Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Reason why not to use belay loop to hook in... and why a 8 or bowline for certain situations cleared up?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

grandkodiak

Aug 31, 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #1 of 9 (5194 views)
Shortcut

Reason why not to use belay loop to hook in... and why a 8 or bowline for certain situations cleared up?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've always been curious as to why the belay loop on a harness is not used to tie in when climbing... is there a main reason for this? I have a few ideas on why it might be a not as good choice, and I have a few ideas on why it might be a better choice. I won't ever use it as the tie in point, but I've always been curious as to what made it near defacto as a belay loop only, and not as just "the loop" if you know what I mean.

Second, I often see that top rope books usually all recommend a figure 8 follow through as the tie in knot for belay climber action, but the bowlin as the sport/lead climber knot... and this recommendation given without explination in the same books sometimes without explination. Now, most sources Ive seen list a figure 8 as only reducing rope rate by 20%, while bowlins drop it nearly 40%. that alone would make me think that the 8 would be used reguardless of which style of climbing one would be performing... again, without explination of course.

thanks all!

vinnie83

Aug 31, 2013, 10:22 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grandkodiak] Reason why not to use belay loop to hook in... and why a 8 or bowline for certain situations cleared up? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you look closely at most harnesses the tie in portions are covered with additional webbing that isn't load bearing in order to make it abrasion resistant so that it can withstand the wear the comes from threading and unthreading the rope over and over. The belay loop is not designed to withstand the constant nylon on nylon wear, but is instead designed to create a more ideal loading for the belay/rappel biner.

Figure eight is recommended (and in many gyms the only allowed knot) primarily because it is easy to tie and visually inspect. The bowline is preferred by a lot of people who climb hard and take a lot of falls b/c it is much easier to untie. It would be pretty difficult to create a real world situation where you could break a rope even with the reduced strength of the bowline.

Danxz

Sep 1, 2013, 9:29 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grandkodiak] Reason why not to use belay loop to hook in... and why a 8 or bowline for certain situations cleared up? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

What is the reason you say "reason why" ? All reasons are why.

patto

Sep 2, 2013, 12:18 AM
Post #4 of 9 (4967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Danxz] Reason why not to use belay loop to hook in... and why a 8 or bowline for certain situations cleared up? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Danxz wrote:

Incorrect.

"Reason(s)" can also be a verb.

Danxz

Sep 2, 2013, 4:33 AM
Post #5 of 9 (4924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Reason why not to use belay loop to hook in... and why a 8 or bowline for certain situations cleared up? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Ignorant peasant ! "Why" is redundant in "reason why".

grandkodiak

Sep 4, 2013, 5:57 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Danxz] Reason why not to use belay loop to hook in... and why a 8 or bowline for certain situations cleared up? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Which definition of "reason" was I using?

Danxz

Sep 4, 2013, 9:43 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Surely there's an even bigger idiot out there who claims "the reason why is because" they love triple redundancy ?

onceahardman

Sep 4, 2013, 10:09 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Danxz wrote:
Surely there's an even bigger idiot out there who claims "the reason why is because" they love triple redundancy ?

Brevity is the soul of wit.

I'm with you.

onceahardman

Sep 4, 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Reason why not to use belay loop to hook in... and why a 8 or bowline for certain situations cleared up? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Danxz wrote:

Incorrect.

"Reason(s)" can also be a verb.

Can be, but is not in this context.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook