Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
working and climbing in NZ
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

reirameso

Sep 2, 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #1 of 10 (10219 views)
Shortcut

working and climbing in NZ  (Australasia: New_Zealand)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I will be in NZ for ten weeks this summer (early Dec to mid Feb), and am just looking for any suggestions or recommendations! I have three goals for my trip:

- make some money (at least to cover living costs)
- climb
- have a great time

Anyone else do anything like this? I am currently on exchange at the University of South Pacific in Fiji and have the summer break off before I have to go back to finish my study abroad program.

I climb back home in Canada (live in Van, climb in Squamish) and climb up to 5.11s indoors, 5.10s outdoors. I sportclimb, but (so far) don't trad.

I'm thinking about getting a van, possibly? Are climbing places hard to access or is it pretty easy to find other climbers at hostels?

Has anyone ever gotten any seasonal rock climbing jobs? (I don't mind belaying summer camp kids up crags if it means I get to live where there is climbing)

Thanks for your help!

sbaclimber

Sep 3, 2012, 8:46 AM
Post #2 of 10 (10184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reirameso] working and climbing in NZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

you should probably try posting up over on http://climber.co.nz/forum. It is the best place to get some local info.

Getting a van to get around NZ is a good idea, and many visitors do it. The climbing places (especially sport areas) are easy access if you have your own wheels.

Unfortunately, I can't give you much advice on making money, but you won't have any trouble finding places to climb and having fun! Cool

madam

Sep 4, 2012, 2:01 PM
Post #3 of 10 (10149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey reirameso,

I spent in NZ ten months in 2010/2011 of beautiful working/climbing/enjoying time.

- make some money: During the time you will be there is a "fruit high season" so there's a lot what to do to earn some cash. On the other hand there's gonna be more people looking for it.

- climb: South Island is probably better (most of the people say so and I agree:) Obviously do not miss Castle Hill bouldering paradise, I would also recommend Wye creek near Queenstown, beautiful climbing place in your grades. On the north island one of the biggest sport climbing places is definitely Wharepapa with apprx. 800 bolted routes. However there's plenty more, I still have on my PC (now I am at job) some pdfs with guides so in case you are interested, just let me know and I will send it.

- van: definitely a good choice. You will safe a lot of time, you will sleep cheap and you will get close to the rocks. There is plenty of climbs which are not far from the parking place (up to 1h).

Some of the places where I have been climbing are pictured here on my blog:
http://nzclimb.blogspot.cz/...-se-vyrovnat-se.html

and

here:http://nzclimb.blogspot.cz/...ew-kids-on-blog.html

In case you need some more information just let me know:)

adam

(This post was edited by madam on Oct 23, 2013, 12:54 PM)

reirameso

Sep 5, 2012, 3:44 AM
Post #4 of 10 (10117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madam] working and climbing in NZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome, thanks for the info sbaclimber and madam!

your pictures just make me even more exited for the next leg of my journey.. i can't wait!

i'd love to get my hands on those pdfs! i will pm you my email address.

Ned_Ludd

Sep 5, 2012, 3:58 AM
Post #5 of 10 (10112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Nz for more then 2 years, and when I left in feb 2012 the rules and regs around 'freedom camping' = van camping, were on the rise. Esp in wanaka/qtown. But dont be put off just be aware.

Also making money in NZ is tough, the pay is low. So dont expect to make or save much.

madam

Sep 5, 2012, 6:43 AM
Post #6 of 10 (10101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ned_Ludd] working and climbing in NZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, that is correct what Ned_Ludd says about the job. Its not for becoming rich, however for me it was enough to work for 5 months and to cover my expenses for another 5 months of climbing/travelling. And I was also climbing during those 5 months when already working, since my job was 1.5hrs drive from wharepapa:)

Freedom camping is forbidden for several years already. To be honest, still a loads of people does it, still loads of kiwis (nz citizens) tolerate it, however you should be more careful where sleeping with your can. I had just one incident during these 10 months. You should not stay on one place for too long, the best is if you find a place with a toilet or obey some basic rules when go shitting:) dig a shithole...

in case of more questions, just let me know reirameso...

adam

hobo_climber

Sep 5, 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #7 of 10 (10088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both sba and madam have pretty much answered your key questions, so I'll just throw in a few suggestions...

money.
I assume you will have at least a working holiday visa or something similar (piss easy for canadians to get) as this will allow you to reap the benefits of the fruit picking season that you'll be in. best places to go for this is top of the south island (nelson region) where there is awesome sport climbing to be had and Paynes Ford in takaka, or the Hawkes Bay in the North Island.
NZ doesn't really do the "summer camp" thing... in fact as far as I know, it doesn't exist, we tend to holiday actually with our children ;)
getting a rock climbing job would be REAL hard for only 10 weeks, Most outdoor related companies will require a much longer commitment (our summer is nov-march and most places I know will need you to be there for a month either side...)

Climbing.
You will soon discover that NZ is really really small, especially compared to Canada, there are very few places in NZ where you are more than a couple hours drive away from some form of climbing. A lot of our climbing is sport cragging and very easily accessed and partners are plentifull. Like sba said, post up on the nz climbers forum for partners... gear wise a harness, shoes, belay device and a handfull of quickdraws will suffice for a majority of the popular spots.

getting around.
Van/station wagon is a great idea, check out backpacker noticeboard when you arrive for the deals or http://www.trademe.co.nz.

Having a great time.
Fairly sure this will be the easiest of your goals to achive. We kiwis are a friendly bunch and most of us will jump at the chance to show off our fine nation and on that note, I'm based in blenheim at the top of the south island. if your travels bring you close to there drop me a pm either here or on the NZ climbing site (same user name) and i could be keen for a mission.

madam

Sep 5, 2012, 9:56 PM
Post #8 of 10 (10052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hobo_climber] working and climbing in NZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...just to add another useful link with "all" the NZ crags:

http://maps.google.com/...68fbdbd36aa0&z=6

(This post was edited by madam on Oct 23, 2013, 12:54 PM)

porthillsclimber

Sep 5, 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #9 of 10 (10045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The below site will give you a lot of the guides for the north island.
http://www.freeclimb.co.nz/

if you base your self in wanaka you should be able to pick up some vineyard or fruit picking work. It is also light until about 9.30/10 so you can usually get some climbing in after work.

reirameso

Sep 6, 2012, 8:45 AM
Post #10 of 10 (10015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [porthillsclimber] working and climbing in NZ [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for all your help, everyone!

@hobo_climber... might take you up on that offer! :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook