Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering on/near Long Beach
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bighigaz

Mar 21, 2014, 9:13 PM
Post #1 of 6 (6470 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering on/near Long Beach  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm traveling for work this weekend. I'll be in Long Beach on Sunday, brought shoes and chalk... No gear, not even my crash pad. Just looking for some sandy landings or some moderate high-balls... Any recommendations?
-James

bighigaz

Mar 28, 2014, 8:21 PM
Post #2 of 6 (6206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bighigaz] Bouldering on/near Long Beach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, no response at all... I'm surprised. For anyone else who may have the same question I did, I found great information on MountainProject.com, on the far north end of Crystal Cove, in Corona del Mar. It's not technically a part of the state beach. Head in to the neighborhood area of Corona del Mar, North of the main Crystal Cove beach. Look for surface street parking (good luck). Walk a bit, and you'll find a great little alcove with what appears to be some decent bouldering. I ended up going south on Crystal Cove beach, instead of checking the area in town to the North. Walked the entire beach, then turned around and ran back along the entire length of the beach. Didn't get to do any bouldering since I went the wrong way, but 9 miles of jogging along the coast wasn't too bad. -James

skelldify

Mar 29, 2014, 1:29 AM
Post #3 of 6 (6185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're talking about this place:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/pirates-cove-aka-the-beach-or-corona-del-mar/105924046

It's not worth it. My wife and I went there a couple years ago hoping to get some beachside bouldering in. It's probably the single chossiest "climbing area" I've ever seen. The "rock" is literally just sand that has been packed by moisture and wind. Everything was completely coated in a thick layer of sand that made even the few holds that were solid very difficult to hold on to.

bighigaz

Apr 1, 2014, 7:44 PM
Post #4 of 6 (6121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skelldify] Bouldering on/near Long Beach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skelldify wrote:
If you're talking about this place:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/pirates-cove-aka-the-beach-or-corona-del-mar/105924046

It's not worth it. My wife and I went there a couple years ago hoping to get some beachside bouldering in. It's probably the single chossiest "climbing area" I've ever seen. The "rock" is literally just sand that has been packed by moisture and wind. Everything was completely coated in a thick layer of sand that made even the few holds that were solid very difficult to hold on to.

Thank you, Skell... I guess my time was much better spent running the length of Crystal Cove! I'd rather run 8 or 9 miles in the sand, than crack my head on some chossy boulders...

olderic

Apr 1, 2014, 8:22 PM
Post #5 of 6 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before you dismiss it entirely you ought to research the history of climbing at Pirates' Cove (long history) and at least check it out for yourself.

bighigaz

Apr 1, 2014, 8:41 PM
Post #6 of 6 (6106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Bouldering on/near Long Beach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Before you dismiss it entirely you ought to research the history of climbing at Pirates' Cove (long history) and at least check it out for yourself.
Point taken. Maybe skelldify was in the wrong area. I did see a lot of chossy stuff that fit his description and didn't look like the photos online. Next time I'm in the area, I'll give it another try.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook