Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 24, 2013, 5:00 PM
Post #101 of 105 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rolfr] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Me and the family will be on the Left Hand wall of Hairpin on either the 7th or more likely the 8th. Feel free to wave as you go past to harder climb, and have fun.

matterunomama

Jan 29, 2013, 12:02 AM
Post #102 of 105 (1476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

troutboy wrote:
njrox wrote:
Dip wrote:
curt wrote:
njrox wrote:
That's awesome! I climbed with a guy in his 50s a couple of times. Cool dude with awesome stories and he was in tremendous shape...

Really? That old eh? Did he park his walker at the base of the crag or just clip it to his swami? Cool

Curt

Seriously. Did you have to check him out of the old folks home or was he given permission to leave on his own?

No, I picked him up from his house. But our start was delayed because he lost his bifocals and had trouble putting his dentures in.

Well played! Now nwhere are my reading glasses....?

Seriously, my low vision is the biggest impediment. If I can't even see my plate to eat, seeing the cam in the crack is a problem. That, and the young ones looking at my hands and saying "wow....is that arthritis?"

Partner oldsalt

Feb 4, 2013, 4:56 PM
Post #103 of 105 (1421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

About 7 years ago, after climbing outdoors for about 3 years with large-lens glasses, I got contacts. I had always sworn that I would never put anything in my eyes, but climbing was just not as much fun while struggling with spectacles.

I love my contacts, and they have made a real difference in my climbing. Old age is a b______, but I do consider the alternative.

matterunomama

Feb 4, 2013, 8:37 PM
Post #104 of 105 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:
About 7 years ago, after climbing outdoors for about 3 years with large-lens glasses, I got contacts. I had always sworn that I would never put anything in my eyes, but climbing was just not as much fun while struggling with spectacles.

I love my contacts, and they have made a real difference in my climbing. Old age is a b______, but I do consider the alternative.

I have contacts, which are hard ones I have had for 40 years. The hard lens gives me correction I can't get from soft contacts. The downside is a piece of grit/chalk etc hurts like a sumabitch. Unfortunately, I also am old and have presbyopia, so I wear reading glasses with my contacts! I can't wear bifocal contacts. Quite a conundrum.
My glasses work pretty well, correctly at all distances with the variable lenses, but they annoy me sliding around..I think what I should do is get some nice heavy nerd glasses and a retention cord. My lenses cannot be put into "sport frames".

Remember the kid with the thick glasses, picked last for sports? Not uncoordinated but comically clueless in ball sports? That was me. But you can copy my math homework.

Syd

Feb 5, 2013, 12:07 AM
Post #105 of 105 (1378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] older climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Outdoors I use an old prescription that gives best vision at a few yards. Indoors I use multifocals. They both work well. -3.5 isn't so bad though.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook