Forums: Climbing Information: General:
This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Dec 6, 2015, 4:25 AM
Post #126 of 238 (24915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ah, the old mod duality. Both completely AFK yet locking threads simultaneously. Seemingly impossible, yet somehow happening.

Gmburns2000

Dec 6, 2015, 12:07 PM
Post #127 of 238 (24892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Jeff bought the site at X price knowing Y stats and Z revenue. He probably realized that the site couldn't continue Y and Z with the vitriol on the site, so he made a decision to let the site die until he could make a decision between A and B.

A: after all the vitriol dies, try to revive an already functioning site by encouraging a new generation of content (users not necessarily the key driver), maybe make improvements, and get Y and Z back up so the site could be a long-term money maker.

B: If A isn't at least reasonable, find the balance between X and Z, and sell at a point where the sale price + Z (over time) > X.

A requires more work over time, but could generate much more cash in a growing sport. B requires timing and patience and not a lot of work, but could still turn a good profit. Both are perfectly reasonable. No one should assume that any of the owners ever cared about the people who generated content the site. It's always about the math first, and then after that the method to make whichever math work.

Jeff last logged in less than a week ago, which is a lot more recent than I expected to find after an absence of something like six months. His last post, however, was more than a year ago. The waiting continues.

word on the street says jeff is no longer the owner

wow, that didn't take long.

ncrockclimber

Dec 6, 2015, 6:31 PM
Post #128 of 238 (24869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Nice to see that the original "This place is dead!" thread that I started is still going strong after being locked and resurrected.

FWIW, the rc.com train-wreck has been both entertaining and sad to watch.

Over two years ago Jeff purchased this site. He made a big point of telling us how important the site culture was to him and how he and his wife were focused on “creating a good experience for users and staff” and “starting right now, we are here to support” the community. For the first few months Jeff sanctimoniously moderated where he saw fit and explained how his vision for the culture of the site “non-negotiable based on who I am as a person and what kind of site I want to be associated with.” I am not sure how happigrrrl and rokjox venting their spleens and demonstrating their mastery of online drama creation fits into Jeff’s vision. Since it is the only new content on the site, I am sure it is just what Jeff wanted.

I totally understand that this is Jeff’s site and he is free to do whatever he wants with it. However, I personally find the combination of his initial morally superior tone and professed focus on culture to be completely at odds with his current blatant monetization of the site and total lack of focus on site content or user experience. Based on what he has done with this site so far, it would appear that what Jeff says and what he actually does are two different things. Despite making this post, I have no interest in being a regular user here under the current management. I am sure I am not the only one that sees it this way.

I am off to the gym to work on rehabilitating my injured shoulder. I expect that this post will be deleted the next time I log in here.

Cheers!

iknowfear

Dec 6, 2015, 6:50 PM
Post #129 of 238 (24859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Jeff bought the site at X price knowing Y stats and Z revenue. He probably realized that the site couldn't continue Y and Z with the vitriol on the site, so he made a decision to let the site die until he could make a decision between A and B.

A: after all the vitriol dies, try to revive an already functioning site by encouraging a new generation of content (users not necessarily the key driver), maybe make improvements, and get Y and Z back up so the site could be a long-term money maker.

B: If A isn't at least reasonable, find the balance between X and Z, and sell at a point where the sale price + Z (over time) > X.

A requires more work over time, but could generate much more cash in a growing sport. B requires timing and patience and not a lot of work, but could still turn a good profit. Both are perfectly reasonable. No one should assume that any of the owners ever cared about the people who generated content the site. It's always about the math first, and then after that the method to make whichever math work.

Jeff last logged in less than a week ago, which is a lot more recent than I expected to find after an absence of something like six months. His last post, however, was more than a year ago. The waiting continues.

wait, whaaat? What did he do? Pawn it for 200$ and a fake rolex?

And I for one, welcome our new absentee overlords

iknowfear

Dec 6, 2015, 6:57 PM
Post #130 of 238 (24857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Ah, the old mod duality. Both completely AFK yet locking threads simultaneously. Seemingly impossible, yet somehow happening.

If a thread is locked and no user is there to witness it, what sound does it make?

sungam

Dec 7, 2015, 12:19 AM
Post #131 of 238 (24821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:
I am off to the gym to work on rehabilitating my injured shoulder.
Ack, grim. What did you do? I am just finishing getting over a dumb ankle injury (I fell down the stairs while pretending to be a pterodactyl like an idiot). Injuries totes suck!

sungam

Dec 7, 2015, 7:59 PM
Post #132 of 238 (24755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Apparently the 1 starring stalkers were not amongst those who jumped ship.

iknowfear

Dec 8, 2015, 10:25 AM
Post #133 of 238 (24719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:

any word on who's the new owner?

(This post was edited by iknowfear on Dec 8, 2015, 10:27 AM)

Partner cracklover

Dec 8, 2015, 3:28 PM
Post #134 of 238 (24693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

Jeff has been totally silent on the issue. Not even confirming or denying anything.

GO

iknowfear

Dec 8, 2015, 3:42 PM
Post #135 of 238 (24686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

Jeff has been totally silent on the issue. Not even confirming or denying anything.

GO

Fixed that for you.

iknowfear

Dec 8, 2015, 3:47 PM
Post #136 of 238 (24685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is my 666 Post! where is Pinktricam to clense my metal soul

lena_chita

Dec 8, 2015, 4:14 PM
Post #137 of 238 (24679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

Fixed that for you.

Good fix. I was wondering, we know what happens to houses with absentee landlords. They end up with broken plumbing, salvaged copper pipes, and gas explosions. What's the equivalent for abandoned websites? Anyone knows how I can break off the chunk containing the climbing log? I kinda want to keep it as a souvenir...

As far as moderating goes, I am not moderating the bickering, sorry... because I don't see anything particularly harmful, and nobody is telling me otherwise. Carry on!

majid_sabet

Dec 8, 2015, 7:09 PM
Post #138 of 238 (24660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbers are like unidentified species where they just don't fit in to corporate mentality

They should leave them alone and let nature do its job

jt512

Dec 8, 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #139 of 238 (24639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

Jeff "Legend-In-His-Own-Mind" Widman still has rockclimbing.com listed as one of his "projects," though he may be no more attentive to his own website than he is/was to this one.

(This post was edited by jt512 on Dec 8, 2015, 10:23 PM)

mojomonkey

Dec 8, 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #140 of 238 (24632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I was wondering, we know what happens to houses with absentee landlords. They end up with broken plumbing, salvaged copper pipes, and gas explosions. What's the equivalent for abandoned websites?

Check out gunks.com :)

Partner macherry

Dec 8, 2015, 11:07 PM
Post #141 of 238 (24628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

Jeff "Legend-In-His-Own-Mind" Widman still has rockclimbing.com listed as one of his "projects," though he may be no more attentive to his own website than he is/was to this one.

looks like he's done some random things

markc

Dec 9, 2015, 4:55 PM
Post #142 of 238 (24542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

"I perpetually find myself with more projects than I have time."

Well, that's telling. The last big change was, "Hey, we're killing email!" Since that brought me here as much as anything I just stop in now and then. Maybe we should go back to the wreck!

sungam

Dec 9, 2015, 8:08 PM
Post #143 of 238 (24523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

hi every1 im new webmaster!!!!!!! holds up spork my name is jeff but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 amke a website random ppl like me _… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im str8 monoamory if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl and get ad revenue =) like they say the more the merrier (and more money!!!)!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses and ad clicks!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again _^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

iknowfear

Dec 10, 2015, 1:48 PM
Post #144 of 238 (24464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
macherry wrote:
jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

hi every1 im new webmaster!!!!!!! holds up spork my name is jeff but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 amke a website random ppl like me _… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im str8 monoamory if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl and get ad revenue =) like they say the more the merrier (and more money!!!)!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses and ad clicks!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again _^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

Pancakes, Damn it! PANCAKES!

Partner cracklover

Dec 10, 2015, 11:01 PM
Post #145 of 238 (24434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
Maybe we should go back to the wreck!

You joke, but....

I just checked and the spam there has actually disappeared (too ancient for spammers to care about it anymore) and there are actually climbers posting there again. Oh, only once every few months, but perhaps a resurgence is right around the corner LOL!

GO

sungam

Dec 11, 2015, 3:40 AM
Post #146 of 238 (24415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gah, most important edit of the pasta and I missed it like a chode

oz120

Dec 11, 2015, 4:04 PM
Post #147 of 238 (24372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I miss this place being what it was when I found it. Had it not been for all the guys here I would have saved alot of money and skin not climbing. but I found a place to read what I was interested in. Maybe someday this place will come back to life but with all the lurking I do I don't think it will happen.

Wish I had made more friends on here back in the day cause right now I go maybe 2-3 other climbers I talk to a few times a year.

roninthorne

Dec 11, 2015, 4:37 PM
Post #148 of 238 (24367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grew up in a trailer while my Dad was in the military.

Being called 'trash' by someone like you is a compliment.

May an 800-pound gorilla enjoy congress with you until you expire, and if you ever give birth, I want one of the puppies.

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 11, 2015, 5:04 PM
Post #149 of 238 (24363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

My mother owned a trailer after her husband died. I lived in that trailer for about half a year.

One does not become "trailer trash" simply by having resided in a trailer.

Just as a person isn't labeled "white trash" because they are caucasian or a "terrorist" because the are Muslin.

Really..... are those of you who jumped on that trailer trash bandwagon that simple, or just doing it to get a response out of me?

I assume the latter, and if you are so easily entertained, now you have your response. Have at it.

sungam

Dec 11, 2015, 6:13 PM
Post #150 of 238 (25771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow I've heard "cotton kills" but yeah I agree with you "terrorist" seems a bit intense!

sorry

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook