RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

flesh

Apr 26, 2013, 5:29 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Weird new injury.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I thought I had had them all. At least the fingers are holding up.

I had my wrist in a weird position climbing and ofc heard a pop. It's hurting a bit at the bottom right side of my palm on my right hand. I'm getting some warm and tingley sensations while I type this right now.

It doesn't seem to hurt any worse when I hang of a hold. Just wondering if there's anything I should be doing or considering since this is a new one for me.

soyshadymilkman

Apr 26, 2013, 8:14 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Weird new injury. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Could be a WHOLE lot of things - but the "warm and tingling" feeling sounds like nerve injury to some degree, and your ulnar nerve does run superficial at the "lower outside corner of your palm" (assuming you are meaning away from/opposite side of your thumb).

How much you should be concerned depends largely on how far and intensely the "tingling" extends. If you still have sensation in the pinkie and ring fingers then I wouldn't worry too much. Nervous tissue regenerates about 2mm a day which means depending on how much you injured it'll be a slow process to have sensation return to normal but expect 1-2 weeks before noticing much improvement.

As always, this is an online Dx from a super scant description with no medical history or description of what might have caused this SO if you are really concerned go to a PT or orthopedist and get it checked out.

Keep in mind your TFCC is in that same area and can definitely be involved and that's a longer and more serious Dx usually.

onceahardman

Apr 26, 2013, 9:53 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soyshadymilkman] Weird new injury. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand your thinking, but when I hear, "bottom right side of my palm", I'm thinking thenar eminence/median n.

Just goes to show the difficulty of trying to assess problems in this format.

Flesh, please try to "flesh out" your description a little. Are you looking at your palm when you say, "bottom right?" Like the base of your right thumb?

flesh

Apr 26, 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Weird new injury. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On my right hand, at the bottom of my palm, on the side further from my thumb, where the palm meets the wrist. It's most sensitive there but the numbness/tingling/warm and fuzzy feeling extends maybe an inch up and down from there (in the direction of my forearm and towards my fingertips) is where it's more acute. It's not on the side of my palm/wrist it is about 3/4 of an inch from the side of my palm going inwards on the bottom of my palm where it meets the wrist.

The same feeling but to a much lesser degree continues to my fingertips and maybe 6 inches up my forearm.

It happened 48 hours ago and it is worse today than it was yesterday.

Usually when I've seen doctors for connective tissue injuries in the past (elbow tendonitis/osis whatever, 10 pulley injuries, lateral collateral on both knees, medial epicondilytis) they simply say that I should stop climbing until it goes away. So I stopped seeing one.

I've never had the tingling thing before though, just pain with the previous injuries so I thought I should look into it. My GF is a RN and she said to go to the insta-care right by my office here.

I was connective tissue injury free for 3 years before this! While climbing harder than ever.... I thought I finally had it beat, lol! I wasn't even doing a hard move just had my wrist in a unusual position.

(This post was edited by flesh on Apr 26, 2013, 10:27 PM)

flesh

Apr 26, 2013, 10:21 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it okay to climb? Maybe dead hang? Should I wait and see if it dissipates for a few days first?

onceahardman

Apr 27, 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, since it is still worsening, it would probably be unwise to climb or dead hang. Why subject a likely nerve injury to a traction force?

Rest a few days, then start some resisted wrist flexion, extension, pronation/supination.

marc801

Apr 27, 2013, 9:05 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
It happened 48 hours ago and it is worse today than it was yesterday.

Usually when I've seen doctors for connective tissue injuries in the past (elbow tendonitis/osis whatever, 10 pulley injuries, lateral collateral on both knees, medial epicondilytis) they simply say that I should stop climbing until it goes away. So I stopped seeing one.
Yeah. That seems wise. Make sure you use the same reasoning should you ever need to see a cardiologist or oncologist.

flesh

Apr 30, 2013, 5:56 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Weird new injury. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys, it turned out to feel better the next day since I last posted. The day after that i did some dead hangs and it felt fine so I campused.... no problems... it's progressively better since.... tommorrow will be first day back climbing. It's barely noticeable at this point.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook