Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Road conditions
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roninthorne

Nov 13, 2015, 2:44 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Road conditions  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area: Northern_Devils_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Since no one seems to do much here anymore save bitch about how no one is doing much of anything here, anymore, thought I'd toss this out for information's sake;

The road to the power station and easy access to Northern Devils (Gaan) Canyon, Cerro Road has been closed, and will, according to NFS LEOs, remain closed, until the project to widen 60 from Miami to Superior is completed.

The tunnel is down to one lane either way, with plenty of debris to slice a sidewall if the Jersey walls don't get ya first.

(I just spent $350 in 24 hours learning that little factoid...)

The project was to have completed in late summer. When we came through a week and a half ago, it looked like they were several months behind and would be there until late spring or early summer.

You can still get to the road, from the North Queen Creek Canyon road, the road directly across from the Magma Mine Road. You need a VERY high clearance vehicle with pretty low range 4WD to get over the hill on the old service road that connects the two, and then it's smooth sailing to any of the crags up-canyon.

My guess is this project will see an end to parking on 60 to hike into NDC from the back, and that Cerro will be gated at the highway and the crosscut road when all is said and done. I also think this is far less about public safety than widening the road for all of Resolution's new equipment while conveniently cutting off supply lines to Oak Flat and beginning to train the public to go elsewhere for recreation.

But what do I know?

I'm just the guy who was asking about this threat to Queen Creek climbing a year ago...

Off to WV to put in some new bolts and replace some old hardware with stainless, for the next few weeks.

[/ronin]

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook