RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Wade308

Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 AM
Post #1 of 8 (4064 views)
Shortcut

Scrambling rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have some non-climbing buddies I want to do some 3rd and 4th class scrambling with this summer.

I'd like to bring a rope along just in case it gets a little hairy and maybe do some short rappels. All I have is a right now is a brand new 60M that I really don't want to lug around or chop up.

Is there anywhere that might have a nice short rope available for this kind of thing?

shotwell

Feb 12, 2013, 2:48 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wade308] Scrambling rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wade308 wrote:
I have some non-climbing buddies I want to do some 3rd and 4th class scrambling with this summer.

I'd like to bring a rope along just in case it gets a little hairy and maybe do some short rappels. All I have is a right now is a brand new 60M that I really don't want to lug around or chop up.

Is there anywhere that might have a nice short rope available for this kind of thing?

Gearexpress sells rope shorts.

dan2see

Feb 12, 2013, 5:15 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My advice: Give your friends the best you have.
Let them share the great safety gear you have, and the great safety techniques you'll show them.

What are your belay anchors? Trees and boulders are OK if you have plenty of sling material. And don't forget, when each person reaches your belay, they'll want to tie in to it somehow, to be safe up there.

With a rope, each will all need a sit-harness to tie into. No belay devices, but biners might be handy.

The first time I climbed a grade-4 "cliff", I was given good top-rope stuff to keep me safe. One of our ropes that day looked pretty tatty, although not damaged. None of us would volunteer to use it.

So do you friends a favor, and show how you take their safety seriously.

sbaclimber

Feb 12, 2013, 8:30 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Scrambling rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
My advice: Give your friends the best you have.
Let them share the great safety gear you have, and the great safety techniques you'll show them.

What are your belay anchors? Trees and boulders are OK if you have plenty of sling material. And don't forget, when each person reaches your belay, they'll want to tie in to it somehow, to be safe up there.

With a rope, each will all need a sit-harness to tie into. No belay devices, but biners might be handy.

The first time I climbed a grade-4 "cliff", I was given good top-rope stuff to keep me safe. One of our ropes that day looked pretty tatty, although not damaged. None of us would volunteer to use it.

So do you friends a favor, and show how you take their safety seriously.
I know you aren't implying that a short rope is automatically crappy one, but it kind of sounds like it.
I doubt the OP is trying to avoid lugging his 60M around just for the sake of being cheap, but rather because it is overkill for the purpose, not to mention heavier and more of a bummer if it does end up getting trashed.
The reference to sit-harnesses is good though. Not only for tying in, but also for the potential rappelling the OP mentioned.
(n00bs + dülfersitz is not a recipe for funTongue)

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 12, 2013, 8:31 AM)

dan2see

Feb 12, 2013, 3:16 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Scrambling rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Beal Rando, and I use it occasionally.

It's a 7.8 mm "twin" which means a single strand can't protect a leader fall, but in fact it's perfect for top-rope, or belaying from above.

Mine is 20 meters long, which is kinda short for rapell, so I recommend the 30 meter.

It weighs only two pounds. The price is 1/3 of a full rope.

Wade308

Feb 12, 2013, 3:52 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Scrambling rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice.
I do have extra harnesses to bring, etc.

Some of these scrambles are upwards of 20 mile round trip hikes, so weight is going to be a huge factor.

JimTitt

Feb 12, 2013, 4:48 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just about every manufacturer has one in their catalogue, usually as a "confidence rope". 8mm x 30m is pretty well the standard. Or you find a trad climber with a trashed half rope and use 30m of that.

Wade308

Feb 12, 2013, 10:59 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Scrambling rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Roger that.
Thanks all!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook