklahoma)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing for years, but mostly in Utah. I plan on heading out to the Wichita's Saturday, September 15, assuming I can find someone who is willing to head down with my group that knows their way around. I just don't want to get down there with 5 or 6 people and not be able to find any good places to climb. I have gear for rappelling, and top roping, but no trad, and I no longer have leading gear, so the climbs we can do will be limited to top rope only (unless of course, someone with some gear wants to join us!). Anyone who wants to go, just give me a call at 918-304-4549. Any time from 4pm to 10pm I will answer. Even if you can't go, suggestions for top roping locations, and directions there, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(This post was edited by BananaHammock on Sep 3, 2012, 11:58 PM)

acorneau

Sep 2, 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #2 of 5 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BananaHammock] Wichita Mountains [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

BananaHammock wrote:
I have been climbing for years, but mostly in Utah. I plan on heading out to the Wichita's Saturday, September 8, assuming I can find someone who is willing to head down with my group that knows their way around. I just don't want to get down there with 5 or 6 people and not be able to find any good places to climb. I have gear for rappelling, and top roping, but no trad, and I no longer have leading gear, so the climbs we can do will be limited to top rope only (unless of course, someone with some gear wants to join us!). Anyone who wants to go, just give me a call at 918-304-4549. Any time from 4pm to 10pm I will answer. Even if you can't go, suggestions for top roping locations, and directions there, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

WMWR is a trad destination so you'll have to bring some gear just to set up most top rope anchors. Some long webbing and/or static rope would help.

Best bet is probably upper and lower Mt. Scott for ease of access and directions. Buy the guide book, it's not that expensive.

As for rappelling, this is one of the signs you'll see as you walk into the Narrows...

It's still going to be hot out there so bring lots of water. Good luck.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Sep 2, 2012, 10:44 PM)

BananaHammock

Sep 3, 2012, 1:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (5501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Wichita Mountains [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a few hundred feet of webbing I use for canyoneering, so I'm good there. A little unfortunate about the rappelling thing though.. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

climbingaggie03

Sep 3, 2012, 6:18 AM
Post #4 of 5 (5481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BananaHammock] Wichita Mountains [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'd probably head to zoo wall in the narrows, I think set ups without gear on upper mount scott would be tricky. Rapelling is ok, just not sport rapelling (whatever that is) my buddy and I always laughed at that sign cause we couldn't figure out what sport rappelling was, maybe it's rappelling with bolts? We prefer trad rappelling, or sometimes boulder rappelling if we don't have much time... I guess it's not that funny but it was our routine to joke about before we went and found some way to epic.

The moral of the story is I think you can get away with some rappelling if you don't do tons of it. I definitely rap in the narrows after cleaning anchors ect.

I definitely recommend the guidebook. I'd come show you around, but it's a hell of a drive from CO and my wife would kill me if I made her unpack all these boxes by herself.

acorneau

Sep 3, 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #5 of 5 (5473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Wichita Mountains [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rappelling as a means of getting down from a climb is ok. Tossing a rope off Leaning Tower just to rappel down is an example of "sport rappelling" and is forbidden in the Narrows, although not other parts of the Refuge.

I didn't recommend the Narrows because it's easy to get lost if you've never been there before, especially if you're approaching from the top to set up a top rope.

To the OP: you might post this in the Wichita climbing forum* to see if anyone will be out there this weekend. The forum is very quiet so you may not get any responses at all but at least it's another resource.

* http://wichitamountains.org/smf/index.php

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook