RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

guangzhou

Oct 19, 2012, 6:05 AM
Post #1 of 20 (12005 views)
Shortcut

4 year old leading 5.10
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You'll either be impressed by this 4 year old's climbing ability, or depressed by your.

http://vimeo.com/29066466

Urban_Cowboy

Oct 19, 2012, 9:16 AM
Post #2 of 20 (11982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
You'll either be impressed by this 4 year old's climbing ability, or depressed by your.

I've never seen a route setter put up a "5.10" with unlimited hands and feet? Kid is doing good leading though.

lena_chita

Oct 19, 2012, 2:30 PM
Post #3 of 20 (11920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've seen that one before, pretty cool.

Didn't Chris Lindner lead a 5.10 trad route at the age of 4?

robinsmv

Oct 19, 2012, 2:34 PM
Post #4 of 20 (11915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Urban_Cowboy] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Urban_Cowboy wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

I've never seen a route setter put up a "5.10" with unlimited hands and feet? Kid is doing good leading though.

From watching the video it didn't look like he had unlimited holds, he was only using the green ones.

Urban_Cowboy

Oct 20, 2012, 1:48 AM
Post #5 of 20 (11813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robinsmv] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

robinsmv wrote:
Urban_Cowboy wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

From watching the video it didn't look like he had unlimited holds, he was only using the green ones.
Red, green, yellow, black, blue holds were used. Like I said, the kid did a good job leading. I just don't buy the difficulty rating...sorry to hear about your colorblindness.

yanqui

Oct 20, 2012, 2:49 AM
Post #6 of 20 (11800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I've seen that one before, pretty cool.

Didn't Chris Lindner lead a 5.10 trad route at the age of 4?

I think Lindner did Robbinīs Crack at Woodson, which is a really boulder, but his Dad had him climb it placing gear. Is Robbin's crack 5.10? I guess, but when I did it (without crash pads and in PAs more than 30 years ago) it seemed easier and less scary than Classic Crack in Leavenworth which is rated 5.8.

When it comes to kids, I think the important thing is they have fun climbing and I would hope the push to do some big number comes from within. My daughter is 10 and hasn't lead 5.10 yet, although I have to say she really is starting to tear it up (she recently flashed a solid 5.10 slab on top rope). I suppose if I pushed her, I could get her on film redpointing a 5.whatever, but what's the point (unless itīs something she really wants to do for herself)?

PS: WTF is it with the one star rating, do you have some kind of stalker on the site?

guangzhou

Oct 23, 2012, 1:58 AM
Post #7 of 20 (11616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Urban_Cowboy wrote:
robinsmv wrote:
Urban_Cowboy wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

Red, green, yellow, black, blue holds were used. Like I said, the kid did a good job leading. I just don't buy the difficulty rating...sorry to hear about your colorblindness.

Looking at the angle of the draws, the length of the wall, I buy the grade.

Like I said in the original post:

You'll either be impressed by this 4 year old's climbing ability, or depressed by yours.

shockabuku

Oct 23, 2012, 4:57 AM
Post #8 of 20 (11586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Urban_Cowboy wrote:
robinsmv wrote:
Urban_Cowboy wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

Looking at the angle of the draws, the length of the wall, I buy the grade.

Like I said in the original post:

You'll either be impressed by this 4 year old's climbing ability, or depressed by yours.

I don't need to watch a 4 year old to help me be disappointed with my climbing but thanks for the offer.Unimpressed

scottek67

Oct 23, 2012, 6:41 AM
Post #9 of 20 (11561 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by scottek67 [In reply to]
Report this Post

DemolitionRed

Oct 23, 2012, 5:37 PM
Post #10 of 20 (11503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Amazing kid. Like others have said, I hope he continues to have lots of fun without too many expectations from his coach and parents.
thanks for sharing the link.

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 25, 2012, 7:43 PM
Post #11 of 20 (11349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who cares how difficult they would rate that climb for a normal sized adult. It is an entirely different problem for a 4 year old. He has great skills, an uncanny knowledge of leading for a PRE-SCHOOLER, and he seems to really enjoy climbing.

I don’t know many 4 year olds that would do anything but scream and ask to come down even on top rope with that route. He just kept plugging away and putting on a clinic on solid toddler climbing technique.

When I watched it I simply thought “Wow I hope this kid keeps climbing because he has seemingly mastered leading before he has even learned to read”. It goes without saying that this kid must be a natural at climbing because he hasn’t been standing on his own two feet long enough to be that good on practice alone.

Partner camhead

Oct 25, 2012, 8:53 PM
Post #12 of 20 (11329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yanqui wrote:
PS: WTF is it with the one star rating, do you have some kind of stalker on the site?

hahaha, yes. Yes, she has a stalker.

wwalt822

Oct 25, 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #13 of 20 (11315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone needs to teach little bro how to keep the rope in front of his legs before he splits the back of his head open.

guangzhou

Oct 26, 2012, 2:01 AM
Post #14 of 20 (11288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
Someone needs to teach little bro how to keep the rope in front of his legs before he splits the back of his head open.

You're joking right, the one time the rope did go behind his leg, he readjusted it almost instantly.

rockie

Nov 2, 2012, 4:39 AM
Post #15 of 20 (11090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! Very impressive, he climbs like that at age 4, imagine how much of a pro he will be by the time he's an adult.

Interesting he mentions he admires Sharma, I had already thought he'd be the next Sharma, or better still.

Shame on those knocking down a 4 yr old on here, it's about having fun and climbing like others have said, and evidently he's a natural and is already very good at it, so maybe it's jealousy making you have to post in that way, because maybe he does climb better than you currently do more accurately, I am wiling to bet that is the case.

(This post was edited by rockie on Nov 2, 2012, 4:45 AM)

ipoloton

Nov 4, 2012, 7:40 AM
Post #16 of 20 (10942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:

Shame on those knocking down a 4 yr old on here, it's about having fun and climbing like others have said, and evidently he's a natural and is already very good at it, so maybe it's jealousy making you have to post in that way, because maybe he does climb better than you currently do more accurately, I am wiling to bet that is the case.

I am not sure if people are trying to knock this kid down here. What he is doing is very impressive. But talking about climbing, you should know it better that grading is very subjective. I'm sure you were there saying this 5.xx is easier than than 5.xx.

Maybe you wanna consider the fact that a 4 year old kid has way smaller fingers than an adult, and that gives him an advantage in holding up to smaller holes. Actually this is not the end of the story. There are factors playing in a kid's favor or against his will in climbing. But as a sum, a kid has a better chance here.

Again, there is no doubt that this kid got talent. Let me tell you something: "this kid is gonna be the best kid in the world. This kid is gonna be better than anybody I ever knew". But this shouldn't make us not to think straight.

Cheers

guangzhou

Nov 4, 2012, 9:08 AM
Post #17 of 20 (10937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ipoloton] 4 year old leading 5.10 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're going to use small hands and fingers as an excuse for him being able to hold crimps and small holds, then you need to consider that big hold become open handed holds and sloppers for him.

Yes, grades are subjective, but just because a climber outweighs another we don't change the grade. Climbers height play a factor, but we don't change the grades for that either.

What I hear is a bunch of excuses on why this 4 years can do something well.

As it occurred to you that maybe he is very motivated to climb, has good climbing mentors, and pushes himself to excel when he goes to the gym.

Gmburns2000

Nov 4, 2012, 1:16 PM
Post #18 of 20 (10911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about the kid clipping at waist height several times eh? I'm usually crapping my pants if I'm that high above the bolt! Laugh

yanqui

Nov 4, 2012, 1:18 PM
Post #19 of 20 (10909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
If you're going to use small hands and fingers as an excuse for him being able to hold crimps and small holds, then you need to consider that big hold become open handed holds and sloppers for him.

Yes, grades are subjective, but just because a climber outweighs another we don't change the grade. Climbers height play a factor, but we don't change the grades for that either.

What I hear is a bunch of excuses on why this 4 years can do something well.

As it occurred to you that maybe he is very motivated to climb, has good climbing mentors, and pushes himself to excel when he goes to the gym.

Who knows, maybe the kid is an honest-to-goodness prodigy like Ashima: http://www.nytimes.com/...ewanted=all&_r=0. The really amazing thing in her case, is that her parents didn't even know there was such a thing as climbing as a sport. Yet she was hooked from the start. Born to climb, I guess.

bearbreeder

Nov 4, 2012, 1:36 PM
Post #20 of 20 (10899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i always view someone climbing better than you as a chance to learn something new ...

if a kid is short and is making big moves ... take note of how they are able to do so ... because if you climb enough youll run into moves that will feel just as big and reachy ... and what you learn from that kid can help you ...

some people whoever simply put down people who climb better than em Wink

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook