RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

andrewesk

Sep 27, 2014, 4:43 PM
Post #1 of 6 (8344 views)
Shortcut

Need Help In Preventing and Accident!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Good Morning Everyone!
I am in need of your help, I have worked at a gym for the past 4 years and upon moving to where I am now found a climbing wall with 12 routes and no staff. That is right the staff here are just random front desk workers who don't even give a safety brief before allowing anyone off the street to climb. I spoke with the director and have been giving full authority to revamp everything and bring it up to a standard that was never even set before. On to how you can help me!
tl:dr,
-I am in desperate need of any powerpoints on teaching belay classes
-The rules posted at your current gym (as I am consolidating the ones from the last two gyms I worked at and tailoring it to this gym)
-Copy of a blank belay certification class
-Anything and absolutely everything you may think might help me out, seriously I'll take anything I've already poured $350 of my money on replacing broken gear that they have been using.
This isn't a matter of if, but when someone is going to get hurt so I would appreciate everyone's help and experience.

marc801

Sep 27, 2014, 4:57 PM
Post #2 of 6 (8332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewesk] Need Help In Preventing and Accident! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewesk wrote:
Good Morning Everyone!
I am in need of your help, I have worked at a gym for the past 4 years and upon moving to where I am now found a climbing wall with 12 routes and no staff. That is right the staff here are just random front desk workers who don't even give a safety brief before allowing anyone off the street to climb. I spoke with the director and have been giving full authority to revamp everything and bring it up to a standard that was never even set before. On to how you can help me!
tl:dr,
-I am in desperate need of any powerpoints on teaching belay classes
-The rules posted at your current gym (as I am consolidating the ones from the last two gyms I worked at and tailoring it to this gym)
-Copy of a blank belay certification class
-Anything and absolutely everything you may think might help me out, seriously I'll take anything I've already poured $350 of my money on replacing broken gear that they have been using.
This isn't a matter of if, but when someone is going to get hurt so I would appreciate everyone's help and experience.

Does the gym have appropriate insurance? If things are as bad as you state, you shouldn't be using your own money for improvements and you might want to seriously rethink your involvement. Some things are just better to walk away from.

andrewesk

Sep 27, 2014, 5:02 PM
Post #3 of 6 (8327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Need Help In Preventing and Accident! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fully insured. I have walked away from other projects, this one is just an extreme lack of education, just needs someone dedicated to bringing staff up to speed.

ChaChaHeels

Sep 28, 2014, 4:29 PM
Post #4 of 6 (7946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did this place hire you, or you just a concerned volunteer/customer? Is the 'owner' of this sketchy joint reimbursing you for your out-of-pocket expenses? As for the other employees- besides being random desk jockeys, do any of them actually climb? If not, do you have the authority to hire more staff with climbing safety skills who would be motivated to go along with your efforts? As for insurance, did you contact the insurance company yourself, describe the situation, and still get confirmation that their policy was intact? You didn't just take the 'owner's' word for it, did you? I dunno. This whole scene sounds too shaky. It seems sad & inappropriate that you'd have to plead for help in this forum for such critical information. You and this facility's owner should be getting this info from nationally/internationally recognized climbing authorities. The place should be shut down until it comes up to speed. Yikes. Blush

dagibbs

Oct 1, 2014, 5:23 PM
Post #5 of 6 (7625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChaChaHeels] Need Help In Preventing and Accident! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

12 routes and no staff sounds like this is not a dedicated climbing gym as we'd normally think of one. This is likely a climbing wall associated with a regular gym, or perhaps with a university rec/exercise complex. In fact the combination of volunteering and the management accepting that someone would volunteer really does make it feel more like a university or college wall type situation. They likely have a fairly broad coverage of insurance, but nobody that really understands the climbing side of things.

Sadly, no idea where to find such educational resources.

ChaChaHeels

Oct 2, 2014, 12:45 AM
Post #6 of 6 (7567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out climbingwallindustry.org for educational/managerial/legal info regarding climbing gyms. This link takes you to the Climbing Wall Association. The gym I belong to is very well run; they adhere to CWA standards. I think it's great that you seem to be a good guy and motivated to do the right thing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook