RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

rita

Nov 5, 2002, 8:40 PM
Post #1 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have just turned 48. Started climbing last year with my two sons. Trouble is that everytime there's an opportunity to climb I am the oldest person among the group and I feel spare - let's face facts here. I REALLY want to pursue this sport. Am quite agile, weigh 47 kg am 5'5" tall and feel I have a knack for it. I don't see many women around the climbing areas here in South Africa, except for teenagers and students. Will someone out there plse encourage me. (plus, oops, I'm terrified of snakes - me only drawback and we have some of the baddies in this country). Should I call it a day and regret it forever or how do I get over this inferiority complex. I climb better than some of these young chics. Woe is me right now. Hellup! Am NOT scared of heights or anything else but SNAKES!!!!

climbinggirl33

Nov 5, 2002, 8:53 PM
Post #2 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbers are a blast irrespective of age - if you enjoy it then CLIMB ON!!!

Half the time I feel like the "denmother" of my climbing group (I guess it helps that I am always trying to feed everyone). . . realized that one of the guys I climb with was 4 (yes FOUR) years old when I took college physics . . . but you know - climbing is still a blast and no number is going to keep me from enjoying it.

Just get out there - everything else will follow.

clymber

Nov 5, 2002, 8:54 PM
Post #3 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well if you climb better then some of the younger chicks you have nothing to worry about...even if you didnt climb better then them you have nothing to worry about. I have one question for you. Are you out there for the other ppl to say hey look at her or are you out there for yourself. My guess is you are out therefor yourself so ta hell with whatthe other ppl think about you and age. As for the snake part the only help i can give you is make sure that big ledge doesnt have one on it and look around good before you squat to go the bathroom. That would be a difficult one to explain. Sure the ppl in the hospital would have a good laugh though

lox

Nov 5, 2002, 9:39 PM
Post #4 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a bankie of Durban Poison to the crag with you each time you go.

You will never be short of good partners.

The boldering in Rocklands, SA is some of the best in the world... if you wanna get stronger quicker, take your bankie out there...

bighigaz

Nov 5, 2002, 9:46 PM
Post #5 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rita, CLIMB ON, and don't stop! One of my best climbing buddies is old enough to be my dad, and I'm 26... Age doesn't matter!

But watch out for those nasty snakes!
You should watch the Crocodile Hunter (Steve Irwin) to conquer that fear!

James.

bwnco

Nov 5, 2002, 9:48 PM
Post #6 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who gives a rats ass if your 70 and starting to climb. Takes courage to start a new sport when your, your age.
I stared when I was 42, after 23 busted bones and 2 major knee surgery's. Lets see some body else do that is what I figure. Dont worry what the hell others think. Be proud you got the Ovaries to try something new and screw everyone else. If they laugh it just shows there true character, total ignorance and stupidity.......go climb and screw everyone else!! p.s. I have found that 99% of the climbing crowd are great about seeing someone join there sport of are age. There a good group!! BW

[ This Message was edited by: bwnco on 2002-11-05 14:04 ]

kriso9tails

Nov 5, 2002, 10:13 PM
Post #7 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My mother climbs (not as well as I do of course =P) and she's in her late forties. She does trad, sport, bouldering, ice, and climbs with people of all ages (actually it seems to be mostly with people younger than herself). There are people of all ages climbing, but some people from each age group have hang ups so be prepared to encounter some agism (I find it mostly in climbers in their fifties... but climbers in their fifties probably find it most in people in their teens and twenties... so who am I to say). In general though, it doesn't matter, at least not where I've climbed.

sagarmatha

Nov 5, 2002, 10:24 PM
Post #8 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found that the best way to enjoy climbing is to do it without worrying about age/ability/other perceived barriers, and while you do so, it is better mentally if you don't compare yourself to other climbers (eg. I am better that she, he's better than me). A very large number of people get into climbing at a later stage in life, and unlike in other disciplines, age within climbing circles is often valued and respected. Focus on yourself, use yourself as a benchmark for improvement, and most of all, don't allow anything or anyone to detract from the joy of simply climbing a cliff. You are in charge of you climbing. As far as snakes are concerned, most of us don't like them (I live in Australia, talk about deadly snakes!!). But if you stick to established routes that are regularly used, snakes are likely to move away, or you'd get beta on them anyway. Bottom line: if you've got the climbing bug, nothing will stop you.
Good luck!

Partner philbox

Nov 5, 2002, 10:50 PM
Post #9 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hiya Rita, I`m 46 and can crank nearly as hard as most. I am able to relate very well with the young people who I climb with. The generation gap simply doesn`t apply when it comes to ability and having a go.

Snakes, yeah what Sagamartha said. If you are concerned about snakes when on a climb then you should be placing snake pro. Snake pro is the gear that you place that protects you in the event that you are surprised by a snake and you involuntarily launch yourself backwards away from the cliff. Ordinarily you would place this pro on easy terrain where you would otherwise run it out.

Definitely place snake pro before a mantle ledge in case one of your nemesis serpents is basking in the sun on said ledge. Make sure you place plenty of pro in the crack that you would be climbing in case you happen to grab something slithery and scaley.

Don`t allow your revulsion for snakes to overwhelm your sense of adventure though. Get on up there girl, the other climbers no matter what their age will respect you for what you can do rather than how old you are. I am constantly climbing with people half my age, it really doesn`t matter. I simply don`t buy into the generation gap argument.

...Phil...

boulderingmadman

Nov 6, 2002, 12:00 AM
Post #10 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just a few words, rita. first of all, forget about when you started. no one who doesnt know you is gonna know how long you been climbing. once you get past that...think:John Bachar, Peter Croft, Lynn Hill, Jim Bridwell, Yvon Chounaird, Pete Tekeda, John Gill, and the list goes on. besides being among the strongest and most well-rounded climbers to EVER exist on the planet, they all have one more thing in common...theyre all over 40(and then some for a few )

anyone out there who has enough respect to ask how long you've been climbing, or make any other comments respectably, wont give a s--- how old you are or how long youve been climbing.

just get out there...

ps--im 29 and only been at it for 3 years...everyone i climb with on a regular basis is younger than me by at least 3 years...

[edited for accuracy: Lynn Hill may not yet be over 40]

[ This Message was edited by: boulderingmadman on 2002-11-05 16:02 ]

iridesantacruz

Nov 6, 2002, 1:17 AM
Post #11 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

like everyone sayes, age dosent matter. My partner is in college,and im only 14. Soon enough ill be climbing with people that could be my mother, or father. Age dosent really bother me at all, as long as im on rock..

CLIMB ON!
chris

ajkclay

Nov 6, 2002, 1:35 AM
Post #12 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is NO WAY you should give up something you love because everyone else seems older. At the climbing gym where I train, there is a guy in his mid-50's, and he is one of the most respected climbers in our climbing community. He is an awesome climber, and there is not one person who would question his right to be there.
The same goes for you. If you enjoy climbing, DO IT! In this sport there is not the same age thing as there are in some other sports, no-one will be looking at you thinking 'what's she doing here?' It doesn't go like that. I suggest that maybe you are feeling a little self-conscious, perhaps due to the way you have been treated in other areas. (Of course I've never met you so I may also be waaaay off the mark).
Go out, have fun, climb for the enjoyment, and SCREW anyone that makes you feel unwelcome. (If any do)

Does this help or am I off the mark?

Re snakes, I don't like 'em either, we've got the top 10 baddies here in OZ (I think), but they are rarely found half-way up a cliff face- (lack of leg and arm strength) they're not likely to bother, you don't often hear of climbers dying from snale-bite, the deck is usually more fatal.

edit: damn sticky keyboard- spelling

[ This Message was edited by: ajkclay on 2002-11-05 17:40 ]

charley

Nov 6, 2002, 2:05 AM
Post #13 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

age [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Age doesn't mean a thing.

climbsomething

Nov 6, 2002, 2:28 AM
Post #14 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't fret... climb on, climb often! Try to be an inspiration to all the girls out there. I know I'd like to be cranking when I am 48. And harder than I am now!

If my mom (who is also 48) were out there climbing with me, I think I'd be pretty stoked

crazeeclimber

Nov 6, 2002, 3:17 AM
Post #15 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Rita... I'm only 17, but i can say you should go for it. If you love climbing and think that it will be a regret if you stop... then why stop? Climb on it's the best sport and if i ever see a climber older that me (e.g. 30+) i go and talk to them (especially at comps) and i ask how long they have been climbing for and if they enjoy it and i think it's GREAT that the older people get into such a fantastic sport! and quite a few are getting right into it and they haven't been climbing for that long either. you should keep climbing and it's great that you love climbing so much... good luck and climb hard!
*Lydia*
P.S. there's lots of women that age that climb in Australia!

djmicro

Nov 6, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #16 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You obviously get some climbers that are to stuck-up to help you (I know of quite a few in MCSA, but that is mostly due to my age). You can try contacting MCSA (www.mcsa.org.za) and they will definately help you.

Never give up climbing!!!

socaliforniaclimber

Nov 6, 2002, 12:09 PM
Post #17 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember one time I was climbing in Joshua Tree, ca and there were these three guys that must ahve been in their 70's-80's. They were doing 5.10 and up and said they had been climbing their whole life. That would make 40's a baby. Forget your age and just enjoy climbing.

buzyrock

Nov 6, 2002, 1:51 PM
Post #18 of 25 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wohhhhhhh Rita, I admire ur courage and tenacity...lotta people thinks that life ends at 50. Untrue. Just climb on and have fun, coz u have absolute right to do so

Syd

Oct 25, 2012, 8:10 PM
Post #19 of 25 (8452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rita] Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing at your age, 48, 16 years ago. Hopefully I'll be climbing in another 16 years with my son, who is now 2.

marc801

Oct 25, 2012, 9:00 PM
Post #20 of 25 (8428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
I started climbing at your age, 48, 16 years ago. Hopefully I'll be climbing in another 16 years with my son, who is now 2.
The current active thread "older climbers" is probably more interesting than this 10 year old thread.

Edit to fix thread name

(This post was edited by marc801 on Oct 25, 2012, 9:01 PM)

mojomonkey

Oct 25, 2012, 9:29 PM
Post #21 of 25 (8411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Syd wrote:
The current active thread "older climbers" is probably more interesting than this 10 year old thread.

Edit to fix thread name

Give him a break - at his age people post a little slower.

Wade308

Oct 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #22 of 25 (8404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Damn, you had a kid at age 62?!
Shocked

Syd

Oct 27, 2012, 3:23 AM
Post #23 of 25 (8320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wade308] Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wade308 wrote:
Shocked

My wife is 32 years younger than me ... which keeps things happening for me Smile She is a gorgeous and devoted woman. Best of all she's a keen climber. I took her climbing on our first date 8 years ago. She still worries about me running off with a younger woman Wink

Very funny Mojo.

guangzhou

Oct 27, 2012, 3:49 AM
Post #24 of 25 (8310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
Wade308 wrote:
Shocked

My wife is 32 years younger than me ... which keeps things happening for me Smile She is a gorgeous and devoted woman. Best of all she's a keen climber. I took her climbing on our first date 8 years ago. She still worries about me running off with a younger woman Wink

Very funny Mojo.

Wow, she's half your age. My my is significantly younger too and my main climbing partner. She know no otehr woman would have me, so she's not worried about losing me.

I, on the other hand, .......... work hard to keep her happy.

Syd

Oct 27, 2012, 4:01 AM
Post #25 of 25 (8304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Age?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I, on the other hand, .......... work hard to keep her happy.

Don't worry, I work hard too. I wouldn't want to lose her. I'd never dream of being unfaithful.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook