Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Announcements:
Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 12, 2014, 4:21 AM
Post #401 of 430 (9035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeff] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I noticed the site down for a short time on the 3rd, and thought "looks like someone tugged too hard on the code," but not too much time elapsed and the site was back up.

ncrockclimber

Feb 12, 2014, 4:24 AM
Post #402 of 430 (9033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeff] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thanks for the candid reply.

As a user, I am not sure where that leaves me. While I understand that all of the technical issues need to be resolved, the reason for me to come to this site is content. As it exists now, there is very little content of interest here, especially when compared to the other sites that deal with climbing. Again, I am not trying to be rude or adversarial, rather I am giving you my honest feedback.

I wish you all the best with this site, but cannot see myself being a frequent visitor until RC.com has something interesting to offer me.

Partner Jeff
Owner

Feb 12, 2014, 8:57 AM
Post #403 of 430 (9010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Completely understand, and if I were in your shoes I'd feel the same way.

Do me a favor and make sure your email address tied to your RC account is up to date--after we make front end changes I'll email folks that they should come kick the tires.

Also, on the content front, I'll probably be looking to assemble a volunteer team in the near future that's willing to keep the front page more up to date--it's an embarrassment right now, but I haven't taken the time to understand how the content gets approved there and if that's something that non-admins can do.

ncrockclimber

Feb 12, 2014, 5:01 PM
Post #404 of 430 (8972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Again, I appreciate the reply and your willingness to discuss this. I wish you all the best with your site and will check back from time to time to see how things are progressing.

marc801

Feb 13, 2014, 7:04 PM
Post #405 of 430 (8904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jeff wrote:
That said, most of the changes for the next twelve-eighteen months probably won't be visible to end users. I wish it were sooner, but that's more realistic. Probably a year from now, we'll be starting to make front end changes, but it'll be a slow process.
Quite honestly that's far far too long. You need to get some visible changes done and implemented now. Otherwise there's little point in doing all the work you have planned if in 12 months you're left with 6 visitors per month. The world isn't going to stop and wait while you leisurely play with your side project (aka this site).

markc

Feb 13, 2014, 7:49 PM
Post #406 of 430 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jeff wrote:
Completely understand, and if I were in your shoes I'd feel the same way.

Do me a favor and make sure your email address tied to your RC account is up to date--after we make front end changes I'll email folks that they should come kick the tires.

Also, on the content front, I'll probably be looking to assemble a volunteer team in the near future that's willing to keep the front page more up to date--it's an embarrassment right now, but I haven't taken the time to understand how the content gets approved there and if that's something that non-admins can do.

Once upon a time, an artist friend and I were kicking around ideas for projects with bumper cars. One idea was to put one lonely car out in a bumper car arena/track/whatever. The other idea was to pack the track so full of cars that no one could move more than a few inches, but let's focus on the single car idea.

Regardless of how shiny you make the site, it won't be fun unless there are people to play with. You bought this thing, so it's up to you what you do with it. That said, I don't think you want your efforts wasted. There was a spike of interest when your announcement came out. People I never thought would post again were here. That has waned, and I don't know if an email a year from now is going to create that same opportunity.

Honestly, I check in as much to see if I have email as I do to check recent posts. (I use the rc.com address as a catch-all for stuff I don't want going to my main email address.) That's unfortunate.

Partner camhead

Feb 13, 2014, 8:28 PM
Post #407 of 430 (8887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Jeff wrote:
That said, most of the changes for the next twelve-eighteen months probably won't be visible to end users. I wish it were sooner, but that's more realistic. Probably a year from now, we'll be starting to make front end changes, but it'll be a slow process.
Quite honestly that's far far too long. You need to get some visible changes done and implemented now. Otherwise there's little point in doing all the work you have planned if in 12 months you're left with 6 visitors per month. The world isn't going to stop and wait while you leisurely play with your side project (aka this site).

Uhhh, this site has already gotten pretty much as dismal and as bad as it can get. It really doesn't matter if it gets better in 3 months or 18; he's going to have to pretty much start from square one anyway.

marc801

Feb 13, 2014, 11:10 PM
Post #408 of 430 (8866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
It really doesn't matter if it gets better in 3 months or 18; he's going to have to pretty much start from square one anyway.
Yep. Right now there's still some velocity and inertia which might be around in 3 months - but probably not 12 to say nothing of 18.

Jeff: quit worrying about doing some stuff now that you'll eventually have to throw away. Consider it the hidden cost of web development. And replacing the heart and skeleton first will leave you a dead patient, 'cause right now there are arterial bleeders that you've got to stop.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 14, 2014, 3:02 AM
Post #409 of 430 (8843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He did say he was considering getting the news update going.

what do you all think "needs be don" but soon? Just wondering.

markc

Feb 14, 2014, 3:52 PM
Post #410 of 430 (8807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

I just took a look at the 10 stories listed on the front page. The most comments in any of them? 9. The next highest was 6. While I agree that the stagnant news/articles section shows the lack of enthusiasm on the part of admins, I don't think that's going to be what revitalizes rc.com.

ncrockclimber

Feb 14, 2014, 4:04 PM
Post #411 of 430 (8801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

I think that the owners need to decide what this site is going to be, communicate that effectively and create the content / develop the community to support that vision. I am sure all the tech stuff needs to be done, but without a vision for this site the tech stuff is pretty worthless imho.

marc801

Feb 14, 2014, 4:14 PM
Post #412 of 430 (8796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
1. Radical visual redesign of the front page - immediately shows things are changing and hopefully improving.
2. As part of the visual redesign, decide what content is the most important to the site and give that emphasis - eg: if the forums are considered a major feature and attractant, expand the recent posts section to include more and move it up the page.
3. Get some featured content unique to this site. IOW, not regurgitated news pulled from other sites.
4. Consider killing the news section entirely until it can be done correctly.
5. Improve social media integration.
6. Admittedly back-end and not visible, but creation of a stage environment is critical to ensure that any changes don't horribly bork the real site when they are push to the production environment.

curt

Feb 14, 2014, 6:59 PM
Post #413 of 430 (8762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
marc801 wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Uhhh, this site has already gotten pretty much as dismal and as bad as it can get. It really doesn't matter if it gets better in 3 months or 18; he's going to have to pretty much start from square one anyway.

Agreed. The "fix RC.com before you lose your user base" ship has already sailed.

Curt

JimTitt

Feb 14, 2014, 7:00 PM
Post #414 of 430 (8759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn´t even know there was a front page, doubt I´ll ever look at it even now I know. Forum activity is everything for most users I´d guess, if I´m remotely interested in who´s done the latest 9b I´d go to 8anu anyway.

Partner Jeff
Owner

Feb 14, 2014, 7:59 PM
Post #415 of 430 (8747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

I think that the owners need to decide what this site is going to be, communicate that effectively and create the content / develop the community to support that vision. I am sure all the tech stuff needs to be done, but without a vision for this site the tech stuff is pretty worthless imho.

This.

A better tech foundation is first priority (backups and staging server), but totally agree that tech without vision is useless.

After we get some tech backend in place, then it's about figuring out the vision--I need to spend more time talking to people before I'm ready to make decisions there. After that will come community / content / tech product in line with that vision.

olderic

Feb 14, 2014, 8:31 PM
Post #416 of 430 (8737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The longer you limp along in this half baked state the more long term negaitivity you will create. Just pull the plug now and put it back if/when you are ready to light things up.

Partner Jeff
Owner

Feb 14, 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #417 of 430 (8712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We all want the rate of change to happen faster, and I appreciate everyone caring enough to voice your suggestions. But the reality is it will take time--I'm simply being honest and letting you all know upfront.

If anyone wants to help, particularly around news content, drop me a PM. Otherwise, for folks who are frustrated but don't have the time to help, then I encourage them to check out some of the other climbing sites on the web.

Given that several hundred thousand thousand people visit this site every month, and I get multiple emails per day from people who just signed up, it seems this site still provides plenty of value to people, so there's no sense in shutting it down. Plus the site makes a few hundred dollars a month from ads, and this site is a business, not a non-profit.

Despite this being a business, my goal isn't to have the most popular site that makes the most ad revenue--it's to have a helpful site with an fun community of climbers who are humble and helpful. I'll be working on defining that vision more specifically, that's the next goal after redoing basic tech.

But I can say that folks who are just here to arrogantly prove that they're the best climber and everyone else are idiots or just to complain and be demanding will find those posts will get hidden and they'll be asked to change their attitude or leave.

onceahardman

Feb 15, 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #418 of 430 (8697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I try to provide helpful assistance to people on the injury forum, and have offered (several times) to moderate that particular forum, but have never received a response.

There has not been a new post on that forum in a month. I still check it several times weekly.

I'm sorry, I can help with injuries, but I cannot help you with code issues.

Partner Jeff
Owner

Feb 16, 2014, 6:52 AM
Post #419 of 430 (8654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
I try to provide helpful assistance to people on the injury forum, and have offered (several times) to moderate that particular forum, but have never received a response.

Afraid I've never received anything from you about this--either I missed it or maybe it was sent to the previous site admins.

Anyway, just PM'd you... would love the help.

Partner rgold

Feb 16, 2014, 5:11 PM
Post #420 of 430 (8616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

You especially want the help of onceahardman; he knows what he's talking about and makes a real contribution to the site.

onceahardman

Feb 17, 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #421 of 430 (8532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My offers to moderate the forum were always placed in the in-line comments, never as a message to site owners or other mods, so I certainly wasn't very persistent about the issue.

Just to clarify.

granite_grrl

Feb 18, 2014, 2:36 PM
Post #422 of 430 (8471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
You especially want the help of onceahardman; he knows what he's talking about and makes a real contribution to the site.

kerrect

billcoe_

Feb 25, 2014, 11:44 PM
Post #423 of 430 (8361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:

I'd put Rgold on the list as well if you could press him into service. He's a good man, not just well intentioned, although there is that, but intelligent, well spoken, and has seen and done it all.

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook