RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

UpToTheOzone

Oct 18, 2013, 12:19 AM
Post #1 of 6 (7763 views)
Shortcut

Rope behind and in the way of feet when crack climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got back from Indian Creek, and I couldn't help but notice how much of a nuisance managing the rope around my feet was! Any suggestions? I was putting extra weight on my hands to manage the rope before putting my foot back in. And one of the worst parts was jamming with the type between my foot and one side of the crack. it was way painful and hard to stand up as I had trapped the rope and couldn't pull up slack

marc801

Oct 18, 2013, 3:41 AM
Post #2 of 6 (7728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [UpToTheOzone] Rope behind and in the way of feet when crack climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

UpToTheOzone wrote:
I just got back from Indian Creek, and I couldn't help but notice how much of a nuisance managing the rope around my feet was! Any suggestions? I was putting extra weight on my hands to manage the rope before putting my foot back in. And one of the worst parts was jamming with the type between my foot and one side of the crack. it was way painful and hard to stand up as I had trapped the rope and couldn't pull up slack
It's just a simple matter of enough practice to learn how to do it right. Really. Not being snarky, but it's not rocket surgery.

5.samadhi

Oct 19, 2013, 1:05 PM
Post #3 of 6 (7584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [UpToTheOzone] Rope behind and in the way of feet when crack climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

UpToTheOzone wrote:
watch other climbers that got it down and pick up their little tricks/moves.

climbing is very "monkey see monkey do"

(This post was edited by 5.samadhi on Oct 19, 2013, 1:06 PM)

desertdude420

Oct 19, 2013, 11:30 PM
Post #4 of 6 (7531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [5.samadhi] Rope behind and in the way of feet when crack climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You get used to reaching down and flicking the rope to make way for your feet. I don't even realize that I do it anymore.

(This post was edited by desertdude420 on Oct 19, 2013, 11:32 PM)

JohnCook

Oct 20, 2013, 4:41 PM
Post #5 of 6 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Extend the gear a bit more and get the belayer to stand a little to one side. This tends to keep the rope out of the crack. Worked for me on Supercrack, but then, I was brought up on UK gritstone cracks!
Practice makes perfect. An excuse to get on more cracks, if one is needed.

Partner cracklover

Oct 21, 2013, 3:45 PM
Post #6 of 6 (7417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All good points. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned - on hand-sized cracks and bigger, you can sometimes just kick the rope into the crack with your foot. Nothing wrong with the rope being in rather than out.

GO

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook