Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Announcements:
Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

marc801

Nov 17, 2013, 6:56 PM
Post #301 of 430 (8270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [walkonyourhands] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jeff - good luck with the site.

Your absolute #1 most urgent priority:
FIX THE SPAM POST PROBLEM

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING ELSE MATTERS ON THE SITE until this is done.

curt

Nov 17, 2013, 11:21 PM
Post #302 of 430 (8248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:

Ditto that. It was nice that you dropped by a couple of weeks ago for a few posts, but the spam is completely rampant again.

Curt

sungam

Nov 18, 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #303 of 430 (8227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Ditto that. It was nice that you dropped by a couple of weeks ago for a few posts, but the spam is completely rampant again.

Curt
This wouldn't have happened if I was a modz.

Edit: Who the F*** 1starred me? Damn savages on this site, I swear.

(This post was edited by sungam on Nov 18, 2013, 12:25 AM)

jt512

Nov 18, 2013, 3:40 AM
Post #304 of 430 (8179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Curt

The spam consistently increases on the weekend. We might hypothesize that all the mods are out climbing, but how realistic is that?

sungam

Nov 18, 2013, 2:48 PM
Post #305 of 430 (8118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Curt

The spam consistently increases on the weekend. We might hypothesize that all the mods are out climbing, but how realistic is that?
This wouldn't be a problem if I were a mod.

lena_chita

Nov 18, 2013, 3:02 PM
Post #306 of 430 (8112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Curt

It does happen. And I have to say, it really sucks to come back to tons of spam.

iknowfear

Nov 18, 2013, 10:47 PM
Post #307 of 430 (8074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeff] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, another sugestion to fight spam (by Xkcd)
http://www.xkcd.org/810/

that would be the star system aplied well.

marc801

Nov 19, 2013, 1:31 AM
Post #308 of 430 (8049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Curt

It does happen. And I have to say, it really sucks to come back to tons of spam.
The discussion platform that this site is using supports a number of automated spam control measures and there are others that can be implemented via a plug-in module; all of which require little and in some cases no moderator intervention to stop 95% of automated spam posts.

jt512

Nov 20, 2013, 7:23 AM
Post #309 of 430 (7973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Curt

True, but imagine how many other things would be.

climbingtrash

Nov 20, 2013, 3:32 PM
Post #310 of 430 (7938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
curt wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
mikebarter387 wrote:
as you know and I can see your numbers are dropping like flys. I am sick of your don't have a life mod. This place has always been abusive but you'd think there would be more respect out there. I'm done your the new myspace of climbing forum.

Was that English?

Canadian maybe?

Curt

not so much eh!

One hand on a Munter and a mouth full of pancakes?

dingus

Nov 20, 2013, 6:41 PM
Post #311 of 430 (7893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeff] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

1. What's your product to attract eyeballs? Right now you don't have a product at all.
2. Basing a website on climbing talk is not going to turn this dead site around.
3. The dregs of rc.com are NOT PRODUCT. I'm not even sure they are people.
4. When you change out the regime PLEASE fire the Republican Guard (ALL MODS AND ADMINS MUST GO... ALL OF THEM).
5. Reformat - instead of this highly gerrrymandered forum structure that serves to separate people, make it an open mosh pit, one or two discussion groups at the most. Get rid of all these stupid little compartments. Its a hold over from ADHA Ritilin kids of the 90s. Grownups can discern for themselves don't need no stinking heavy-handed librarians moving shit around and editing the intellectual property (such as it is) of others.
6. WHAT IS THE PRODUCT? Aside from visiting my one friend here and posting to her thread a few times, there is nothing at all attractive, useful, compelling or even friendly, about rockclimbing.com. Check out the 'hello' thread from a noob in the noob forum and look at the jerk face answer the noob got. DELETE THAT RUDE USER!
7. When you start deleting users, and you will, offer no explanation. Take em out behind the woodshed and shoot em in the head, bury m in the pig slop and tell NO ONE. Ever. Never ever explain your mod decisions. An open door policy will fail.
8. What's your product? Why should I click on this site? Shuffling around little forum rooms with no one in them is NOT A PRODUCT. Its a hold over from the 90s.
9. What's your product? What are you trying to sell? Can you give me a hint? Will you host interesting blogs, for example? If you do? DO NOT.... go to your current user base for content.
10. Delete JT512 but leave ALL OF HER MATERIAL infact. And tell her to fuck off when she complains. Know that she will have deserved to have her material stolen, a hundred times over.
11. Other that that - users own their own content and should be free and enabled to delete any and all of their content, at any time, for any reason, with a few simple steps. A 'delete content' button on the user profile tab, with the ability to select <ALL> or a subset of content, then press <delete> and its gone.
12. How about a U/I that reflects something newer than 1999 IE ver 3??? This site is an ugly motherfaker.
13. Get rid of jt512.
14. I am not angry. He climbs much better than me. I am better looking though.

DMT

ps. Get rid if JT512 with extreme prejudice.

donald949

Nov 20, 2013, 6:50 PM
Post #312 of 430 (7885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was going to say:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYaki2ZvhSE
But Dingus beat me to it.

ncrockclimber

Nov 20, 2013, 8:02 PM
Post #313 of 430 (7861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
1. What's your product to attract eyeballs? Right now you don't have a product at all…

(abbreviated for thread continuity)

...DMT

100% spot on! Especially the part abt JT5whatever.

Partner Jeff
Owner

Nov 20, 2013, 8:04 PM
Post #314 of 430 (7860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still here, just been quiet publicly while we do a lot of work behind the scenes. I've been talking to a lot of people, some users here, some who are more active on other sites, just trying to get a better feel for the broader online rockclimbing community.

Spam-fighting is a priority, currently plan is to make it so all new members have to be manually approved. It'll cut down on new members, so not a long-term plan, but it should help in the short term. We're still working on implementing it though.

mojomonkey

Nov 20, 2013, 8:29 PM
Post #315 of 430 (7847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
5. Reformat - instead of this highly gerrrymandered forum structure that serves to separate people, make it an open mosh pit, one or two discussion groups at the most. Get rid of all these stupid little compartments. Its a hold over from ADHA Ritilin kids of the 90s. Grownups can discern for themselves don't need no stinking heavy-handed librarians moving shit around and editing the intellectual property (such as it is) of others.

I disagree. To some an open pit encourages community, but that would only be a community of those who either like or tolerate that format. Others may get tired of the politics/religion/campfire/whatnot threads overwhelming climbing ones. And folks that like that format already have supertopo - why copy it? (Supertopo even added some "tabs", and there are intermittent user calls to filter the political posts so one pit doesn't even appeal to all users there).

For participating in ongoing discussions, one can always use the "recent posts" link. That provides a supertopo-like view of most of the forums. That is my main stop here and on MP. However, when I am looking for specific info I like being able to browse by specific topics. Or when I've been away a long time and don't want to keep scrolling back through pages of recent posts when I just want to see if there is anything new in topics I care about.

I have zero interest in anything that gets posted in soapbox, for example, and would dislike wading through that stuff regularly.

Granted, too much specificity can be stifling, so I could see some pruning / merging (like happened to the separate photo forums, or merging of aid and big wall). Part of that is due to the poor search capabilities. It is easier to browse aid climbing topics than to try and locate them with the site's search functionality. Improved search would help some, but even a good search engine will have trouble finding you all of the aid climbing topics discussed. Perhaps the ability to tag topics (which the users could then filter by) would improve ability to find older discussions with less forum categories.

Having flaws and doesn't merit tossing the whole concept out in my opinion.

(This post was edited by mojomonkey on Nov 20, 2013, 8:31 PM)

sungam

Nov 20, 2013, 9:06 PM
Post #316 of 430 (7834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Curt

True, but imagine how many other things would be.
A fair point, Jay, a fair point.

marc801

Nov 20, 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #317 of 430 (7814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Holy shit! Not only does Sungam return, but dingus as well??????
Did the Earth just tip on its axis a little?

boymeetsrock

Nov 20, 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #318 of 430 (7807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
dingus wrote:

+1

I disagree. To some an open pit encourages community, but that would only be a community of those who either like or tolerate that format. Others may get tired of the politics/religion/campfire/whatnot threads overwhelming climbing ones. And folks that like that format already have supertopo - why copy it? (Supertopo even added some "tabs", and there are intermittent user calls to filter the political posts so one pit doesn't even appeal to all users there).

For participating in ongoing discussions, one can always use the "recent posts" link. That provides a supertopo-like view of most of the forums. That is my main stop here and on MP. However, when I am looking for specific info I like being able to browse by specific topics. Or when I've been away a long time and don't want to keep scrolling back through pages of recent posts when I just want to see if there is anything new in topics I care about.

I have zero interest in anything that gets posted in soapbox, for example, and would dislike wading through that stuff regularly.

Granted, too much specificity can be stifling, so I could see some pruning / merging (like happened to the separate photo forums, or merging of aid and big wall). Part of that is due to the poor search capabilities. It is easier to browse aid climbing topics than to try and locate them with the site's search functionality. Improved search would help some, but even a good search engine will have trouble finding you all of the aid climbing topics discussed. Perhaps the ability to tag topics (which the users could then filter by) would improve ability to find older discussions with less forum categories.

Having flaws and doesn't merit tossing the whole concept out in my opinion.

curt

Nov 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
Post #319 of 430 (7801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
dingus wrote:

I disagree. To some an open pit encourages community, but that would only be a community of those who either like or tolerate that format. Others may get tired of the politics/religion/campfire/whatnot threads overwhelming climbing ones. And folks that like that format already have supertopo - why copy it?

I have to agree with mojo on that. What is the product? Supertopo already exists, so merely copying that format here doesn't seem like a winner to me. Don't get me wrong, I like ST well enough--I just don't think copying any other site (ST or MP, for that matter) is the best way to foster a growing market niche over here.

Curt

curt

Nov 20, 2013, 10:41 PM
Post #320 of 430 (7795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
1. What's your product to attract eyeballs? Right now you don't have a product at all.
2. Basing a website on climbing talk is not going to turn this dead site around.
4. When you change out the regime PLEASE fire the Republican Guard (ALL MODS AND ADMINS MUST GO... ALL OF THEM).
6. WHAT IS THE PRODUCT? Aside from visiting my one friend here and posting to her thread a few times, there is nothing at all attractive, useful, compelling or even friendly, about rockclimbing.com. Check out the 'hello' thread from a noob in the noob forum and look at the jerk face answer the noob got. DELETE THAT RUDE USER!
7. When you start deleting users, and you will, offer no explanation. Take em out behind the woodshed and shoot em in the head, bury m in the pig slop and tell NO ONE. Ever. Never ever explain your mod decisions. An open door policy will fail.
8. What's your product? Why should I click on this site? Shuffling around little forum rooms with no one in them is NOT A PRODUCT. Its a hold over from the 90s.
9. What's your product? What are you trying to sell? Can you give me a hint? Will you host interesting blogs, for example? If you do? DO NOT.... go to your current user base for content.
10. Delete JT512 but leave ALL OF HER MATERIAL infact. And tell her to fuck off when she complains. Know that she will have deserved to have her material stolen, a hundred times over.
11. Other that that - users own their own content and should be free and enabled to delete any and all of their content, at any time, for any reason, with a few simple steps. A 'delete content' button on the user profile tab, with the ability to select <ALL> or a subset of content, then press <delete> and its gone.
12. How about a U/I that reflects something newer than 1999 IE ver 3??? This site is an ugly motherfaker.
13. Get rid of jt512.

DMT

I gave this five stars. Not because I agree with any of it, but because it's an awesome rant.

Curt

Partner cracklover

Nov 20, 2013, 11:04 PM
Post #321 of 430 (7789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
13. Get rid of jt512.

DMT

I dunno who's cuter, but you write funnier laundry lists, gotta give you that.*

Miss you here, Dingus.

Cheers,

GO

*Though the "How to identify a n00b" thread was pretty damn close.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 21, 2013, 1:03 AM
Post #322 of 430 (7755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the fact that so many people who haven't posted in quite some time have stopped in to see what's going on, here and in other threads, is proof enough that rc.com HAS value. All it has taken is a new owner coming stepping in and saying "Yeah, I'm working on things" and people are interested.

Partner camhead

Nov 21, 2013, 1:04 PM
Post #323 of 430 (7702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I think the fact that so many people who haven't posted in quite some time have stopped in to see what's going on, here and in other threads, is proof enough that rc.com HAS value.

People stop and gawk at car wrecks, too. Doesn't give them value.

I think that the sheer amount of longstanding users (including folks like adatesman and dingus, who have repeatedly taken their toys and gone home) who have posted in here just shows how many bored folks occasionally check into this site, looking for something, anything, to talk about. Oh, and I include myself in this category.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 21, 2013, 1:39 PM
Post #324 of 430 (7691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's true Camhead, but the tone of the comments I am seeing doesn't suggest to me that's entirely the case.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am thinking that if the site becomes useful again, the community will form. And, I think that it's not contingent on allowing the place to remain the 'heavy-handed mods except when it's their friends and they think it is funny' crapper that some have said is the best way to go.

I do, however, find it ironic that the person who helped LOLcats rise to it's apex of popularity, which in turn inspired some of the more insipid text-based content of this site, is now the man who has to take that very mentality and work with it.

rocknice2

Nov 21, 2013, 2:11 PM
Post #325 of 430 (7685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
People stop and gawk at car wrecks, too. Doesn't give them value.

That car wreck happened a while ago. Now its people coming back to see what the garage is doing to fix it.

Everyone has an opinion, some good, some not so much. What is does show is that there is interest in RC.com. Mostly because the other forums don't have a good format to browse threads. If MP changed so that I could go to the first unread post, I would be all over it. As it stands now MP has good threads but it's a pain to keep up with them. I keep coming here in hopes of it getting better. I see a lot of the same people on other forums and if I had to guess, I'd say we are just looking for 'something interesting' to talk about. Provide a good venue and people will post.

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook