Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Jason's secret spot
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mitch9

Sep 13, 2013, 10:46 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Jason's secret spot  (North_America: United_States: South_Carolina: Clemson_and_Greenville_Area: Jason_s_secret_spot: Secret_Spot)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I live in travelers rest and for the life of me this has got to be so secret the CIA couldn't find it, is it in gateway park or where, I don't know many people here , I am from NC where bouldering is rampant, so can anyone help me find this boulder? Is it a real place?
In reply to:

newrivermike

Sep 14, 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mitch9] Jason's secret spot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never heard this area referred to as Jason's Secret spot but I can offer directions to the problem Tremor Christ. I'm guessing this is where you're trying to go. Also, the description notes the rock as 'volcanic' which is a bit misleading since it's NC granite.

It's up near Table Rock State Park. From the intersection of 276 and 11, head east on 11 like you're going back toward Traveler's Rest. Maybe a mile from the intersection there's a big pulloff on the north side of the road near a waterfall. There's usually a vendor here, selling boiled peanuts or something. Park and hike up the obvious trail trending left if there are any junctions...I can't remember. 10 or 15 minutes and you'll come right to Tremor Christ which is the obvious line that starts deep on the left side of the cave and finishes at the obvious jug. Also, TC is probably not V13. More in the V9 to V11 range. Really good problem.

phoenixfire

Sep 22, 2013, 4:09 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mitch9] Jason's secret spot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This area is actually called Aztec Complex and has beta listed here on RC.com. Tremor Christ is a V11 with a project grade of V13 if topped out...at last that's what Jason mentioned years ago. Bouldering isn't exactly legal because the area, Wildcat Wayside, is actually managed by the Mountain Bridge area State Parks (Jones Gap & Caesars Head) and they currently don't allow bouldering. I've been working with the CCC to open access to these state parks, but things are moving slowly. If you check out Aztec, keep a low profile and don't be a nuisance so the current blind eye to the area doesn't start paying more attention.
Brad Caldwell
UpstateBouldering.Blogspot.com for more upstate SC bouldering info, including 2Nd guidebook to local spots that's publishing soon:)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook