RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

LivingtoClimb

Oct 20, 2015, 4:05 PM
Post #1 of 4 (6830 views)
Shortcut

nOOb Boulderer/Climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey all!

as a total n00b, i have a couple questions...

i have top roped a couple times, outside, with the 3 letter big box store class and had a total BLAST... but since those classes are not available every week, i am going to my local rock gym here in marietta, GA...

when bouldering, i am going to start with VBs and work them and upward to V1s until i get comfortable... my question is...

the route is a color, i understand that... do my feet have to go on the same color too? i would think 'YES' based on the fact that its a route thats been planned...

but would like verification and to be able to tell my wife and climbing partner... 'because thats how its SUPPOSED to be done'

thanks in advance

mk

escalabrasil

Oct 20, 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #2 of 4 (6799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LivingtoClimb] nOOb Boulderer/Climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, if you want to claim you have done that "route". But all it is is a fairly random set of plastic holds screwed onto a wall and taped the same color by someone who was most likely very high at the time. If you don't want to follow his "route", don't. Climb whatever looks fun.

sungam

Oct 21, 2015, 1:41 AM
Post #3 of 4 (6787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There might be notes on the bottom of the boulder or somewhere nearby on what is allowed, or you can ask someone. "house rules" differ from place to place. Some places default as features/screw ons being in for feat, some only small features blah blah just ask someone, and try to make some friends asap because bouldering alone is a lot less fun then hanging out with people between burns. ))

lena_chita

Oct 22, 2015, 2:02 PM
Post #4 of 4 (6691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

LivingtoClimb wrote:
hey all!

as a total n00b, i have a couple questions...

i have top roped a couple times, outside, with the 3 letter big box store class and had a total BLAST... but since those classes are not available every week, i am going to my local rock gym here in marietta, GA...

when bouldering, i am going to start with VBs and work them and upward to V1s until i get comfortable... my question is...

the route is a color, i understand that... do my feet have to go on the same color too? i would think 'YES' based on the fact that its a route thats been planned...

but would like verification and to be able to tell my wife and climbing partner... 'because thats how its SUPPOSED to be done'

thanks in advance

mk

Probably yes, but you should ask people at the gym.

Some gyms have a default where you can use the tape-marked holds only for hands, but can use taped holds, as well as the unmarked screw-on jibs or natural features of the wall for your feet, unless the route description says "tracking", which means that you can only use marked folds for both hands and feet.

Other gyms consider tracking to be a default, and the few routes that allow the use of natural features or jibs would specify it in the route description.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook