RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

KatS

Nov 13, 2013, 4:24 PM
Post #1 of 4 (5066 views)
Shortcut

Best place to boulder with a baby
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, hope some climbing parents can help me with this..

Me and my husband are from the UK, but have had some brilliant climbing holidays in the US in the last few years. I'm now very pregnant with our first child, and we are hoping to do a trip as a family next spring (march/april) when the baby should be about 4-5 months old.

We are looking for somewhere to boulder, hike with baby, run and mountain bike, with reasonably predictable weather, nice camping (we'd probably hire a van) and a good range of problems with friendly landings (one of us will be with baby, so no spotter). I'll be wanting some super easy lowball bouldering and not-too technical crosscountry type trails, my husband the opposite...

Main thing of course is we need it to be baby friendly - easy approaches, flat areas away from landings to sit with baby, not too much scary wildlife(snakes...) etc.

We'll have a couple of weeks, and we could pretty much go anywhere... Where would you suggest?

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 13, 2013, 8:13 PM
Post #2 of 4 (5028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KatS] Best place to boulder with a baby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joshua Tree fits that bill. The weather should be pleasant, campgrounds in the park are beautiful, plenty of bouldering with easy access(although also lots of pricklies, so maybe you will want to have a way to keep the little one safe from getting jabbed) and miles of desert hiking.

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Nov 13, 2013, 8:13 PM)

KatS

Nov 15, 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #3 of 4 (4991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Best place to boulder with a baby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestion- it's somewhere we'd considered. I've just had a look at your first timer's guide (thanks for putting it up- very useful info) and it looks like it might fit really well. Definately on the list...! Anyone else have other possibilities?

lena_chita

Nov 15, 2013, 3:53 PM
Post #4 of 4 (4975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KatS] Best place to boulder with a baby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think Bishop, CA might fit the bill, too. But I have not visited there in the spring, so I can't say for sure.

How much flexibility do you have in scheduling your trip? In much of the country, there is a lot of change in temperatures between early March and late April.

If you want reasonably predictable weather, you are pretty much eliminating the East Coast half of the country. I was bouldering in the snow at the end of March in TN. But it could be to hot to climb in the sun next year at the same time.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook