Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Max Load for a Gri Gri? (beyond human weight)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

xclimber47

Nov 16, 2016, 3:08 AM
Post #1 of 7 (13996 views)
Shortcut

Max Load for a Gri Gri? (beyond human weight)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kind of a weird scenario here, but I was using my gri gri (original model) to lower some tree branches I was cutting down over the weekend. It held up fine, but some of the branches were HUGE- I would not be surprised if we're talking 1000lbs+. From what I can see on Petzl's website gri gri's aren't really tested for max load, but is there any outside testing that has been done to determine what type of load it takes to damage a gri gri?

It felt like the plastic portion of the handle was actually flexing a bit when I used it to release the cam under load, but I don't see any damage. That said, I also don't want to fatigue the cam or a hinge point or anything. At any rate it's a quite old device that saw a lot of action, so maybe it's time to retire it anyways.. just curious if anyone's ever broke a gri gri?

yanqui

Nov 18, 2016, 2:48 PM
Post #2 of 7 (13804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xclimber47] Max Load for a Gri Gri? (beyond human weight) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've read that the grigi holds to around 9 kn = 2024 pounds of force. I've never heard of one breaking.

sbaclimber

Nov 18, 2016, 8:39 PM
Post #3 of 7 (13782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] Max Load for a Gri Gri? (beyond human weight) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yanqui wrote:
I've read that the grigi holds to around 9 kn = 2024 pounds of force.
...and that is probably "working load".
I think breaking is fairly irrelevant (and why we haven't heard of it), because whatever rope is being used will slip and/or tear before the device fails.
The only way to actually break a grigri is probably throw a loop of something stronger through it and pull, pull, pull.
As long as one end of whatever is running through it can give though, there is little chance the grigri itself will ever break.

The plastic handle on the other hand, sure, that can break...Wink

dynosore

Nov 21, 2016, 5:05 PM
Post #4 of 7 (13640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually used a GriGri the same way. Works pretty well. But it's my "retired" GriGri. Any equipment I use for tree work or zip lines doesn't go climbing with me. Probably overly cautious, but microfractures and all that Tongue

Gmburns2000

Nov 22, 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #5 of 7 (13558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xclimber47 wrote:
Kind of a weird scenario here, but I was using my gri gri (original model) to lower some tree branches I was cutting down over the weekend. It held up fine, but some of the branches were HUGE- I would not be surprised if we're talking 1000lbs+. From what I can see on Petzl's website gri gri's aren't really tested for max load, but is there any outside testing that has been done to determine what type of load it takes to damage a gri gri?

It felt like the plastic portion of the handle was actually flexing a bit when I used it to release the cam under load, but I don't see any damage. That said, I also don't want to fatigue the cam or a hinge point or anything. At any rate it's a quite old device that saw a lot of action, so maybe it's time to retire it anyways.. just curious if anyone's ever broke a gri gri?

yer gonna die!!!! PiratePirateMonkeyBeerPirate

xclimber47

Nov 23, 2016, 3:13 AM
Post #6 of 7 (13539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing gear is just too damn useful for other things.. I suspect there's no harm in continuing to use it, but I may retire it nonetheless. I think the only thing I'd be worried about is fatiguing the metal on whatever hinge point the cam rotates around. People still believe in micro-fractures? I'll take all those carabiners you retired after dropping

kennoyce

Dec 22, 2016, 8:02 PM
Post #7 of 7 (12253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xclimber47 wrote:
Climbing gear is just too damn useful for other things.. I suspect there's no harm in continuing to use it, but I may retire it nonetheless. I think the only thing I'd be worried about is fatiguing the metal on whatever hinge point the cam rotates around. People still believe in micro-fractures? I'll take all those carabiners you retired after dropping

I'ts quite obvious that you don't have any idea what metal fatigue is but it's not something you need to worry about in this case. I can guarantee you that as long as the gri gri isn't physically deformed you have nothing to worry about and can continue to use it without fear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook