Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

lena_chita

Feb 19, 2014, 3:55 PM
Post #26 of 56 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
For a climber, watching climbing is a lot like a fishermen watching a fisherman compete to catch fish. Maybe even less, as the fisherman is outside in the real world whereas the climber competing is in an artificial environment.

Perhaps it can be compared to having sex with a real hot woman, vs having a person describe 2 robots fucking their brains out.

I hope that helps you GG.

Gee, that's a bit over the top... Some people enjoy watching gymnastics and figure-skating, Others enjoy watching football.

Some don't like to watch anything... those are not the ones who should have the input on what sport is televised or included in the Olympics. Tongue

I don't agree with you at all. I have always enjoyed watching other climbers climb, both in competitions and otherwise. If anything, i think it is more interesting for a climber to watch other climbers than it is for a non-climber to watch it, because as a climber you might have a better appreciation of the difficulty of the moves, and what's involved.

granite_grrl

Feb 19, 2014, 6:35 PM
Post #27 of 56 (8832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
I was referring to the cost of rink time or a lift ticket.

whoops, sorry.

For simple ice climbing the biggest cost also comes from actually getting out there and doing it. I know some people are lucky, but I do way too much driving in the winter for the frozen stuff and unless you really like winter camping there are often the costs of a hotel room and eating out.

granite_grrl

Feb 19, 2014, 6:38 PM
Post #28 of 56 (8831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
taylortreadgold wrote:
Honestly ice climbing is a million times more interesting than ice dancing. It makes a lot of sense to be involved as it is still a growing sport and the athletes are essentially "amateur" in the sense that they are not heavily financed by corporate sponsors.

Also rock climbing especially boudlering or speed climbing is much more interesting than some floor events in gymnastics.

I agree with the first half, and disagree with the second half of the above.

I have zero (is it possible to have less than zero? In that case, less than zero) interest in actually ice climbing, myself, personally. But if it were featured in the Olympics? Hell yeah, I'd watch that. I think it'd be cool to see. Wouldn't change my opinion of whether I want to do it, but I'd way rather watch that than, say, ice dancing or curling.

But I have very little interest in watching speed climbing (yawn) or bouldering in the Olympics. Those may be fun to watch in person, but on TV, forget it. I'd way rather watch gymnastics, or even wrestling - a sport that had such poor interest levels they tried to cut it from the Olympics.

GO

I think ice comp climbing is pretty cool to watch. Obviously I have a vested interest, but just in general it's pretty cool.

I agree just watching joe-blow at the crag is pretty boring, but when the time limit is 7min to the top and there are three people on the structure at a time I think it's pretty cool.

JimTitt

Feb 19, 2014, 6:55 PM
Post #29 of 56 (8825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:
taylortreadgold wrote:
Honestly ice climbing is a million times more interesting than ice dancing. It makes a lot of sense to be involved as it is still a growing sport and the athletes are essentially "amateur" in the sense that they are not heavily financed by corporate sponsors.

Also rock climbing especially boudlering or speed climbing is much more interesting than some floor events in gymnastics.

I have zero (is it possible to have less than zero? In that case, less than zero) interest in actually ice climbing, myself, personally. But if it were featured in the Olympics? Hell yeah, I'd watch that. I think it'd be cool to see. Wouldn't change my opinion of whether I want to do it, but I'd way rather watch that than, say, ice dancing or curling.

But I have very little interest in watching speed climbing (yawn) or bouldering in the Olympics. Those may be fun to watch in person, but on TV, forget it. I'd way rather watch gymnastics, or even wrestling - a sport that had such poor interest levels they tried to cut it from the Olympics.

GO

I think ice comp climbing is pretty cool to watch. Obviously I have a vested interest, but just in general it's pretty cool.

I agree just watching joe-blow at the crag is pretty boring, but when the time limit is 7min to the top and there are three people on the structure at a time I think it's pretty cool.

Well thatīs you! Iīve been to 3 ice world cups on business and watched for maybe a total of 10 mins before the bar called. Itīs boring like all climbing comps.
And now itīs time to slump on the couch and watch the Champions League soccer (Bayern Munich vs Arsenal London) which will be 90 mins of incredibly skilled athletes performing an intricate mental and physical choreography to earn a few more millions!

Gmburns2000

Feb 19, 2014, 8:11 PM
Post #30 of 56 (8814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:
taylortreadgold wrote:

GO

Well thatīs you! Iīve been to 3 ice world cups on business and watched for maybe a total of 10 mins before the bar called. Itīs boring like all climbing comps.
And now itīs time to slump on the couch and watch the Champions League soccer (Bayern Munich vs Arsenal London) which will be 90 mins of incredibly skilled athletes performing an intricate mental and physical choreography to earn a few more millions!

soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.

edit: and I live in Brasil.

(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Feb 19, 2014, 8:12 PM)

6pacfershur

Feb 21, 2014, 4:19 AM
Post #31 of 56 (8766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
....having sex with a real hot woman, vs having a person describe 2 robots fucking their brains out.....

SO classy!

marc801

Feb 21, 2014, 4:05 PM
Post #32 of 56 (8738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I think watching grass grow is more exciting than either.

granite_grrl

Feb 21, 2014, 5:47 PM
Post #33 of 56 (8721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.ktuu.com/...ce-Climbing/24575506

American reporter tries out some speed climbing.

rsmillbern

Feb 23, 2014, 4:04 PM
Post #34 of 56 (8675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Could it be related the high initial cost associated with getting into ice climbing?

Or is your question why don't more ice climbers get involved in comps?

It is expensive to get into ice climbing, no question. I think that's what you see slighty more mature climbers who leading the field than the people who just turned 20.

But I was more talking comps and really mixed climbing in general. Was climbing in Quebec with a group I don't normally get out with. Brought them to a drytooling crag. Had one person comment how much fun they had....they had thought that mixed climbing and drytooling was just for elite climbers, they didn't realize that there was plenty of stuff out there for them too.

Yes, it is expensive, but not really than much more than trad climbing (given that prices vary greatly and it is dependent on what you like...)

It seems a lot of people are willing to invest a couple grad on trad gear. You can get setup pretty nice for ice climbing for that as well.

Partner cracklover

Feb 24, 2014, 3:30 PM
Post #35 of 56 (8641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

Cute story but if that's the structure they're competing on, then no way in hell would a real competition of speed ice climbers be something I'd want to watch. That vid confirmed it. Real ice (or mixed) climbing - probably, yeah.

GO

granite_grrl

Feb 24, 2014, 4:12 PM
Post #36 of 56 (8635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Cute story but if that's the structure they're competing on, then no way in hell would a real competition of speed ice climbers be something I'd want to watch. That vid confirmed it. Real ice (or mixed) climbing - probably, yeah.

GO

There never was a competition there, it was all demonstraition.

CTV story: http://www.ctvnews.ca/...mp;playlistPageNum=1

rocknice2

Feb 24, 2014, 6:14 PM
Post #37 of 56 (8620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Most important is that Canada took home 2 gold medals for ice hockey.

dagibbs

Feb 24, 2014, 8:16 PM
Post #38 of 56 (8605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
Most important is that Canada took home 2 gold medals for ice hockey.

Even MORE important is that Canada took home 2 gold medals for curling! As I understand it, this is the first ever that any nation has taken both golds, and the first ever time that a team has been undefeated in the round-robin (Canada women's).

USnavy

Mar 7, 2014, 8:21 AM
Post #39 of 56 (8449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I mean, seriously.

[image]http://theuiaa.org/upload_area/News/medium/2014-02-08_UIAA_2014_Sochi-_P1A8800-copy(1).jpg[/image]

More here:
http://theuiaa.org/...-tower-in-Sochi.html
For the same reason no one gives a damn that [insert random 14yr kid's name] sent V21? The last thing we need is climbing in the Olympics. More Wal-Tard-like bullshit corporate sponsors polluting an otherwise off-the-grid sport. Yea, let's make climbing like football. That's exactly what the sport needs.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 7, 2014, 8:21 AM)

jt512

Mar 8, 2014, 3:15 AM
Post #40 of 56 (8409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

I agree that soccer's got nothing on hockey, but they are incredibly close: in soccer the ball goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores; in hockey the puck goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores. The games are essentially identical, except for the playing surface and the object that goes back and forth.

Gmburns2000

Mar 8, 2014, 12:51 PM
Post #41 of 56 (8392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I agree that soccer's got nothing on hockey, but they are incredibly close: in soccer the ball goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores; in hockey the puck goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores. The games are essentially identical, except for the playing surface and the object that goes back and forth.

I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice. The key difference is that hockey is faster, played over a smaller playing surface, is more intense, and has the ever present potential for a fight.

A few are thinking about converting after having watched the winter olympics, although the men's tournament was kind of lackluster to be honest. There weren't any real thrillers except for the US-Russia game.

JimTitt

Mar 8, 2014, 2:06 PM
Post #42 of 56 (8386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice. The key difference is that hockey is faster, played over a smaller playing surface, is more intense, and has the ever present potential for a fight.

A few are thinking about converting after having watched the winter olympics, although the men's tournament was kind of lackluster to be honest. There weren't any real thrillers except for the US-Russia game.

Surely you are talking about ice hockey? Hockeyīs a rather girlie game played by men bet over with curved sticks hitting a little ball around a grass field.

Gmburns2000

Mar 8, 2014, 8:19 PM
Post #43 of 56 (8369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Surely you are talking about ice hockey? Hockeyīs a rather girlie game played by men bet over with curved sticks hitting a little ball around a grass field.

In North America, which has more native English speakers than Europe, the adjective (field) goes before the game played on the field, and is primarily played by women. Hockey refers to that game played on ice and doesn't require the adjective, though it can be used. Still, if I say that, "I play hockey," it means the game on ice.

jt512

Mar 9, 2014, 6:42 AM
Post #44 of 56 (8349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

sbaclimber

Mar 9, 2014, 7:57 AM
Post #45 of 56 (8336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
JimTitt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

In North America, which has more native English speakers than Europe, the adjective (field) goes before the game played on the field, and is primarily played by women. Hockey refers to that game played on ice and doesn't require the adjective, though it can be used. Still, if I say that, "I play hockey," it means the game on ice.
I am pretty sure Jim was aware of that. I am guessing he was just stirring a bit. Tongue
Here in Germany, many people (including some of my coworkers) get really bent out of shape if you imply that field hockey isn't "real" hockey. Which is why it is so fun to do just that. Sly

Gmburns2000

Mar 9, 2014, 2:03 PM
Post #46 of 56 (8326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
JimTitt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

I am pretty sure Jim was aware of that. I am guessing he was just stirring a bit. Tongue
Here in Germany, many people (including some of my coworkers) get really bent out of shape if you imply that field hockey isn't "real" hockey. Which is why it is so fun to do just that. Sly

Oh I got that. I was poking back and also giving him the pleasure, too. Laugh

Gmburns2000

Mar 9, 2014, 2:05 PM
Post #47 of 56 (8325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

basketball is relevant still? How about handball? Water polo? Football? Aussie rules football? Irish rules football? Rugby? Polo? I'm sure I missed a few. Either way, none of them stand up. Well, football is pretty fun to watch.

sbaclimber

Mar 9, 2014, 5:50 PM
Post #48 of 56 (8304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Well, football is pretty fun to watch.
Wait....which football are we talking about?

Gmburns2000

Mar 9, 2014, 6:41 PM
Post #49 of 56 (8295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

hehe. touche

sbaclimber

Mar 9, 2014, 8:47 PM
Post #50 of 56 (8279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

hehe. touche
Things got really confusing for me when I moved to NZ...where "footy" is rugby, "football" is soccer, and american football is nonexistent.
...and instead of baseball, they play cricket. Just as boring, only longer and with waaaaay more rules. Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook