RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

SylviaSmile

Oct 16, 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #1 of 22 (7278 views)
Shortcut

Most Embarrassing Climbing Moment
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

What is your most embarrassing moment of a climbing trip/venture/day so far? It doesn't necessarily have to involve climbing, it could just be an embarrassing thing that happened (to you) at the crag, or an uncharacteristic noob/fear reaction, or just something that embarrassed you even if no one else noticed.

guangzhou

Oct 17, 2012, 2:37 AM
Post #2 of 22 (7204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Most Embarrassing Climbing Moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
What is your most embarrassing moment of a climbing trip/venture/day so far? It doesn't necessarily have to involve climbing, it could just be an embarrassing thing that happened (to you) at the crag, or an uncharacteristic noob/fear reaction, or just something that embarrassed you even if no one else noticed.

For me it's a toss-up.

Sep 26, 2004, 11:20 PM registering to rockclimbing.com

or

The fact that I keep signing in after all these years.

potreroed

Oct 17, 2012, 3:32 AM
Post #3 of 22 (7180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You're crazy if you think I'm going to reveal my most embarrassing moments on the internet.

robx

Oct 17, 2012, 2:26 PM
Post #4 of 22 (7066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

every time I leave something at the bottom of the climb I feel like an idiot.

lena_chita

Oct 17, 2012, 3:42 PM
Post #5 of 22 (7037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robx] Most Embarrassing Climbing Moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robx wrote:
every time I leave something at the bottom of the climb I feel like an idiot.

Yes.

the only one I would be willing to share is the story of one day, when my partner forgot draws on the ground before starting on a climb-- 4 times in one day! And I failed to notice, every single time.

madam

Oct 17, 2012, 4:41 PM
Post #6 of 22 (7007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing really embarrassing but a few times already happened I have forgotten to take down my chalk bag and was walking with it after climbing as well...eg. in a city:)

robx

Oct 17, 2012, 4:54 PM
Post #7 of 22 (6996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Most Embarrassing Climbing Moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely got to the top of a climb last week with no atc. I was moments away from doing my first munter belay when another couple reached their anchor a few feet from me with a spare belay device!
learned: double check, and practice belaying with a munter last night (with a backup belayer)

wonderwoman

Oct 17, 2012, 5:07 PM
Post #8 of 22 (6985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:

Why don't you go first?

acorneau

Oct 17, 2012, 8:29 PM
Post #9 of 22 (6899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robx wrote:
Definitely got to the top of a climb last week with no atc. I was moments away from doing my first munter belay when another couple reached their anchor a few feet from me with a spare belay device!
learned: double check, and practice belaying with a munter last night (with a backup belayer)

I use the Munter hitch all the time. Once you learn it you'll love it.

SylviaSmile

Oct 17, 2012, 8:50 PM
Post #10 of 22 (6888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Most Embarrassing Climbing Moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:

Why don't you go first?

I know I should, but it's really hard to narrow it down. EVERY time I go climbing I have another most embarrassing moment . . . I know, but really. Anyway, here's a good one: trying out my gym's auto-belay and getting two-thirds of the way up only to realize I don't trust the darn thing and am NOT letting go--so then panicked overgripping and downclimbing ensues and I eventually reach the bottom dripping with sweat. I don't know if anyone saw or noticed, but I sure felt embarrassed. Blush

RobAT

Oct 18, 2012, 2:00 AM
Post #11 of 22 (6814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sylvia,
here's one that embarrasses me to this day.
Winter, 2005-ish. It was one of the coldest, windiest February days of my climbing life. I had just led my way to the top of the ice flow to the left of Chouinard's Gulley. The "fire-hands" sensation was so bad I was nearly paralyzed. I wasn't sure what I would do first, throw up or crap myself? After a moment on my hands and knees, the pain subsided enough for me to realize, I knew what I would do first... I was going to doo-doo all over myself. I had no time to build an anchor so I yelled to my belayer...
"Paul, I'm sick and I have to take a shit!"
I heard my words echoing throughout Chapel Pond.
Paul said faintly from below, "Rob, say again?"
I couldn't believe it. I yelled into the wind again. This time louder "Paul...I'm sick and I have to take a shit!" My voice echoed again through the canyon.
I managed to get myself free from my layers of Gore-Tex and nylon just in the nick of time. My harness securely around my knees and the spin-drift swirling inside my bomb-bay door I defecated on top of the climb while my partner Paul belayed me. I had narrowly escaped a horrific walk across the pond and beyond.

Overheard at the crag...”Paul, I’m sick and I have to take a shit.”

(This post was edited by RobAT on Oct 18, 2012, 10:54 AM)

guangzhou

Oct 18, 2012, 2:38 AM
Post #12 of 22 (6796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robx wrote:

Until a couples ago, I carried an old school stitch plate permanently attached to my chalk bag. With the new chalk bags, the device fits in the pocket of the bag.

I've belayed and rapped on munter hitches, not my favorite method.

abrock5

Oct 18, 2012, 2:49 AM
Post #13 of 22 (6793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two from this weekend. First, after pulling the rope down from a route, it was twisted pretty bad. We decided to throw it over a ledge to work itself out. So I threw it...right into a tree literally 5 feet in front of me. The very next route I placed a stopper, clipped it, and somehow forgot to take it off of its biner. Two moves later I hear, "Did you just leave all your nuts behind?". Thankfully I was already at the top of an easy route. This weekend was not the pinnacle of my climbing career.

chopsticktown

Oct 18, 2012, 3:26 AM
Post #14 of 22 (6775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abrock5] Most Embarrassing Climbing Moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After lowering my climbing partner with a grigri off a TR climb, I realized that my belay biner was unlocked.Frown

I totally forgot to lock it and neither me or my climbing partner saw it.

Yes I was very embarrassed and felt incredibly stupid. I am still mad at myself for not realizing it. All that can be done is move on and make sure it doesn't happen again.

dagibbs

Oct 18, 2012, 3:04 PM
Post #15 of 22 (6691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most? Hard to say, but an embarrassing moment...

I was setting up a top-rope from the top of a small cliff, anchors over the edge, working with someone else's rope. It was dark blue, so middle mark (if any) hard to see, and in a piled mess. I grabbed what I thought was a bight from the middle of the rope, clipped the pair of lockers around it, then shouted "rope" and tossed the pile of rope off the cliff.

And then I watched all 60m of the rope fall to the ground.

njrox

Oct 18, 2012, 5:24 PM
Post #16 of 22 (6648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a couple of down-climbing panics before. Definitely feel stupid afterwards.

One time while breaking down an anchor I decided to toss the cordellete down to my partner (it was his cord, and he was in the process of packing up). I just balled the thing up and yelled out "CORD!" and threw it right into a tree branch where it got stuck. For the rest of the day my sister, who happened to tag along, would yell "CORD!" whenever it got quiet.

SylviaSmile

Oct 19, 2012, 5:55 AM
Post #17 of 22 (6529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just had another embarrassing moment--I JUST NOW got the pun in "social climber."

sanarteaga

Oct 19, 2012, 3:00 PM
Post #18 of 22 (6460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once, after climbing for 5+ years, I finished a sport route, attached to the anchor, unroped to rappel and clean AND LET THE ROPE FALL ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND!!! (i was in a rush and didnt want to tie the clove hitch... arrrggg)

Im so, so, so happy I did this in a sport crag around and some one on the route next to me was able to save my dumb ass. So embarrasing... yet a great lesson.

jackmarr

Oct 19, 2012, 3:05 PM
Post #19 of 22 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this is a funny thread! Never saw this particular one before.

I have many but one that comes to mind is quite recently. A group of friends of mixed gender, age, nationality, and level of acquaintedness were up at a new crag a few weeks ago, working several sport routes. Two still had draws hung on them, so I offered to clean one. I started a bit later, so ended up the last person climbing with everyone else basically waiting at the base of the route for me, watching casually. Unfortunately, the stitching in my beloved crag pants decided to give out around the crotch on that last line (which was a good mix of stems and high steps). With each new move, the crack would rip wider with what sounded to me like a deafening sound-- loud enough to almost drown out the laughter below. When I finally hit the chains, the resulting crack arced almost from knee to knee. This was followed by a long descent back to the road and of course I had no other pants. My final takeaway was that, alas, duct tape cannot fix EVERYTHING.

donald949

Oct 19, 2012, 4:09 PM
Post #20 of 22 (6439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
I just had another embarrassing moment--I JUST NOW got the pun in "social climber."
*Awkward*

donald949

Oct 19, 2012, 4:14 PM
Post #21 of 22 (6436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Most Embarrassing Climbing Moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doing an awkward double rap.
After the first rap, I get to the rap station and couldn't figure out where to clip in.
Um, right there at the power point Don.
Crazy
In my defense I will state it was right after we were getting back into climbing, and our first multipitch in years.

Gmburns2000

Oct 19, 2012, 6:50 PM
Post #22 of 22 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Most Embarrassing Climbing Moment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
*Awkward*

I still don't get it.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook