RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

konakissa

Nov 3, 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4209 views)
Shortcut

Similan Islands - Thailand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been doing some research about bouldering in thailand as ill be in Railey for a while. The Similan Islands are eight islands covered with insane granite boulders. I am after any information, has anyone been there or know anything about bouldering there?
I will be visiting there for sure in Dec/Jan/Feb to see how it climbs. check google images to see its potential.

paclimber12

Nov 4, 2007, 1:55 AM
Post #2 of 6 (4177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [konakissa] Similan Islands - Thailand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That place looks pretty amazing. Looks a lot like Virgin Gorda. Make sure you take some pics

texasclimber

Nov 5, 2007, 6:59 PM
Post #3 of 6 (4141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

konakissa wrote:
I have been doing some research about bouldering in thailand as ill be in Railey for a while. The Similan Islands are eight islands covered with insane granite boulders. I am after any information, has anyone been there or know anything about bouldering there?
I will be visiting there for sure in Dec/Jan/Feb to see how it climbs. check google images to see its potential.

I was in Railey a couple years ago and had a great time for 6 weeks. I think about that place at least once a week. Anyway, we never made it to the islands, but we climbed up North in Chang Mai. It was great, but Railey has SOOOO much climbing that I would not waste time traveling to the islands unless you want to see more than just granite boulders. Railey has several lifetimes worth of climbs in the ultimate setting. BTW, I would train for serious overhangs! Ton Sai has climbs that resemble bouldering...i.e., the climbs can be more horizontal than vertical. Have fun!

(This post was edited by texasclimber on Nov 19, 2007, 5:30 PM)

eddie_munster

Nov 6, 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #4 of 6 (4129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Koh Tao has a lot of granite bouldering. It is the bouldering epicenter of thailand.

skypenguin

Feb 21, 2013, 4:05 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just in the Similan Islands on a dive trip. There is an amazing rock with a bolted route (rebolted) on the amazing Sail Rock on Ko Similan in the national park. Here's a photo. The climb is up the backside and is set in a stunning location even for Thailand.[http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g303909-d556510-w43-Similan_Islands_National_Park-Similan_Islands_Phang_Nga_Province.html#20639652]

flesh

Mar 4, 2013, 1:27 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skypenguin] Similan Islands - Thailand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just noticed this is a old thread but in case anyone searches this.... don't waste your time in koh tao.... its supposed to be great bouldering..... it doesn't don't go. I boulder 90% of my climbing and I'd prefer route climbing in tonsai.

There are maybe a half dozen nice lines.... don't do it!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook