Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Not Open!!! Anyway to change this?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

LatrobeClimber

May 10, 2015, 2:04 AM
Post #1 of 4 (7647 views)
Shortcut

Not Open!!! Anyway to change this?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southwestern_Region: Derry_High_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just at high rocks today 5/9/15, and good old game commission came down to greet me and my friend. Took our info and said we would be receiving a citation in the mail.

Officer said it's off limits because of the fungus from the bats that live there (No caves that I know of, so I think they are saying this to enforce their power?) And will be closed indefinitely.

Is there any information that anyone has about the owner, who he is namely. I would be willing to go talk to a lawyer to see if there is a way to get access to this area. It is a great place right in our own backyards that can't be used, which is unfortunate.

-Eamon

healyje

May 10, 2015, 9:54 AM
Post #2 of 4 (7610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LatrobeClimber] Not Open!!! Anyway to change this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No one would close it using that as just an excuse.

Greg Turner, a biologist with the PA Game Commission, has found thousands of dead bats this winter. Photo: Kevin Wenner

http://www.alleghenyfront.org/...ng-thousands-pa-bats

(This post was edited by healyje on May 10, 2015, 9:55 AM)

marc801

May 10, 2015, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 4 (7573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LatrobeClimber wrote:
No caves that I know of, so I think they are saying this to enforce their power?
Or maybe you're just incredibly clueless about the number of caves in that area of the country as well as bat habitats in general (hint: caves aren't necessary to have a significant bat population).

LatrobeClimber wrote:
And will be closed indefinitely.
The route DB here says closed as of November 2006, and I recall hearing of closure years earlier than that.

LatrobeClimber wrote:
Is there any information that anyone has about the owner, who he is namely. I would be willing to go talk to a lawyer to see if there is a way to get access to this area.
Talk to your regional Access Fund liaison or any local climbers coalition. Talking to a lawyer is probably the worst course of action. After all, you're looking at an area that's been closed to climbing for at least a decade.

-Eamon

LatrobeClimber

Jan 18, 2018, 4:20 PM
Post #4 of 4 (5781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found out who the private owner is for Derry High Rocks, it used to be the Smith's of Ligonier but they have sold the property to the Shapira's, Giant Eagle owners.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook