RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

marshallgeo5

Dec 7, 2013, 2:13 AM
Post #1 of 8 (5062 views)
Shortcut

Using a grigri to rappel, but not really
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Say I've set up a solid top rope with a static rope attached to 2 anchors, either trees or pro. After rigging to rappel with an extended ATC and autoblock, I want to know how to safely lower myself below the masterpoint so that my weight is now on my climbing rope. In the past, I have "batmanned" but this is definitely not the best technique.

My guide briefly mentioned that I could use a grigri and excess static rope from my anchor to lower myself down to the masterpoint, but we never got around to trying this. Would it be safe to rig for rappel on my climbing rope with my ATC, and then lower myself on an unused tail of static rope from anchor (making sure to tie a stopper knot) using a grigri? I imagine to control the speed of descent, using some sort of redirect such as the Petzl Freino would help to create friction, but I'd love to get some feedback and to know whether this is a complete misunderstanding of what he mentioned? Thanks all!!

marshallgeo5

Dec 7, 2013, 2:34 AM
Post #2 of 8 (5050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marshallgeo5] Using a grigri to rappel, but not really [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I drew a picture to maybe help clear things up in case it was confusing to read. I didn't draw in redundancies and all that but the top rope set up is solid.

InDaDacks

Dec 7, 2013, 4:22 AM
Post #3 of 8 (5011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From your first post, it sounds like you have a solid understanding of what you're trying to accomplish.

I have used a similar technique. A few things to consider:
What is the diameter of your static line? Anything less than 10mm will be more difficult to control when descending to your tr setup.
What will you do with the loose end of your descent line once you are ready to rappel down your climbing rope?

Once your tr setup is equalized, and over the edge, pull it up and set up your rappel while safe. I believe you intend on doing this? GOOD!

If your static line isn't long enough to reach past your tr anchor, you can use the same systems as a multipitch rappel.

JimTitt

Dec 7, 2013, 7:47 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So long as your static rope is 9/9.5mm or bigger then you shouldn´t need any more friction for the Grigri. Make sure you have a reliable system to lock the ATC off while your removing the Grigri like a French Prusik. Remove the stopper knot on the static once your on the ATC, it can be slightly annoying if it jams in something when you want to pull it all back up!

marshallgeo5

Dec 7, 2013, 3:16 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [InDaDacks] Using a grigri to rappel, but not really [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you both I really appreciate it! Always glad to get some advice from an ADKer und ein Deutscher.

My static is actually 11 mm, so it seems like that will be more than enough to make the decent controlled.

You then asked what I'll do with the loose end of my descent line once I'm ready to rappel down my climbing rope. It seems like JimTitt harped on that point below, but just to be clear, I'm assuming this is a reminder to untie the stopper on my static.

And yes, I forgot to mention the autoblock/french prusik, but I always make use of some friction hitch for rappels

(This post was edited by marshallgeo5 on Dec 7, 2013, 3:21 PM)

padlinfool

Dec 7, 2013, 4:19 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes when setting up an extended masterpoint that is difficult to see, we get on a Gri-gri first thing... as it creates a adjustable safety line that allows for partial descent to view how the masterpoint is hanging and top rope is running.

Just set your descent line end first.
Get on it with the grigri.
Then build/modify your masterpoint with the remaining static from a good adjustable stance/view.
Descend, transfer and rap if required.

JimTitt

Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I´m English!
You might find an 11mm static gives a horrific amount of friction through a GriGri, I find anything over 10mm a bit much with a Grigri 1 and I´m a bit on the heavy side.

sbaclimber

Dec 7, 2013, 7:36 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Using a grigri to rappel, but not really [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
Hey, I´m English!
Yeah, right...like I'm an American. Crazy

...oh, wait.Tongue

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Dec 7, 2013, 7:43 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook