RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

oldguy53

Oct 12, 2012, 1:34 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4435 views)
Shortcut

older climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Are you done trying to do more, climb harder, climb longer, pushing grades?? Still love the outdoors and the sport? Can't keep up with the gazelles or do one arm pull ups?? That's were I'm at. Looking for others who want another year or two.

trisgo

Oct 12, 2012, 8:34 PM
Post #2 of 11 (4424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldguy53] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post

I'm only 29 and that's where I'm at, lol. My idea of a perfect climbing day is leading 5.6 trad. ...have no interest in climbing 5.1,268,423 sport in the gym. There's nothing wrong with people pushing the bar, but climb what you enjoy climbing otherwise the whole thing is pointless. My climbing friends love to bust out the high V's on the bouldering wall, but I can't stand sit starts, only to climb 12 feet. I'd rather be doing 5.4 slab on the Flatirons in Boulder. Does the lack of intensity make someone not as dedicated to climbing or love the sport less than a hardcore hangboarder? Not at all. Luckily, climbing isn't confined to one style that qualifies them as a climber. It's a varied sport where if one style (or difficulty level) isn't your deal anymore, doesn't mean you have to sell your gear and take up stamp collecting, lol. Have you tried aid climbing before? I think aid is a style not many climbers try. I have friends that climb 5.12, but are too scared to try aid because they see it as being a lot more complicated and sketchy placements. I think it allows you to excel at the sport using more knowledge and experience rather than brute strength and endurance. Lol, you don't even wear climbing shoes. If you ever come through the Omaha area, drop me a line.

potreroed

Oct 12, 2012, 9:57 PM
Post #3 of 11 (4419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

You need to come down to the Potrero Chico. We have tons of moderate multi-pitch routes, that are well bolted, with super easy approaches!!

davidbr

Oct 13, 2012, 4:41 PM
Post #4 of 11 (4402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

oldguy53 wrote:
Are you done trying to do more, climb harder, climb longer, pushing grades?? Still love the outdoors and the sport? Can't keep up with the gazelles or do one arm pull ups?? That's were I'm at. Looking for others who want another year or two.

Bob, the truth is that you're still as strong as an ox, and at least as bright as one, but watching football with one too many downs, and presidential debates with one too many candidates, has made you prematurely senile and you're forgetting that you have at least two buddies who are equally content hang-dogging their way up 5.10 or hang-dogging their way up 5.5.

Just say when and I'll happily drive a thousand kilometres for a pitch with you.

PS - Sorry for the reckless use of metric. I think a thousand km works out to something like two million cubits.

oldguy53

Oct 15, 2012, 2:53 AM
Post #5 of 11 (4377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidbr] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post

When gazelles don't run free they become cattle.

davidbr

Oct 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #6 of 11 (4364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I can't speak for you, but I've always felt like I was a bit more on the 'cattle' end of the spectrum.

Billfromwis

Jan 10, 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #7 of 11 (4106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post

Hello, Im Bill, lots of experience over the years, and still in great shape, still wanting to climb and then climb again. Now retired, w lots of time and can travel. Want to go to Potrero Chico w me in a month or so, as one of those answering you suggested? Im already packed. I speak Spanish short of native ability. Get back. Bill

Billfromwis

Jan 10, 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hi, Im Bill, sounds like Im where you are at. Lots of experience here, and I can still lead 5.7 w confidence, 5.8 with care, and can follow 5.9. And Im always looking for a partner for the end-of-summer junket. We ought to form a club of us older climbers in order to network better. And right now, in the middle of winter, Im ready to travel. At end of Feb Id love to go to Potrero Chico for a few weeks of climbing. I speak Spanish very well, and have (near) family in Monterrey to get us at the airport. Get back if you, Mr. Unknown, are even remotely interested. Bill

oldguy53

Jan 11, 2013, 2:33 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Billfromwis] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post

HI ya Bill . I'm very interested. My profile is accurate along with email address. Near future not possible , but late spring things really open up.
Bob

oldguy53

Jan 11, 2013, 9:26 PM
Post #10 of 11 (4053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post

HI
thanks for the invitation, I may show up there this year.
And will certainly try to make contact with you folks before , during and after. bobo

Louern

Feb 16, 2013, 2:43 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hi. If you ever want to climb Devils Lake SP near Baraboo Wis give me a post. There is a life time of Souix quartzite there. I like to TR 5.4 to 5.7. Might be able to get back up to 8 or 9. I have managed to get on the rock a couple of times a year since the early nineties but never ate, breathed and sh@% the sport.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook