RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

erick

Nov 25, 2013, 3:43 PM
Post #1 of 17 (7822 views)
Shortcut

What is climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I pose to you this question: Why the heck are the autogenerated pictures on the homepage unrelated to climbing 85% of the time? It has officially driven me mad. This is rockclimbing.com. I would have never known.

marc801

Nov 25, 2013, 8:18 PM
Post #2 of 17 (7774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erick] What is climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

erick wrote:
I pose to you this question: Why the heck are the autogenerated pictures on the homepage unrelated to climbing 85% of the time? It has officially driven me mad. This is rockclimbing.com. I would have never known.
Do you mean the "Recent Photos" in the right column or the main, larger photo on the upper left of the page?
Just looking at the larger photo, I reloaded the page 15 times - only 4 were arguably non-climbing:
* a snake (probably taken at a climbing area)
* dogs swimming in a river (but it was in the mountains)
* that annoying selfie of the plastic woman with too much makeup
* the cardboard baby lying on a rope

Maybe 'cause people are submitting and/or 5-staring non-climbing photos?

(This post was edited by marc801 on Nov 25, 2013, 8:24 PM)

6pacfershur

Nov 26, 2013, 4:47 AM
Post #3 of 17 (7729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

ask jeff....

Fred20

Nov 26, 2013, 3:48 PM
Post #4 of 17 (7684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] What is climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lmfao!!! i think this is the 3rd time that photo has been mentioned in a post!

erick

Nov 26, 2013, 11:24 PM
Post #5 of 17 (7633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fred20] What is climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fred20 wrote:

lmfao!!! i think this is the 3rd time that photo has been mentioned in a post!

That's exactly the photo that made me snap. annoying plastic selfie. #sohotrightnow Seriously-- front page of rc.com for a YEAR????????????????????????????? wtf.

Shroom

Nov 27, 2013, 12:20 AM
Post #6 of 17 (7625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

erick wrote:

Here are the pics currently in the front page rotation:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos/Ratings/

Note that by clicking on the pic and then on the underlined link that says "Rating" next to the stars you can see who voted for each. Many of these got favorably rating bombed to put them on the front page as either a joke or as a big FU to RC. once any photo gets a minimum of three favorable votes, it gets front page status, and even subsequent low ratings won't remove it. Hopefully this is something the new owner will fix.

Also note that 30% of the pics are photo spam by portreroed to enhance his business and blog in Portrero Chico. Within minutes of him getting the pics approved, they get three "five star" votes from Ed, someone posting as his wife, and a friend. Interestingly, the latter two never post anything and are likely troll accounts Ed has set up to hawk his own pic and secure a spot on the front page. Pathetic.

The best way to change this front page rotation is to find new photos that you like and VOTE for them. The more favorable pics in the rotation, the less you will see these current ones repeated.

erick

Nov 27, 2013, 2:03 AM
Post #7 of 17 (7598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shroom] What is climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not opposed to potrero pics, it's a great area especially in winter. but i get what you are saying. It is drawing from the database of the users, so if no one's putting up good pictures, there won't be good pictures on the front page. But SERIOUSLY if i see that plastic selfie one more time... That shit just be overridden asap. It looks bad for the site. I didn't sign on to rc.com to see Barbie (then why did i come here again?)

Shroom

Dec 24, 2013, 4:40 AM
Post #8 of 17 (7137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:
erick wrote:

Note that by clicking on the pic and then on the underlined link that says "Rating" next to the stars you can see who voted for each. Many of these got favorably rating bombed to put them on the front page as either a joke or as a big FU to RC. once any photo gets a minimum of three favorable votes, it gets front page status, and even subsequent low ratings won't remove it. Hopefully this is something the new owner will fix.

Also note that 30% of the pics are photo spam by portreroed to enhance his business and blog in Portrero Chico. Within minutes of him getting the pics approved, they get three "five star" votes from Ed, someone posting as his wife, and a friend. Interestingly, the latter two never post anything and are likely troll accounts Ed has set up to hawk his own pic and secure a spot on the front page. Pathetic.

The best way to change this front page rotation is to find new photos that you like and VOTE for them. The more favorable pics in the rotation, the less you will see these current ones repeated.

How long is this going to be allowed?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...review.cgi?ID=122837

Partner cracklover

Dec 24, 2013, 5:10 PM
Post #9 of 17 (7085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:
Shroom wrote:
erick wrote:

If you don't think the pic is five-star worthy, give it a four, or three, or whatever you think it's worth. If enough people do this, we will have the pics on the FP that most people like best.

IIRC, it used to be required that more votes were needed to get a pic on the FP rotation. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I think it used to be something like ten votes needed in order to reach consideration for FP status.

The trouble was that few good pics were being loaded to the site, and few people were rating them. So very few pics were reaching the bar, and only like three new pics were in rotation. To fix this, the bar was lowered. I think this did help solve the problem, but with the precipitous dropoff in users over the last year, a new problem has surfaced; there are now so few users that any tiny group can get any pics on the FP rotation.

The solution to this is simple - if more people rate pics appropriately, the pics that most people like best will be the ones on the FP. Please note that at this time, you have not offered a rating on this pic. So that's where I'd start, if I were you.

Of course, the real issue is much thornier to solve: the underlying problem is the small userbase on rc.com. As long as there are very few people coming to rc.com, a small group can always sway things.

GO

marc801

Dec 24, 2013, 5:27 PM
Post #10 of 17 (7080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erick wrote:
But SERIOUSLY if i see that plastic selfie one more time... That shit just be overridden asap. It looks bad for the site. I didn't sign on to rc.com to see Barbie (then why did i come here again?)
You are using the Adblock Plus add-in for your browser, right? And taking advantage of it's custom element and image hiding rules, yes? I haven't seen that selfie for the 6 months since I hid it from displaying.

marc801

Dec 24, 2013, 9:15 PM
Post #11 of 17 (7067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like that pathetic selfie of plastic, heavily made-up, and surgically altered Barbie has been uploaded with a new name, temporarily defeating any AdBlock (or similar) filters.

Shroom

Jan 8, 2014, 3:34 AM
Post #12 of 17 (6727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:
Shroom wrote:
erick wrote:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...review.cgi?ID=122862

The self absorbed attention whore is at it again. Truly pathetic.

marc801

Jan 8, 2014, 3:38 PM
Post #13 of 17 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:
The self absorbed attention whore is at it again. Truly pathetic.

Oh so what. At least they're passable climbing pics and not selfies of overly made up Barbie dolls.

roninthorne

Jan 8, 2014, 4:17 PM
Post #14 of 17 (6675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been posting real climbing pics of real climbers in little known areas on rc.com for almost a decade, maybe not Ansel Adams, but better than barbie, and not promoting any business, and I can't think of a single one that has ever shown up in the rotation.

It's okay, I was never doing it for recognition, but to share some of the spots I know of that aren't as overrun with climbers as the typical scene, maybe attract some tourists to the backwaters of WV that so badly need their dollars (places that NRAC doesn't send a check every year). But how much of that does it take for climbers to stop posting their pics, or believing that the site even cares about anyone but the "names" and moderator pets? Why bother rating a pic when you know it won't matter, in the end?

Still waiting to see the changes to come, but I've been through one ownership swap, and watched one guy pretty much try to run the site for them, making a LOT of mistakes along the way (the bouldering vs roped climbing distinction in the routes db is a joke, and as far as I can tell added little or nothing to the site in the way of contributions, quality, or traffic). Now we have a new set of owners and a lot of feedback... which took exactly two pages to degenerate into SSDD from the same names and faces that have given us so much of that crap that people stayed away in droves, out of boredom, frustration, or disgust.

But to answer your question: Climbing is the hardest, most expensive, dangerous way to avoid walking around a cliff. It is a weekend distraction for city dwellers whose environmental conscience does not include their dog or their group topropes or trespassing on private land as long as some asshat who cranks 5.12 went there first and you can ride their coat tails. It's half a day of exchanging emails and blogsite addresses while doing work on crags half an hour from your condo, snatching up your free T-shirt and tiny PowRBars and going to buy your Jeep at a discount, all while telling yourself this is "conservation" and that you really do practice LNT... when anyone is looking.

Like RC.com, this may change.

Time will tell... but I doubt it.

lena_chita

Jan 8, 2014, 5:02 PM
Post #15 of 17 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] What is climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Right now pictures show up on front page if someone votes for them highly. But most people who log in or view photos do not think to rate the photo, unless it is stellar, or really bad, or as a prank.

I wish the photo rotation included all newly submitted photos, with the ability of the original photo submitters or photo editors to flag the photos as not-for-front page. I'd rather see a bunch of out-of-focus toprope butt shots that get refreshed after couple days, instead of the same old photos over and over.

roninthorne

Jan 8, 2014, 5:35 PM
Post #16 of 17 (6648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Oh so what. At least they're passable climbing pics and not selfies of overly made up Barbie dolls.

They are ads, nothing less.

marc801

Jan 8, 2014, 8:05 PM
Post #17 of 17 (6626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] What is climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
marc801 wrote:

They are ads, nothing less.
Like I said, so what? What's the problem? It's climbing content and until the way front page pic selection is changed, I'd rather have those than the non-climbing pics the OP was complaining about.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook