RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

bowlie

Aug 31, 2014, 7:49 PM
Post #1 of 3 (4818 views)
Shortcut

Strengthening the shoulder joint for hanging
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone, I am new to climbing and am loving it, but one thing that im having a real tough time with is just hanging from one arm while bouldering. I have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders because of dislocations in the past, so my shoulder joints are a little weaker than most peoples, and i also want to make sure I do this right and dont injure myself.

What kind of things can I do to strengthen the shoulder joint and the tendons around it?

onceahardman

Sep 2, 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #2 of 3 (4657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bowlie] Strengthening the shoulder joint for hanging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bowlie wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new to climbing and am loving it, but one thing that im having a real tough time with is just hanging from one arm while bouldering. I have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders because of dislocations in the past, so my shoulder joints are a little weaker than most peoples, and i also want to make sure I do this right and dont injure myself.

What kind of things can I do to strengthen the shoulder joint and the tendons around it?

You need to research and learn how to really strengthen your rotator cuffs. Or, pay someone (sports PT or exercise physiologist) to work with you in a dedicated way.

But as a caveat, if you are a recurrent dislocator, your own individual anatomy (and/or your own individual soft tissue physiology) may be contributing factors which could make it less likely that you will ever have the same one arm hanging ability as someone who is more gifted.

Coming from a former recurrent dislocator.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Sep 2, 2014, 11:08 AM)

bowlie

Sep 2, 2014, 12:11 PM
Post #3 of 3 (4639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Strengthening the shoulder joint for hanging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well the surgery has stopped any dislocations, im just slightly weaker in the joint as a result of the scar tissue. I will carry on strengthening my rotator cuff though. Thanks

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook