Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mojomonkey

Dec 6, 2013, 9:04 PM
Post #26 of 35 (8819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Climb511] Too fat to climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

FYI, Toofattoclimb hasn't logged back in in over a year and likely won't be updating us.

Hope he/she managed to find something to keep up the motivation to lose weight. Maybe they took WonderWoman's advice and changed to a new username.

peterdays

Dec 18, 2013, 11:05 PM
Post #27 of 35 (8734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Too fat to climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe he's too busy now trying those losing weight tips.

kiwiprincess

Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 PM
Post #28 of 35 (8685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toofattoclimb] Too fat to climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm Currently pregnant and am finding it hard to get motivated. I'm hot, My feet get achey, Im not sleeping comfortably( which i imagine mostly comes with being overweight also)

I have been walking into the local Climbing area with walking poles and watching my friends climb.

Although walking can be boring I find getting a friend to come and using it as a social outing too means I'm much more likely to do it.

I also like working out to Video's at home. Zumba, or something fun, Even Dancing

As far as worring about your weight at the Gym, i actually find it inspiring to see larger people changing their lives like that.

Assuming you can fit a harness I'd try climbing, regardless of your size. Everyone starts somewhere, and we all struggled at first.

Toofattoclimb

Dec 20, 2013, 10:32 PM
Post #29 of 35 (8640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Too fat to climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Smile I have been losing weight. 26 lbs so far. Slowly, but it is going.

I still am afraid to rock climb, but I did go to the gym a bit. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I have tried pulling myself up with ropes, bars, rings, etc but I cannot seem to even move an inch, so rock climbing may still be out of my league.

Btw, I am female.

dorienc

Dec 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #30 of 35 (8631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Good for you! Yay!! Seriously, that makes me very happy!

I joined weightwatchers and went from 220 to about 185 last year (I'm a 60 y.o. man, 15 years climbing). It's inched back up to 200, so I'm going to start again, and aiming for 175 this time.
My son used the weightwatchers plan with out actually joining, but carefully counting his points and went from 260 to 170 to join the Navy.
So, I believe in the weightwatchers plan. And the meetings are very very supportive!

You will find a lot of gyms have most climbs that are too hard for a beginner (no matter what their size). And pulling up with your arms isn't how we mostly climb, your feet drive you. So don't sweat that. I'm not a bad climber (ok, not a great one either) and I can only almost do 1 pullup

A good gym will have some pretty easy routes for beginners, with good feet and hand holds, on a slabby (less than vertical) wall. I taught climbing at the Rockford IL YMCA for over 10 years, and we had people of all ages and sizes, and made sure we always had a few routes for everyone.

So I encourage you to find a climbing partner who is patient and understanding and can show you some good routes to start on.

I found as I climbed more at the beginning, I could climb harder, which motivated me.
My wife, who is my age, just started to climb with me. She finds she is getting better all the time. Are either of us climbing anything "hard"? Nope. But as Alex Lowe answered the question of who is the best climber in the world, the "best climber is the one having the most fun." So sometimes I'm pretty sure I'm the best climber in the world. And you will be too!

Depending where you live, there may be some good outdoor climbing too. I live not too far from Devil's Lake State Park in Wisconsin, and have taken a lot of people there. I have several climbs that I know you could do, and that you would love. This is where a good climbing partner can help you too.

Is there a climbing club around? There will certainly be people in it who would love to introduce you to the sport.

Good for you! I love your determination and enthusiasm! Be patient, and have fun. Dieting isn't fun, but again, there's a place a support group can help.

Congratulations!!! Smile

(This post was edited by dorienc on Dec 20, 2013, 11:19 PM)

arthaslu

Apr 21, 2014, 9:18 PM
Post #31 of 35 (8204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In this universe, only vegetables can save you!!

jacques

Apr 22, 2014, 2:21 PM
Post #32 of 35 (8167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Toofattoclimb wrote:
Smile I have been losing weight. 26 lbs so far. Slowly, but it is going.

I still am afraid to rock climb, but I did go to the gym a bit. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I have tried pulling myself up with ropes, bars, rings, etc but I cannot seem to even move an inch, so rock climbing may still be out of my league.

Btw, I am female.

Rock climb is every things from a hike to an overhang. Slab are the easiest part and the first pitches of white horse are descent climb. At first take a guide and, if you can, a partner with the same challenge as you. Friction will need a lot of concentration, but, looking at the last three or four pitches, you will keep the motivation to go over the bulge. you will realize that you can do what look like impossible.

GorgeousClimb1

Oct 24, 2014, 10:58 PM
Post #33 of 35 (7292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rebeccab_v] Too fat to climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this is a relatively old post, but I just started climbing (indoor) last week. I am considered obese. I have always wanted to climb, and finally got the nerve to go to a belaying class to get started.
The crazy part is the one who taught the class started out climbing obese and is now very fit. He showed me his picture. Now if that didn't give me incentive! Anyways, they had equipment that fit me and noone seemed to gawk at me. It was a very positive atmosphere. I think I am gonna love it!

rebeccab_v

Oct 24, 2014, 11:35 PM
Post #34 of 35 (7273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GorgeousClimb1] Too fat to climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's great Gorgeous! I've had to stop climbing bc money is tight at the moment. I am still a beginner (I think I will be a beginner for a while!) Anyway, until my money issues are resolved, it will be hiking.

For the people who think the original poster will possibly not be updating... don't give up hope. I received this thread via email after a yr and decided to login myself!! Hope he is doing well.

climber511

Oct 25, 2014, 5:22 PM
Post #35 of 35 (7228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rebeccab_v] Too fat to climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I run a small Climbing Wall and we get quite a few overweight people coming in to try it out - usually while bringing their kids in. Climbing itself is good exercise but the motivation it can give is a bigger deal I think as to losing weight. Keep it up - and Good Luck!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook